Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC, No Display

Options
  • 19-01-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Right i just build my frist PC and as expected it didnt boot.

So what have i not done?

The board Has power as the LED is ON

The graphics card fan rotates when the power is turned on but no Display on my TV?

Has it got somthing to do with the fact i havent installed the graphics card and if so how do install a GC with no display

The fan For the CPU doesnt turn

Tryed clearing the CMOS

At the moment its supplyed with power but not turned on as i think the CMOS battery might need to be charged to reset the CMOS,

Any tips would be helpfull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

You have both the 8 and 24 pin power cables plugged in?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dirtymurder

dwighet wrote: »
    You have both the 8 and 24 pin power cables plugged in?

Ya. I bought a new CPU cooler and the fan is turning on it now.

what gfx card are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does it not give a few error beeps? Maybe check the CPU is seated correctly.

what gfx card are you using?

Asus GTX550 Ti and i have the 6 pin power into that.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Does it not give a few error beeps? Maybe check the CPU is seated correctly.

Nope no beeps.

Starting to think the CPU is shot

Asus GTX550 Ti and i have the 6 pin power into that.

Ok this is only a guess now..You said that you have the pc hooked up to your TV...not a monitor am i right?

Im thinking that your card isnt recognising your tv...

Have you tried a monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

what type of board are you using? Does it have any led codes? i.e either a display on the board with codes or different lights on the board indicating different types of errors. Wouldn't write off the CPU just yet.

As another user suggested is the CPU seated correctly? Also is the ram seated correctly and in the correct configuration? single/dual channel?

Either of these incorrectly seated could result in your board not posting. If both seem ok best thing to do is troubleshoot from the ground up. i.e. unplug expansion cards, hhd's, all fans exception CPU, leave just one stick of ram and power switch and see if you can now post

Ok this is only a guess now..You said that you have the pc hooked up to your TV...not a monitor am i right?

Im thinking that your card isnt recognising your tv...

Have you tried a monitor?

Its got a VGA port

DamoKen wrote: »
    what type of board are you using? Does it have any led codes? i.e either a display on the board with codes or different lights on the board indicating different types of errors. Wouldn't write off the CPU just yet.

As another user suggested is the CPU seated correctly? Also is the ram seated correctly and in the correct configuration? single/dual channel?

Either of these incorrectly seated could result in your board not posting. If both seem ok best thing to do is troubleshoot from the ground up. i.e. unplug expansion cards, hhd's, all fans exception CPU, leave just one stick of ram and power switch and see if you can now post

Its a ASUS P5QC

Its ment to beep when theres a error

there is a led but just to indecate power

removed and reset CPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Its got a VGA port

Do you have a cable running from your integrated graphics to your tv or is it running from the graphics card to your tv?

Do you have a cable running from your integrated graphics to your tv or is it running from the graphics card to your tv?

theres no intergrated graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

theres no intergrated graphics

Have you ruled out a faulty cable? Ensure that the GFX card is correctly seated in the PCI-e slot. Also have you trying booting with just 1 stick of ram?

Have you ruled out a faulty cable? Ensure that the GFX card is correctly seated in the PCI-e slot. Also have you trying booting with just 1 stick of ram?

Ya tryed all that and sent it into a computer repair company for analysis that cost 45 only for them to turn around and tell me they want 80 more to do more tests.

I siad no

Now im short a computer and 45 euro.

Boo hoo:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Have you tried reseating the RAM and graphics card? Or using a single RAM stick if you're using two?

maybe give out a cry here and one of the Tech heads will take a look if you live nearby..

maybe give out a cry here and one of the Tech heads will take a look if you live nearby..

Im crying in real life

You ever see that movie The money Pit thats sorta this PC

Just got the computer back from the repair place, they were acting dodgy.

So the Motherboard was bought off ebay saying it was new but not in its packaging, i checked the seller lastnight only to find out the last people hes sold to never got there iteams, one guy gave him 2 grand his comment said he got it back.

http://feedback.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=the.name.of.the.technology&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

The CPU was second hand and the last guy i got it off siad he put it into the wrong motherboard ???? Did he fry it???

Now the computer repair place said theyd find the problem for 45 euro and could decide what action to take after they got back to me,

They got back to me and said they wanted 80 euro to do more tests to find the problem. To me that just ment they hadn't a clue and wanted money to send the board to a 3rd party. So i said no and id pick it up

When i showed up! they said 30 euro to get me into the BIOS

I said no and pushed them for what was working and what wasnt

They said the RAM.... New ram is around 30 euro.

Now im skint, computer less and no idea whats wrong with my computer.

Gona buy some cheap DDR2 ram if i can to test the problem

unless anyone has any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Hi, not about the computer but the shop.

If I were you id get my money back for providing you with no information on the problem. That's what the €45 was for. Asking for more money to do the job they were mention to do in the first place just shows they are unprofessional.

Hi, not about the computer but the shop.

If I were you id get my money back for providing you with no information on the problem. That's what the €45 was for. Asking for more money to do the job they were mention to do in the first place just shows they are unprofessional.

Ya at frist i was going to ask for my money back if they didnt tell me anything, but they said the ram was the problem.

I asked them to email me the report.

If the ram checks out ill defo be looking for my money back

Yay:D Got new ram DDR2 and shes a runner. That computer repair place i went to (computers unlimited) siad to me they would get me into the BIOS for 30 euro when i went to pick it up, after quoting me 80 euro on the phone, so either there incompetent or dishonest operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What?! They were actually going to try to charge you €80 for hitting the Delete key?

Maplin, watch out! We've got a new Over-charging-for-BS top dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 snip123456789

Its got a VGA port

tv wont be recognised try a monitor

Advertisement