Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service Providers Not Issuing Receipts

Options
  • 19-01-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

When I pay for my groceries in a grocery store, I receive an itemised receipt.

When I pay for drinks in a pub, I receive an itemised receipt.

When I pay for food in a restaurant, I receive an itemised receipt.

When I'm billed for electricity from my utility company, I receive an itemised bill.

Yet, when I pay for my calls and texts on Vodafone's Pay-as-you-go,
    I receive no such itemisation of my costs on their website!
    If O2 prepay can give such a receipt (up to the minute almost online call/text history),
    why is it legal for Vodafone to refuse to give receipts?

Before escalating this issue further against Vodafone "refusal to issue an itemised receipt in return for payment of a service",
    are there other mobiles companies that also refuse to give a receipt(up to the minute almost online call/text history)?

Are Vodafone(Eircell - former public servants) using the fact
    that I have pre-paid for a service,
    and therefore my receipt at the time of purchase is the text telling me my credit has been applied - that this is the service i paid for.
    that is, the fact that I make calls or send texts after that point is mute - I am not being billed for these services at the time..:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think the title of your thread is a little disingenuous. It is not a question of "Service Providers Not Issuing Receipts", but "Service Providers Not Issuing Itemized Receipts" and there is a difference there. Additionally, you cited a number of examples that were all post-pay. Have you examples of itemized receipts for any other pre-pay products or services?

In this regard, there are plenty of other areas where itemized receipts are not supplied, although I would agree that ideally pre-pay customers should at the very least be able to review and keep a copy of their itemized usage and associated costs. It is arguable that they have a legal obligation to supply anything other than an aggregate receipt - but this is a legal question, rather than one for here.

If I remember correctly T-Mobile in Germany does this, but I'm not certain on Irish opco's. My guess is that it is more than likely that at least one does at least allow users to view their usage and associated costs and if not it really would come down to demand (and implementation). After all, in a market so dependent upon churn, such a demand would not go ignored if it existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I think the title of your thread is a little disingenuous. It is not a question of "Service Providers Not Issuing Receipts", but "Service Providers Not Issuing Itemized Receipts" and there is a difference there.
    Not many other providers that i know of issue a receipt without telling me my usage! a receipt is not much of a receipt unless it breaks down your costs - FFS some retailers even tell you what rate of Vat you paid on the various items. But glad you think thats it ok to accept a coompany telling you - you owe X amount, and dont ask why or how. thank god you don't work for my credit card company!:D
    Additionally, you cited a number of examples that were all post-pay. Have you examples of itemized receipts for any other pre-pay products or services?
    Well eflow/easypass is one of them. they take an initial amount from my credit card, then every time i use a toll bridge, its taken from my account. At the end of the month, they issue me with an itemised bill.
    The new leapcard is another example, i put a lump sum on that card, and i can track my transactions.
    My bank account is another example, my wages are deposited in the bank, and i can track my withdrawals online.
    If I remember correctly T-Mobile in Germany does this, but I'm not certain on Irish opco's.
    As i said in my original post, BOTH O2 and Meteor do it.
    My guess is that it is more than likely that at least one does at least allow users to view their usage and associated costs
    you see this is where we really disagree, it my opinion, they are theiving c*nts and this is the best way to hide their dishonesty. would love to know which providers Ivor Callely had his mobile phones with, and how he managed to track his calls.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

When I pay for my groceries in a grocery store, I receive an itemised receipt.

When I pay for drinks in a pub, I receive an itemised receipt.

When I pay for food in a restaurant, I receive an itemised receipt.

When I'm billed for electricity from my utility company, I receive an itemised bill.

Yet, when I pay for my calls and texts on Vodafone's Pay-as-you-go,
    I receive no such itemisation of my costs on their website!
    If O2 prepay can give such a receipt (up to the minute almost online call/text history),
    why is it legal for Vodafone to refuse to give receipts?

Before escalating this issue further against Vodafone "refusal to issue an itemised receipt in return for payment of a service",
    are there other mobiles companies that also refuse to give a receipt(up to the minute almost online call/text history)?

Are Vodafone(Eircell - former public servants) using the fact
    that I have pre-paid for a service,
    and therefore my receipt at the time of purchase is the text telling me my credit has been applied - that this is the service i paid for.
    that is, the fact that I make calls or send texts after that point is mute - I am not being billed for these services at the time..:confused:

Great post.

3 also do not offer itemised bills to prepay customers.

The question really should be ... is there a legal, moral or regulatory requirement to do so? I am not aware of any legal or regulatory requirement. Certainly, one would say that the right thing to do is to provide online itemised bills to all your customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Not many other providers that i know of issue a receipt without telling me my usage! a receipt is not much of a receipt unless it breaks down your costs - FFS some retailers even tell you what rate of Vat you paid on the various items. But glad you think thats it ok to accept a coompany telling you - you owe X amount, and dont ask why or how. thank god you don't work for my credit card company!:D
    Easy tiger...
    Well eflow/easypass is one of them. they take an initial amount from my credit card, then every time i use a toll bridge, its taken from my account. At the end of the month, they issue me with an itemised bill.
    The new leapcard is another example, i put a lump sum on that card, and i can track my transactions.
    My bank account is another example, my wages are deposited in the bank, and i can track my withdrawals online.
    Fair enough on the first two examples. I don't think the third one relevant as it's not really a fair comparison.
    As i said in my original post, BOTH O2 and Meteor do it.
    Then move to them.
    you see this is where we really disagree, it my opinion, they are theiving c*nts and this is the best way to hide their dishonesty. would love to know which providers Ivor Callely had his mobile phones with, and how he managed to track his calls.....:D
    OK, we're through the looking glass now and I'll have to put my mod hat on:

That you're unhappy with an opco's lack of services is fair enough. My advice is move to one where you're happier and enough people do that they'll eventually take notice and/or raise the issue with the regulator. However, to then ascribe conspiratorial motivations and foul play is entering into not only libel but tin-foil hat territory and this is not tolerated here.
    Fungus wrote: »
    The question really should be ... is there a legal, moral or regulatory requirement to do so? I am not aware of any legal or regulatory requirement. Certainly, one would say that the right thing to do is to provide online itemised bills to all your customers.
    I don't believe that there is a legal obligation on them to do so. Perhaps lobbying the regulator to impose this may be a constructive step to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

On Tesco mobile you can log on to support and print off every call you made and the cost.

Vodafone do have this but only do it if the police ask for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement