Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boring a whole for an extractor

• 19-01-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I have an extractor id like to bore a hole for. The hole needs to be 5 inches wide. There will be ground and wall kitchen cupboards in the way. Obviously the hole will go above the extractor(already in place).

The kicten is an extension which is now attached to another extension (beloingg to the house next door). But the neighbours extension is approx. a foot lower as we are on a hill. So id have to be sure the hole is certainly above their roof which is a flat felt roof

I am open to running a funnel ontop of the wall cupboards to drill out to a back wall if needs be. Can you get a funnell long enough?

Could someone give me a few suggestions here? i know I can put in filters into the extractor and replace yearly but i would prefer the hole.

Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

allycavs wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have an extractor id like to bore a hole for. The hole needs to be 5 inches wide. There will be ground and wall kitchen cupboards in the way. Obviously the hole will go above the extractor(already in place).

The kicten is an extension which is now attached to another extension (beloingg to the house next door). But the neighbours extension is approx. a foot lower as we are on a hill. So id have to be sure the hole is certainly above their roof which is a flat felt roof

I am open to running a funnel ontop of the wall cupboards to drill out to a back wall if needs be. Can you get a funnell long enough?

Could someone give me a few suggestions here? i know I can put in filters into the extractor and replace yearly but i would prefer the hole.

Thanks
    Alan

The easiest way to make sure you avoid the neighbors flat roof is to go from the outside in with a small center hole first, however from what your saying maybe boring out the back wall and running some flat ducting along the top of the wall units would be the best option.

Once its not a huge distance to your back wall the extractors performance shouldn't be affected. The cornice will conceal the ducting and you wont have to worry about potentially causing damage to the neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭allycavs

hi elbow thanks for the reply.

There is approx. a 6 feet run from the extractor to the adjacent wall. The extractor would be a low range model and not one of the more high end models. So you think performance could be affected?

hi elbow thanks for the reply.

There is approx. a 6 feet run from the extractor to the adjacent wall. The extractor would be a low range model and not one of the more high end models. So you think performance could be affected?

It will be affected a little compared to venting it straight out but its still going to do what its supposed to do, I've fitted kitchens where i've had no choice but to vent the hood 12 or 13ft away and there was a negligible difference in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭allycavs

Excellent Cheers. Sounds like a plan so. Last question. thanks for you help btw. What kind of drill should I use. ill probably have to go to a tool hire place. I was thinking of just using a long but thin drill bit and drill multiple holes. on either side of the wall and use a bolster to clear out the rest?

Excellent Cheers. Sounds like a plan so. Last question. thanks for you help btw. What kind of drill should I use. ill probably have to go to a tool hire place. I was thinking of just using a long but thin drill bit and drill multiple holes. on either side of the wall and use a bolster to clear out the rest?

You've 2 options, what you said above would be fine and ive done it many times but its a bit slow and not the cleanest job.

Or the better option, hire a drill and a 5" core bit (far quicker and cleaner).

Dont forget that you'll need a 6mm masonry bit, a few red rawl plugs and a few screws to fit the vent on the wall outside.

And get some duct tape aswell!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement