Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of trying a Slant or Open Comb

• 19-01-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭

So I'm itching to buy another razor, I currently own a few closed comb ones and I am toying with the idea of buying an open comb or a slant bar...for no real reason other than sheer curiosity.

Firstly, can anyone tell me the difference between slants and open comb (OK I know in terms of appearance!), which one is best for someone like me being a newbie in this category of razor etc?

I would have a thick enough beard which I believe is where slants come into their own but I am also known to get the odd nick even using a closed comb DE so even after DE shaving for 12 months my technique probably isn't 100%.

Am I being mad to even consider the above if technique on a closed comb DE isn't top notch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I like the feel of open comb so I know where the blade is at, however I do find I nick myself a lot more with a DE than a straight - probably because I use a straight more and revert to DE if I'm in a hurry :)

Have you considered just making the jump to straight razor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd a reply typed up earlier that got lost due to my login timing out :mad:
    So take two.

I have two types of DE razors, those I rotate when shaving daily and
    those I use when I've more than 24 hours of stubble to shave. In the 24
    hours+ category I have open combs, slants and a Merkur Futur.

I'll use a standard safety bar DE 95% of the time but I find using an open comb
    really effective in removing longer stubble. I have coarse, dark and curly facial hair and an open comb easily glides through. I can get similar results with a
    slant or the Futur but compared to a slant I find an open comb causes me less
    irritation and is more 'comfortable'.

The theory is that an open comb leaves more lather on the face compared to
    a DE where the safety bar scrapes off more of the lather before the blade hits the skin.

After a year using DEs I can't see why you shouldn't try an open comb.
    Compared to the technique with a closed comb just watch your prep and pay
    particular attention with the against the grain pass, especially along the jaw line
    and lip area. A Gillette New open comb, feather blade and MWF is one of my
    favourite shaves. Avoid the more aggressive modern open comb from Muhle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MadsL wrote: »
    I like the feel of open comb so I know where the blade is at, however I do find I nick myself a lot more with a DE than a straight - probably because I use a straight more and revert to DE if I'm in a hurry :)

Have you considered just making the jump to straight razor?

you know, I think I might be too chicken for straight razor, I'm a leftie and as it is I think I'm fairly clumsy so imagine the fear with a straight:eek:
    Who knows, maybe one day. I'd like to think I'll give it a try some time...but not just now:)

After a year using DEs I can't see why you shouldn't try an open comb.
    Compared to the technique with a closed comb just watch your prep and pay
    particular attention with the against the grain pass, especially along the jaw line
    and lip area. A Gillette New open comb, feather blade and MWF is one of my
    favourite shaves. Avoid the more aggressive modern open comb from Muhle.

I was thinking of trying this Merkur 15c. It's a decent price so so not a major loss if it doesn't work out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giant Kiwi

you know, I think I might be too chicken for straight razor, I'm a leftie and as it is I think I'm fairly clumsy so imagine the fear with a straight:eek:
    Who knows, maybe one day. I'd like to think I'll give it a try some time...but not just now:)

That's just your nerves talking ;)

I'm a leftie, and this hasn't stopped me. If anything you get to see the show side of a razor as it passes your face more often.
    I vowed to myself this year I will use nothing but straights and so far haven't cut or razor burned myself and have also managed to train my right hand to do different spot on my face and neck.
    Try it the worst thing that'll happen is you don't like it and pass the razor on to someone else.

• Advertisement

Giant Kiwi wrote: »
    That's just your nerves talking ;)

I'm a leftie, and this hasn't stopped me. If anything you get to see the show side of a razor as it passes your face more often.
    I vowed to myself this year I will use nothing but straights and so far haven't cut or razor burned myself and have also managed to train my right hand to do different spot on my face and neck.
    Try it the worst thing that'll happen is you don't like it and pass the razor on to someone else.

hmm, now you have me thinkin' :D

Do you use a proper straight or shavettes?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giant Kiwi

I toyed with a Dovo shavette for a wee while then jumped into Straights just before christmas.

http://www.whippeddog.com/straightrazors/view/sight-unseen-deal

I got mine through Larry and paid USD$51 but taxes went up in the U.S so now it's USD$57 with postage.
    The razor is ready to rock and he supplies everything for a newbie straight user including any questions you might have after. It took about a week to arrive from texas.
    He gets nothing but praise on badgerandblade.com

I hope this doesn't screw up your thought process too much.

Leigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Takes about a 100 shaves to get fluent...a few nicks, less than a DE I find and cut myself properly once I think (jabbed into my cheek)

You can do yourself damage with a straight...but you will feel if your angle is wrong before you put any pressure behind it.

Go for it..the worst that will probably happen is a bad razor burn (done that alright)

Can arrange a loaner if you really want to dip your toes (nose)

thanks MadsL, I'm still a bit freaked out by it all. I see a few shavettes on shaving.ie for about €25 so I may go down that avenue initially...but I'm not going to do it straight away...call me chicken!
    However curiosity will get the better of me some day:)

Advertisement