Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky pic quailty on xbox

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Guys just got the skyplayer on my xbox. quailty of picture isint the best. its watchable but not HD. Is there anything I can do to fix this.
    I have put a gold Hdmi wire instead of the standard 1 but still not the best. Also i have a surround sound but its not coming thru on the xbox.

Any help be great guys thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Glad you got it up and running for starters :)

Ok first off I don't think you can get a HD picture on the sky player through the xbox but I am open to correction. There are three picture settings on the sky player, Low, Medium and High. Generally the sky player will suss out what picture quality is best for the speed you are getting at that time. You can change this most times by hitting the bumper buttons on the controller above the triggers (LB and RB)

Now you said to me in the pm conversation that you had netflix up and running too, are you using this while using the sky player? Or something else on your network using some of the bandwidth? Take my setup for example, I have a 10 meg line, if I am downloading on my laptop while streaming the sky player obviously the picture on the sky player suffers a little if you get me?

Have a try changing the setting yourself first and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As GAAman points out, your xbox sky player picture quality is based solely on your bb speed and your available bandwidth. If you've only got a <3 meg dsl line, it's not really going to be the best. The last time i used xbox skyplayer was on the parents 5 meg upc connection; it worked perfectly (very close to tv quality) on the high setting when it was the only active host on the network. If somebody started downloading/streaming on another host, the downgrade of picture quality was almost instantaneous.

Also, do not buy all the waffle about gold hdmi cables. If it's only a couple of feet in length it's going to make shag all difference

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Picture quality is not as good as the regular sky box no matter what connection

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Watched yesterday's matches on SkyPlayer on the Mac Mini. Very close to TV quality to be honest - fooled a mate who dropped around for the Utd/Arsenal game. I've a 25mb UPC connection which had the odd blip around lunchtime but otherwise was solid.

Used to use the Xbox last year - this seems a step up, quality-wise - though my brother tells me that regular client updates are improving the quality of picture even on his 3mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As all above the quality will self adjust depending on the speed of your broadband.

Ive tried it several times running on three broadband and i got squares. But on UPC 25MB broadband its just as the same as TV quality. Do remember you have to be subrsibed to HD channels on Sky to see them. Not even sure can you watch them on Xbox though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Anyone else find that Sky Sports (especially when watching live football) has appalling quality? Very unstable also; constantly going from high to low and back again. There's no option to set the quality, you have to rely on the AUTO setting.

My BB can stream multiple HD videos through iPlayer simultaneously so there's no issues with the connection. Just seems as though either Sky can't cope with the demand, or they're throttling the bandwidth during peak events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Picture quality is not as good as the regular sky box no matter what connection

Agreed, I had it running on a 25Mb connection & although it streamed perfectly & without interruption, there is without a doubt a difference between it & the real box. It's heavily compressed & on my meager 42" plasma, there was clear artifacting.

Advertisement