Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error - 503

Options
  • 19-01-2012 3:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody else been getting these? Or observing generally slow boards.ie speed?

It might just be me; the wireless can be a little bit pestilent when I'm at home, but most other sites have been operating fine.

Mods please move if this is the wrong forum.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Me too. Wired connection. Uploading this reply will probably add to my frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Same here, no more error-503 but still slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Got a few before midnight. DownForEveryone was showing Boards as up....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It was messed up for me for a bit, then I tried touch.boards.ie on my laptop and it worked perfectly fine. I'm just sayin, fcuk vbulletin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Boards will always be noticeably slower between 2am and 6am, it's our quiet period where the least amount of people are on but it is the time where we decide to run backups of all your lovely posts from the previous day so that if a disaster hit, the downtime for getting boards back up and running would be minimal.

The site will be slower during this time but it's better than what was in place before where the whole site shuts down for 30 minutes.

downforeveryone will show boards as up even if it is serving 503's. a 503 basically means the problem is on our end (connection times out between yourself and the server). downforeveryone will only show boards as being down if you can't get a connection to boards at all, but since we serve you the 503 boards is technically still up.

Hope this clears a few things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I seem to be getting a hell of a lot more 503's and time-outs when I'm browsing from UCC than when I'm at home. Sometimes I get worried that someone's gone and banned all of Cork again. It was funny when I didn't live here...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

got it just now.
    Service unavailable :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Yep - much more 503's than usual lately..that and pages just hanging while loading - I checked and other sites are always working fine so don't think it's an issue my end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Really annoying, and loads of double posts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Boards will always be noticeably slower between 2am and 6am, it's our quiet period where the least amount of people are on but it is the time where we decide to run backups of all your lovely posts from the previous day so that if a disaster hit, the downtime for getting boards back up and running would be minimal.

The site will be slower during this time but it's better than what was in place before where the whole site shuts down for 30 minutes.

downforeveryone will show boards as up even if it is serving 503's. a 503 basically means the problem is on our end (connection times out between yourself and the server). downforeveryone will only show boards as being down if you can't get a connection to boards at all, but since we serve you the 503 boards is technically still up.

Hope this clears a few things.

Bring back the 3am club!

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »
    Bring back the 3am club!
    ah the the "it's really time for you to go to bed alarm neil" how i miss thee.

however from what i'm told by infrastructure guys it's less taxing to spread it out and keep the site up than down for a specific period.

you may have noticed some 503's and oddities going on at around 12:30pm today. We're working on improving www.boards.ie/search, we had to do a full import of all data which started on monday, the hicup and 503's you saw today were due to a 'catch up' script trying to fill in all the posts from monday to now.

just to add also that the improved version of search is not live yet but will be very soon but you guys will not really see any cosmetic changes but hopefully it will be more stable and *crosses fingers* faster.

*edit* I use the word but a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

just to add also that the improved version of search is not live yet but will be very soon but you guys will not really see any cosmetic changes but hopefully it will be more stable and *crosses fingers* faster.
    Think I see the new search now?

A lengthier display of searched posts makes it easier to scan the results without having to click through to the appropriate thread, so that's definitely a big improvement on the old system so thanks for that.

later10 wrote: »
    Think I see the new search now?

A lengthier display of searched posts makes it easier to scan the results without having to click through to the appropriate thread, so that's definitely a big improvement on the old system so thanks for that.
    You guys sure don't miss much.

You're correct new improved search went live yesterday, seems to be holding up pretty well.

Advertisement