Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Server Logins

Options
  • 19-01-2012 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,

I have a linux server with some software on it that I haven't used in a few years. I cannot reinstall as I don't have the correct disks anymore for the software. When I boot up the server just before I get to the user interface it says the refresh rate is messed up so I cannot get in. From here I press f2 and I get a login screen but I cannot remember my password... I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to bypass the linux login or how I can sort out the resfresh rate problem. I have checked online and found a software called Kon-boot but I can't afford to trust it just in case as its freeware and doesn't sound to legit. Usually I would try it but I just can't on the off chance it screws me..... :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

kon-boot works fine.
    Another option is to boot from a live CD/USB, mount your real Linux install and edit the /etc/passwd file.

If you remove the "x" between the two ":" 's after your username it will let you logon without a password on next reboot.
    Hey,

I have a linux server with some software on it that I haven't used in a few years. I cannot reinstall as I don't have the correct disks anymore for the software. When I boot up the server just before I get to the user interface it says the refresh rate is messed up so I cannot get in. From here I press f2 and I get a login screen but I cannot remember my password... I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to bypass the linux login or how I can sort out the resfresh rate problem. I have checked online and found a software called Kon-boot but I can't afford to trust it just in case as its freeware and doesn't sound to legit. Usually I would try it but I just can't on the off chance it screws me..... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sup3rp00p3r

Thanks a million, I was able to change the login by logging on as a single user but now I am looking to change the display as anytime I get to the login screen the display goes black and I have to use ctrl, alt, f1. I was just wondering is there any commands that would enable me to change the settings so that I can log into the user interface rather then just the command line. I am using a linux redhat server system.

PS Sorry bout all this, am a huge linux newb kind of thrown in at the deep end here lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Which version of Redhat is this?
    "cat /etc/redhat-release" should tell the version.

I'll try to guess, that it's using xorg, rather than the old xfree...
    If it's a bit oldish version the command to use might be

system-config-display --noui --reconfig

Or for something newer...
    xrandr --help

Advertisement