Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a new lawn

Options
  • 19-01-2012 2:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

I did a search through 12 pages and couldnt find any threads so sorry if it's been asked before.

We have a grand big garden which is a sun trap(when there is any) but the grass on it is only patchy at best (it looks terrible) so i wanted to reseed it and start fresh. The soil is so black its unreal, and very grainy rather than like regular soil. We have a 6 month old dog and he's been pooing and peeing on it since we moved in in august. will this matter? obviously it'll be a no go once the lawns been sown.

our neighbours either ides gardens are total weed jungles but ours is strangely unweedy. Should i worry during a re-seed?

I'm a total novice at this and was just wondering when is the best time to start and what do i need to do before i do it?
    i googled it but all i'm seeing is american results.

any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

check this step by step plan for your lawn and the other links too to help you:

http://www.gardenhealth.com/lawn-care/projects/how-to-sow-a-new-lawn/

If you click on the link and then the title lawn care that should answer all of your questions. any further ones just reply to this post.

Also yes the dog will do more damage than good to the soil. so even before he gets a chance to poo on the lawn get him off it as it will cause the grass to turn yellow etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

get a bag of 10-10-20 fertilizer in your coop. should costy around €25 for a 50 kg bag and spread some along with the grass seeds. the p+k in this will help to extablish the seeds. especially if the soil is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

get a bag of 10-10-20 fertilizer in your coop. should costy around €25 for a 50 kg bag and spread some along with the grass seeds. the p+k in this will help to extablish the seeds. especially if the soil is poor.
    7-6-17 is better for lawns unless you want silage type grass that you'll be cutting every few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

thanks so much for the heads up folks
    but
    7-6-17?
    10-10-20?

i've no idea what these mean..I'm on me way to read the link above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

david75 wrote: »
    thanks so much for the heads up folks
    but
    7-6-17?
    10-10-20?

i've no idea what these mean..I'm on me way to read the link above
    These are agricultural fertilisers,a much more economical way to purchase rather than the the garden centres etc., particularly if you have a large area.
    A fistful per sq. meter should be plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

ah brilliant! thanks, i'll look into it:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

aujopimur wrote: »
    7-6-17 is better for lawns unless you want silage type grass that you'll be cutting every few days.

10-10-20 would still be better as it has more p+k in it which is vital when the seeds are getting established. the extra 3 nitrogens wont have much effect. the nitrogen will have gone out of it anyway after 6 weeks where there should be an even crop of grass after developing.

Advertisement