Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stockie Fishing - Sweet Corn anyone :-(

Options
  • 19-01-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Folks,

I was fly fishing a stockie lake last weekend and jeez it was hard fishing.. on a normal visit I would easily manage 10++ fish to the next and maybe double that in hits/misses...

But after several hours fishing, I connected with two fish which I netted and killed.. These fish were caught at a depth of about 18ft, right on the bottom, with a Di5..

I don't normally kill fish but the fishing was so so bad I had to do some investigation as to what the trout were taken.

I a little shocked to see that the two fish were FULL and I mean FULL with sweet corn....

Which might explain how poor the fly fishing was....

This kinda stuff really sickens me, as you pay your money and the quality of fishing was ****e...

I left feedback on their website..one thing I know for sure is that I will be skipping this fishery until late summer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Hmm..... my feedback was not appreciated and was removed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 carlspackler

The odd thing about feeding them sweetcorn is that it doesn't seem to be particularly effective at increasing their size.

I don't think their digestive systems are designed to digest 'sweetcorn!!! and it could stick in there for ages.

It provides no nutritional value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I don't think their digestive systems are designed to digest 'sweetcorn!!! and it could stick in there for ages.

It provides no nutritional value

Like ourselves so. I've an old fishing book that says if fishing for mullet around a sewerage outflow pipe that sweetcorn would prove very effective as humans can't digest it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Hmm..... my feedback was not appreciated and was removed!!

I've seen lads fishing with a "sweetcorn fly" in winter before at stocked lake a few years ago. I assumed it was other "anglers" deadbaiting and not the owners?

Basically a bit of yellow plastic shaped like a sweetcorn kernal - it worked.

I snipped the wings off a yellow may dry and fished it with a small piece of shout and caught a few myself!! Just happend to have my river flies in the bag!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Do you think we are talking about:
    A The fishery owner providing supplemental feed during winter months to reduce mortality?
    or
    B Bait anglers groundbaiting?

If it is A, I sympathise, they have a livestock investment to protect, and it's starving for 6 months of the year. But that's a really tough problem to overcome if you're fishing. A warning or "heads up" from the owner might have been in order while you were preparing to fish.

If it is B, was it a fly only water?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

i was just wondering was this in garryhill? what kind of flies were you using. were they traditional or were you using lures or blobs. i was planning on going to garryhill tomorrow and any advice would be great. sweetcorn is the last resort much more fun on the fly.

apperently rainbows cant digest sweetcorn. if you look at their anal fin you can see that it can be very red in this area if they are eating it.

Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

it was tuff fishing as it was very windy and they didnt want to look at a fly. caught a couple on sweetcorn when i eventually gave up flyfishing. it can be very good at times. he also has salmon in one of the lakes but you cant fish for them till next month.

Yeah I know about the salmon..

So on a lake full of fish you caught nothing while fly fishing, I rest my case :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement