Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in Human Resources? (PERTH)

Options
  • 19-01-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was originally meant to travel the east coast, however due to lack of funds, I have now decided to fly direct to Perth and do the travelling at a later stage...

Anyhow, I should arrive in Perth around Paddy's day, so I will be looking for work in around the end of March. Leaving a perm job, loads think I am mad, but nothing ventured nothing gained and I know Id regret if I didnt go. I am also going on my own....but I do have family over there, so that is good, will be staying with them until I get a room in a houseshare.

I am currently working for a global IT company, unfortuantely no offices in Oz tho, but I work in Human Resources and nearly have 2 years experience - I have a degree in business and also a professional CIPD (the Irish and UK recognised HR Professional body) qualification from here. I know this will probably mean nothing over there, but I was just wondering if anyone currently over thre works in this area or does anyone know how difficult it would be to get work in this area? I know the lack of having Oz legislative knowledge is probably a deterrant to my employability.

I should add I am going on the WHV - I will be trying my damdest to get sponsored (like everyone else, I know I can dream!!) If not its the regional work route, but going to focus on trying to get the former first!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

I dont work in HR but a friend of mine also on a WHV couldnt get a job in HR and I think he had a few years exp in England. He said most of them just dont want to hire someone on a WHV because they dont want to take ages to train you in for you to just leave after 6 months. I know you have intensions of staying longer but a lot of companies just arent willing to take the risk. Sorry to be a dampner! There is office temp work available though

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bobbles87

I dont work in HR but a friend of mine also on a WHV couldnt get a job in HR and I think he had a few years exp in England. He said most of them just dont want to hire someone on a WHV because they dont want to take ages to train you in for you to just leave after 6 months. I know you have intensions of staying longer but a lot of companies just arent willing to take the risk. Sorry to be a dampner! There is office temp work available though

thanks for the reply greenprincess. Well plan b will be regional work. ill defo try to get the maximum time i can out there, at least this info has brought me slap bang back to reality, i needed that!! i was thinking its going next to impossible to get work in this area, gonna give it a lash anyway......may be i am mad leaving my job afterall, but screw it only young once!!probably wont be saying that when my hands are falling off from picking fruit :D!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭betting fool

I might be corrected here but if you do your 88 days and get your 2nd visa you can then work for an employer for 12 months, ie 6 months on each visa.

Almost 100% I read that on a link posted on boards to the immigration website..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I might be corrected here but if you do your 88 days and get your 2nd visa you can then work for an employer for 12 months, ie 6 months on each visa.

correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

You would need to plan this carefully. You would need to start the job with exactly 6 months left on your first year visa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement