Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Titan reviews

Options
  • 19-01-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi,

Have been told i am due an upgrade with Vodafone - 4 months early too, so i was surprised. Currently have a HTC Desire HD and this has honestly been my best phone to date. Very happy with it. Not too big (hence why i am looking at the Titan).

Has anybody been using this regularly? How do you find it? One of the main issues i see is apps in the Windows market - Are there enough?

Any information you have on it would be appreciated.. i like the spec, good processor, front facing camera (HD doesn't have). I could probably live without the expandable memory too if they released 16gb (32gb is probably wishful thinking)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Where is the Win Mo Forum?

Anyway, the phone looks decent. I do like the size of it but I've never played around with a Win Mobile 7 phone.
    I'd suggest you search on Youtube for reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Where is the Win Mo Forum?

Is that a dig to suggest i posted in the wrong forum? If so, apologies but yeah eh.. sound.

I have also looked online but i wanted to see what people on this forum thought as i have been helped here previously when trying to Root, look for apps, reviews etc and have rarely been steered in the wrong direction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Is that a dig to suggest i posted in the wrong forum? If so, apologies but yeah eh.. sound.

No, it was a genuine question. There is only a general Mobile & PDA forum to help with Win Mo queries.

OK apologies! Hard to get the tone.. i thought you were directing my question to that general forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It should be in the general forum, you'll get much more opinions on WP7 there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've moved this over

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I have also looked online but i wanted to see what people on this forum thought as i have been helped here previously when trying to Root, look for apps, reviews etc and have rarely been steered in the wrong direction

WinPh7 is a strange OS to get used to if youre coming from android. I got 1 to try out before and couldnt get used to it. Very rigid in its style and design but it works for a lot of people. Very limited community compared to android though.

if its the screen size youre drawn to, you could try the Android version of the Titan. The Sensation XL. Its basically the same phone hardware just with Android

WinPh7 is a strange OS to get used to if youre coming from android. I got 1 to try out before and couldnt get used to it. Very rigid in its style and design but it works for a lot of people. Very limited community compared to android though.

if its the screen size youre drawn to, you could try the Android version of the Titan. The Sensation XL. Its basically the same phone hardware just with Android

Thanks for that - I will look into the Sensation XL. One other thing that was leaning me towards the windows phone was due to development of an android emulator (Bluestack) that will allow android apps on windows devices. As the Titan is on OS 7(.5 i think), does anyone know if bluestack will work or is it being released with a later version of the OS

Thanks for that - I will look into the Sensation XL. One other thing that was leaning me towards the windows phone was due to development of an android emulator (Bluestack) that will allow android apps on windows devices. As the Titan is on OS 7(.5 i think), does anyone know if bluestack will work or is it being released with a later version of the OS

Bluestack is only for the desktop (and future tablet) releases from what I can tell. Wont be on the phone releases I think. Not for a while anyway.
    The phone OS is a lot more rigid in what the SDK allows you do do and the app requirements. Emulators in general for phone apps run horribly too since the emulated apps wouldnt have access to the permissions theyd use on a regular phone. The BB Playbooks Android app emulator is a good example of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I have a WP7 phone and i prefer it to Android. Much less worrying about the phone itself and more time using it.

My friends with android are always worried about whether programs in the background will slow it down or wear down the battery. They are always turning off GPS, 3G, data, bluetooth, wifi, etc. to save battery life.

I never worry about these things, never worried about them on iPhone either.

I tried android and never warmed to it. It's a personal preference though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

I would highly recommend WP7, The people approach of having all your contacts in one Live title is so much better than constantly opening and closing between apps.

simi956 wrote: »
    I would highly recommend WP7, The people approach of having all your contacts in one Live title is so much better than constantly opening and closing between apps.

Was it changed in mango that you could filter that? I thought it was a nice idea but found it comepletely unmanageable since it took in so many contacts with my facebook. And the lack of a smart dialer drove me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

In Mango, they introduced Groups to only see the people who are important to you, Pin to start screen to tie into the people theme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Was it changed in mango that you could filter that? I thought it was a nice idea but found it comepletely unmanageable since it took in so many contacts with my facebook. And the lack of a smart dialer drove me nuts

You can set the people hub to only display your contacts so it doesn't get full of facebook "friends", this option has been there from the start. If you allow all feeds on your facebook they will appear on your Windows Phone. If you bloke feeds on your facebook they will be blocked on your phone too.

The group hub is very handy, setup a "The Lads" group and you'll only see feeds, updates and pictures from the lads etc... :pac: The in built facebook chat integration is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I switched from Desire HD to the Titan.

Love the simplicity of the Titan. Super smooth and never lags.

The only con to WP7 is that the app store SUCKS!! You wouoldl think that the power of MS would be enough to kick developers into action.. I guess not.

Overall, I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

50k apps not enough for ya ? The only thing missing for me is a paddy power app

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Agreed, there are 50k apps but 99% are total garbage.

Having moved from Android, I miss the:

RTE App
    Newstalk App
    Irish Times App
    Linked In
    Decent Youtube App

Decent games are so few and far between.

The only con to WP7 is that the app store SUCKS!! You wouoldl think that the power of MS would be enough to kick developers into action.. I guess not.

Overall, I love it!

At the moment its only about 50,000 apps but it has only taken 13 months to get there. To that in context with that of other app stores, it took the Android Market 19 months to gain 50,000 apps, and it took Apple's App Store 12 months. So it's increasing at a good rate.. :)

Having moved from Android, I miss the:

RTE App
    Newstalk App
    Irish Times App
    Linked In
    Decent Youtube App

I'm expecting to see a dramatic increase in the number of apps once Windows 8 gets released. It will have a BIG knock on effect for Windows Phone 8 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Linked in is directly integrated into the operating system. There was a decent youtube app on the marketplace (Metro tube) which was on par with the android YT app however for some reason it got removed from the marketplace :mad:. The HTML 5 mobile site isn't that bad IMO.

You can listen to newstalk using the phones built in FM radio OR alternatively, you can use tuned in radio (live steam)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Having moved from Android, I miss these

Decent Youtube App

SuperTube is the best YouTube app out period :) you should try that. I don't know why Ms is being gay about a YouTube app, though the mobile version is quite good.

I'm back on android coming from wp7. I really can't wait for lumia to come out. Wp7 was so much more smoother, streamlined and reliable than android. Music player sucks too, compared to zune

Advertisement