Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can we sell games/consoles?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 11:07am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I've tried to sell on consoles/games through the boards here before and had posts edited, I'm just curious why we can't have a thread for selling stuff we are no longer using. Adverts is ok, but theres a lot of messing on there sometimes and I occasionally feel that the ads arent getting as much exposure as posting about it on this subforum would. Trading in is fine too, but you get less for it, and they don't often take into account things, for example, whether a 3DS is ambassador certified or not.

I assume its something to do with the rules of the boards, but I was just curious as to which ones and if they could be relaxed in this case... I'm sure some people out there have some gems they'd like to get rid of ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Andy!! wrote: »
    I've tried to sell on consoles/games through the boards here before and had posts edited, I'm just curious why we can't have a thread for selling stuff we are no longer using. Adverts is ok, but theres a lot of messing on there sometimes and I occasionally feel that the ads arent getting as much exposure as posting about it on this subforum would. Trading in is fine too, but you get less for it, and they don't often take into account things, for example, whether a 3DS is ambassador certified or not.

I assume its something to do with the rules of the boards, but I was just curious as to which ones and if they could be relaxed in this case... I'm sure some people out there have some gems they'd like to get rid of ;)

Post it on adverts and put a link to it in your boards signature, you'll get more views that way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Post in adverts.ie. These forums here are solely for the discussion of games and it would kill discussion here if they became filled with buying and selling adverts. The rules will not be relaxed on this issue.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Surely if there were a thread specifically for it though? Theres a thread in the comics section for selling comics...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No, adverts is more than enough for people. This forum is for game discussion only. If you can't sell stuff on adverts it's not because not enough people see it, it's because your price is too high and/or you've got game nobody wants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 cutefainne

Done Deal would be good. My sis sold her DS there.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No, adverts is more than enough for people.

Seems like something a single person shouldn't decide if you ask me... why can the comics subforum have something the games subforum can't? Theres like two half life 3 threads, and the game doesn't even officially exist...

cutefainne wrote: »
    Done Deal would be good. My sis sold her DS there.

Costs money to make a post, would prefer to avoid that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

why can the comics subforum have something the games subforum can't?

Look at the traffic in the comics forum.

Now look at the traffic in the games forum.

If you put a thread like this in the games forum it wouldn't work. The traffic is too great and it would be a mess.

Adverts.ie is perfect for your needs. It's not some random website - it's boards.ie's sister adverts site. Most people who use boards.ie look at adverts too. What you want to do is the reason for adverts.ie existing.

Seems like something a single person shouldn't decide if you ask me... why can the comics subforum have something the games subforum can't? Theres like two half life 3 threads, and the game doesn't even officially exist...

This was decided here long before I became a mod here and as a regular it's very easy to see why this isn't implimented. This forum is very busy and we get enough traffic that if we allowed adverts it would swamp the forum, bumping discussion threads off the front page and ultimately end up killing the forum. It's the reason adverts.ie was created in the first place. Anyway allowing adverts for such a big section of adverts.ie would end up getting me in trouble with the admins who run both sites. However that isn't even close to the main reason, it's that it will kill this forum if we allow it and therefore it won't be implimented ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This was decided here long before I became a mod here and as a regular it's very easy to see why this isn't implimented. This forum is very busy and we get enough traffic that if we allowed adverts it would swamp the forum, bumping discussion threads off the front page and ultimately end up killing the forum. It's the reason adverts.ie was created in the first place. Anyway allowing adverts for such a big section of adverts.ie would end up getting me in trouble with the admins who run both sites. However that isn't even close to the main reason, it's that it will kill this forum if we allow it and therefore it won't be implimented ever.

what about a thread for links to stuff you sell?

on "building pc" we got a thread where we can link to our adds. works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've sold tons of games and consoles via adverts (check my profile to see). Theres plenty of traffic/buyers on there.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you put a thread like this in the games forum it wouldn't work. The traffic is too great and it would be a mess.

I'm talking about one thread though (like the one in comics) not a new thread for every title people want to sell :pac:

Kind of like the Gaming Bargains thread.

I do also sell some stuff on adverts, but I find some things dont shift fast enough for my liking. Trying to get rid of a slim PS3 right now, has an eagle eye converter for FPS gaming and everything, great games, Blu Rays, but I've had no interest! :pac: Seems like something like that might go faster if it was posted in a thread on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

o1s1n wrote: »

I'm talking about one thread though (like the one in comics) not a new thread for every title people want to sell :pac:

Kind of like the Gaming Bargains thread.

I do also sell some stuff on adverts, but I find some things dont shift fast enough for my liking. Trying to get rid of a slim PS3 right now, has an eagle eye converter for FPS gaming and everything, great games, Blu Rays, but I've had no interest! :pac: Seems like something like that might go faster if it was posted in a thread on here.

No means no :p, try DoneDeal, adverts or gumtree there are hundreds of free classifieds sites out there, share your ads via Facebook/twitter for even more exposure.

justryan wrote: »
    No means no :p

Who are you again?

Seems like a no-brainer idea to me, one thread couldn't possibly hurt; even go on a trial period, other subforums have them, sure if I checked cars subforums etc I would find the same, don't understand the opposition to this idea at all really.

Who are you again?

Seems like a no-brainer idea to me, one thread couldn't possibly hurt; even go on a trial period, other subforums have them, sure if I checked cars subforums etc I would find the same, don't understand the opposition to this idea at all really.

put a link in your profile and stop whinging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Who are you again?

put a link in your profile and stop whinging

Yeah stop whining and have a cup of STFU, you were told by two moderators that it ain't happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

6a00d83452719d69e20120a5d14a16970c-800wi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

have you tried lowering the prices on your stuff?
    Buyandsell still do free ads afaik too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

As above, if you're not shifting stuff, its too highly priced. If you want stuff to shift fast you need to price accordingly, if you a decent price, you need to accept that you will be waiting.

While you may feel like you're offering a bargain, there could be plenty out there beating your price.

To be fair, you're far more likely to get exposure to your ad if you put it in your sig on every post than if you put it once in a thread on what you want to sell. Its in YOUR interests to do it that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Adverts and Ebay have people paid to monitor and protect sellers & buyers. There's an awful lot of assholes out there more than willing to screw you over, and dedicated people are required to resolve this issues that can and will arise on a daily basis.

Selling on a public forum with no protection is a recipe for disaster, and an unfair burden on both the users and mods.

The purpose of this forum is to discuss games, not to help people make a bit of money. Adverts.ie was set up to facilitate people who wanted to buy and sell on the forum, use it. As was mentioned if you aren't shifting what you are selling then lower the price. There's too many people on adverts with an inflated sense of the worth of what they own.

We have three stickies already on the frontpage which the admins have told us is the maximum allowed, I'm not making another one and I'm not going to make a thread that will disappear in a matter of days because some one can't sell something.

There's plenty of other places to sell your goods and you are free to advertise in your sig. The charter stipulates that there is no buying and selling on this forum. I've enough trouble with spammers on the forums I moderate and I don't need more trouble from them either arguing that it's unfair that they can't advertise when others can.

• Advertisement

Adverts and Ebay have people paid to monitor and protect sellers & buyers. There's an awful lot of assholes out there more than willing to screw you over, and dedicated people are required to resolve this issues that can and will arise on a daily basis.

Selling on a public forum with no protection is a recipe for disaster, and an unfair burden on both the users and mods.

Your quite right and I bet the OP never considered that, no one wants to be stung with a broken game/console and have zero comeback.

sin0city wrote: »
    6a00d83452719d69e20120a5d14a16970c-800wi

becky.jpg
    Crosáidí wrote: »
    Your quite right and I bet the OP never considered that, no one wants to be stung with a broken game/console and have zero comeback.

I guess. That's cause my stuff is all in great condition ;)

Just thought it would be a nice feature to have on this subforum, if the mods are that keen on avoiding a bit of work (dunno why theyd even need to be involved at all tbh) theres very little can be done I suppose. Ima put links in my sig then... its just annoying that I cant link to the page with all my ads, have to do it ad by ad...

Whats really frustrating is I have a modded wii cause being a game dev I like to swap out skins and such on wii models... but no... you can't sell modded consoles on Adverts. They let you sell the SERVICE of modding OTHER PEOPLES machines, and they also allow the sale of jailbroken ipads... such hypocracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

files_troll_2.jpg

Yes, you don't agree with me so I'm a troll. HOW ON EARTH did you become a moderator on boards.

Also just noticed what section you are a mod of. LOL!!! Wanna buy a modded Wii? I have NEVER seen that subsection... wow... how is that even allowed on here. Such hypocracy.

Yes, you don't agree with me so I'm a troll. HOW ON EARTH did you become a moderator on boards.

b145550923.jpg

Another one from the console modding for the purpose of piracy boards... that has a thread for SELLING STUFF THAT COULD EASILY BE BROKEN IN SOME WAY.

But by all means, continue with the troll pictures :)

My favourite.

v4vcG.gif

Another one from the console modding for the purpose of piracy boards... that has a thread for SELLING STUFF THAT COULD EASILY BE BROKEN IN SOME WAY.

But by all means, continue with the troll pictures :)

My favourite.

v4vcG.gif

For the purposes of piracy? Ads are at my discretion, I dont condone piracy so until you learn some manners/courtesy I'm not happy letting you use the facilities :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    until you learn some manners/courtesy

Was I the one that started posting offensive troll pictures was I? Absolute hypocrites the lot of you.

And you're fooling no one with 'not for piracy BS'... only reason that subforum exists is for piracy ;)

And I thought only 3 stickies were allowed? That subforum has 7 or 8!!!

Was I the one that started posting offensive troll pictures was I? Absolute hypocrites the lot of you.

You were told by two mods, drop it. Anything more is asking for trouble

• Advertisement

And you're fooling no one with 'not for piracy BS'... only reason that subforum exists is for piracy ;)

And I thought only 3 stickies were allowed? That subforum has 7 or 8!!!

I shouldn't be feeding the troll, but the forum has nothing to do with piracy & it's not tolerated. Only closed minded people think a modified console automatically means piracy. Have a look at the links on my sig if your up for an education.

If the amount of stickies bothers you, god help you. Life can be so trying at times.

Peace out :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement