Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Fibre to the Home 60mbps, much much slower on WiFi

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

I just sign up to the Magnet FFTH (60Mbps), it is just fantastic IF I connect my PC directly to the wall socket!

However, IF I use connect through WiFi, the speed can only reach 11Mbps...

Here is some information about my configuration:
    First, the wireless router comes from Magnet is Ruckus VF2811 (The latest firmware update is in 2007!!! Kinda old...isn't it!)

I have two wireless cards (ASUS PCE-N13(802.11b/g/n), Dlink DWA-140(802.11b/g)) on my PC, and also tried to tune the router setting to its maximum (Wireless Mode: 2.4 GHz 802.11g only, Date ?Rate: 54Mbps, Transmit Power: Full)

Can anyone suggest the solutions to get the higher WiFi connection speed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Check the router configuration to ensure that it is on 802.11g and not b only.

The max data throughput rate for 802.11b is 11mbit/s which would lead me to think that it's probably a configuration issue.

Other than that, you could check that there isn't something else broadcasting on the same frequency causing problems e.g. video senders are usually the problem and these will not show up on your PC/Mac WiFi scan as they are not using the same technology, but just inhabit the same frequency ranges.

Try changing the router's channel number to something else and see if things improve.

Also, are you very far away from the router?

Sometimes speeds can drop if you are located very far from the router, or if the building has internal walls that make radio signal penetration difficult i.e. stone or concrete.

If that doesn't help, I would suggest getting onto Magnet's tech support line. It's possible the router's faulty or there's something configured a little oddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,419 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The quick start guide for that router is also dated 2007 and talks about support for Windows 2000 and XP i.e. no mention of Vista or Win7. I think you need to ask Magnet to supply you with more modern technology.

I doubt if that router supports 802.11g

http://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/41-vf2811-quick-start-guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Use inssider to see what networks are around you, if they're over lapping, and what speed your network is on. If your network is on the same channel as another, then change your channel.

Wifi speeds will always be slower than wired. If you're looking to get close to the 60Mbps over Wifi, then forget it. It's highly unlikely that you ever will. Wifi speed will be dictated by any number of things, many of which you will have no control over (distance, materials in the walls/floors/ceilings, outside interference, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I would just add one caveat to that. If the signal that is interfering with your WiFi network is not another WiFi network e.g. if it's a TV 'digisender' or some other device using the same spectrum as WiFi, then it will not register as another network. WiFi devices will just see it as noise/interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,419 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My money is on the fact that the OP has very old technology, it looks like UPC aren't the only BB supplier giving cheapo crap routers to their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Hi all,

I just sign up to the Magnet FFTH (60Mbps), it is just fantastic IF I connect my PC directly to the wall socket!

However, IF I use connect through WiFi, the speed can only reach 11Mbps...

Here is some information about my configuration:
    First, the wireless router comes from Magnet is Ruckus VF2811 (The latest firmware update is in 2007!!! Kinda old...isn't it!)

I have two wireless cards (ASUS PCE-N13(802.11b/g/n), Dlink DWA-140(802.11b/g)) on my PC, and also tried to tune the router setting to its maximum (Wireless Mode: 2.4 GHz 802.11g only, Date ?Rate: 54Mbps, Transmit Power: Full)

Can anyone suggest the solutions to get the higher WiFi connection speed?

Hi gogodunhill

Did you ever get this resolved?

I've just signed up to Magnet 60mb and am experiencing the exact same issue (Get 60mb plugged into wall but only around 7mb through wifi, with 8mb upload!)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're on b/g, AKA 54Mbps you wont ever get your full speed as wireless never operates at 100% and often gets nowhere close. You need to change to Wireless N(100-300Mbps) and ensure ALL your devices are N or not connected. Then you should see the 60Mb. Once one non N device connects though you're back to 54.

ED E wrote: »
    If you're on b/g, AKA 54Mbps you wont ever get your full speed as wireless never operates at 100% and often gets nowhere close. You need to change to Wireless N(100-300Mbps) and ensure ALL your devices are N or not connected. Then you should see the 60Mb. Once one non N device connects though you're back to 54.

Hi Ed

I wouldn’t be an expert in networking equipment or terminology :(

I hear you can get a dual channel wireless N that would allow N devices continue to achieve top speeds even if non-N devices are connected?

Could you recommend a good wireless router for a decent price that would allow me achieve close to the 60Mb (Or higher even for future proofing in case I receive a free upgrade to a faster line).

Additionally, I believe Magnet limits the number of IPs to 6....maybe something I need to consider also when getting a new router as I may have more eventually.

rodge123 wrote: »
    Hi Ed

I wouldn’t be an expert in networking equipment or terminology :(

I hear you can get a dual channel wireless N that would allow N devices continue to achieve top speeds even if non-N devices are connected?

Could you recommend a good wireless router for a decent price that would allow me achieve close to the 60Mb (Or higher even for future proofing in case I receive a free upgrade to a faster line).

Rather than paying loads for a dual band maybe just get a single and add it to your current one. Use the old one for slow devices, new one for fast ones. You could call the SSID's Something_Fast and Something_Slow and away you go.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/simplesharing/WNR1500.aspx - Worth a look
    Additionally, I believe Magnet limits the number of IPs to 6....maybe something I need to consider also when getting a new router as I may have more eventually.

Think you're confusing this somehow. Locally you can have 250 IPs.

ED E wrote: »
    Rather than paying loads for a dual band maybe just get a single and add it to your current one. Use the old one for slow devices, new one for fast ones. You could call the SSID's Something_Fast and Something_Slow and away you go.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/simplesharing/WNR1500.aspx - Worth a look

Think you're confusing this somehow. Locally you can have 250 IPs.

Before I go ahead and purchase a wireless router....I'm getting sky+hd installed without multiroom. I'd like to stream it to the bedroom also. It has to be wireless and and ideally would be in hd.

Might any of those netgear routers work as a video sender also?

• Advertisement

You're getting into a whole new ballgame there, and no networking hardware will do that. You'll need something like a slingbox to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Hi,

Does anybody know if I need to have password and login for magnet fiber if I'm using third party routers?

Advertisement