Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear John....

Options
  • 19-01-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

This might bring back some memories for Kerry folk of a certain vintage.
    John Drummey, who used to present "Into the Night" on Radio Kerry in the early '90s is revisiting his Dear John letters, and is posting one a week on his website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kingdumb wrote: »
    This might bring back some memories for Kerry folk of a certain vintage.
    John Drummey, who used to present "Into the Night" on Radio Kerry in the early '90s is revisiting his Dear John letters, and is posting one a week on his website

oh God! Yeah I remember this also :o

Ah brilliant, thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes, I remember it was the done thing around the schools in Tralee to compose fake letters and send them in. The more outrageous the better! I remember once or twice, he'd be reading them live and not be able to keep in his laughter even though the content of the letter was "heartwrenching"!

What's with all the nostalgia on the kerry forums these days?? Someone suggested a Retro/Nostalgia thread for Kerry - I'm thinking it's a good idea.
    What do you think, Mods?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I am DREADING if he reads one of the letters I sent in again...I remember him reading it live on hair and I almost died! Thing is though, I can't remember who it was I sent the letter in about! LOL
    Remember it so well, sitting listening to it in my room, doing the last of my homework! ah lads all this nostalgia is bringing me back this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

ongarboy wrote: »
    What's with all the nostalgia on the kerry forums these days?? Someone suggested a Retro/Nostalgia thread for Kerry - I'm thinking it's a good idea.
    What do you think, Mods?

A psychiatrist would probably say it is do with the recession/depression. We are going back into our memories for 'good' moments in our lives i.e. the 'good old times' that we have a rather rose tinted glasses view of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kn wrote: »
    A psychiatrist would probably say it is do with the recession/depression. We are going back into our memories for 'good' moments in our lives i.e. the 'good old times' that we have a rather rose tinted glasses view of.

well then lets hope they don't get a look in to this thread in a few weeks when it's taken hold eh ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Afraid this isn't retro enough for me!

Anyone of ye young wans remember "Horizon Radio", a very popular but short lived local pirate station aroung '86-'87ish?

Sardonicat wrote: »

Anyone of ye young wans remember "Horizon Radio", a very popular but short lived local pirate station aroung '86-'87ish?

Was that the Michael Donovan station? Full of ads read out by Michael himself is what I remember most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

kn wrote: »
    Was that the Michael Donovan station? Full of ads read out by Michael himself is what I remember most.

I doubt it.

The one I'm thinking of was very popular with the teens in the evenings. We used to outdo eachother sending in cryptic requests and bizarre love stories. I used to challenge the DJ to find and play obscure B-sides (remember those?) 'cos I was like, really "cool and alternative, man". :o:o

Perhaps Horizon wasn't the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Sardonicat wrote: »

AFAIK it was based in Killorglin transmitting from the back of the Goat Inn or one of the Djs lived there

Tom McCaul owned the place at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm from North Cork but the 'Dear John' letters were avidly listened to by us. A great topic of conversation in school the next day in the early90s.

id forgotten all about them til I read this, thanks a mil:D

I just listened to one, the voice, the music, Richard Marx/Airsupply.... It all came flooding back, thanks again

• Advertisement

I remember sometimes John Drummey would read them out with the music playing in the background and for dramatic effect he would stop reading at certain points but sometimes you could make out he was stopping to piss himself laughing while he upped the volume of the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnDrummey

Me...laugh?! Wait until you hear next Monday's Dear John Letter! Follow me @PRandMedia to be notified when the letter is live online!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

just listened to the one from 4th Feb, and its hilarious! it had to be a p*ss take!
    Can't wait to hear more letters. Such a good idea, well done John!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

4th of Feb letter is funny alright. I've obviously led a very boring life.:D Thank God

Lisha wrote: »
    4th of Feb letter is funny alright. I've obviously led a very boring life.:D Thank God

Somebody was really taking the piss with that one. There is no way that one was for real. :D

Advertisement