Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon 2012

Options
  • 19-01-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi im doing the 1st Mararthon in June anyone here running it or want to do some running routes together be good to get used to the route as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What date in June is it? I'm just wondering would numbers be effected cause I think the Cork City marathon is around then and that is one of the bigger ones in the country. I'd love to do one but I suffer from the horrible condition called laziness........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 cutefainne

I always liked the idea of running a marathon. Never got into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 marathonmanpat

The date is Sat 30th June at 9am the cork marathon is the first weekend in June. I was going to do cork but as its waterfords 1st ill be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ah that's not so bad. Best of luck with it. I hope it gets a good showing cause the buzz around a city during a marathon can actually be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 marathonmanpat

Thanks i hope so to ive done New York, Chicago & London Marathons and is a major boost and this city is at the lowest ebb its ever been with loss of jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Problem is its a terrible route with very little of it in the city. For a first-timer I reckon it won't be much fun. You're probably going to hit 'the wall' on some lonely back road and there'll be nobody to urge you on. From what I've heard, large crowds cheering the runners on can very often be the difference between finishing and stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Thanks i hope so to ive done New York, Chicago & London Marathons and is a major boost and this city is at the lowest ebb its ever been with loss of jobs.

I think me brother was thinking boutgoing to boston was it one of the times to do it with a few more of the guards. he's after doing 4 or 5 full marathons and shed loads of half marathons. Me, I sit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

gscully wrote: »
    Problem is its a terrible route with very little of it in the city. For a first-timer I reckon it won't be much fun. You're probably going to hit 'the wall' on some lonely back road and there'll be nobody to urge you on. From what I've heard, large crowds cheering the runners on can very often be the difference between finishing and stopping.

3/4's of waterford city is hills, have ya ever tried cycling from town to hillview dont mind say run a marathon up patrick street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

O Riain wrote: »
    3/4's of waterford city is hills, have ya ever tried cycling from town to hillview dont mind say run a marathon up patrick street!
    Done that loads of times on a bike.

hillview to de la salle in the morning bout 5 minutes.
    de La Salle to hillview after school - bout 45 minutes haha. no wonder I barely went to school

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still debating doing this, have Connamara Marathon on the 1st of April, going to do Dublin again but nothing arranged inbetween yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gscully wrote: »

They certainly can help alright, but then you have parts of Cork that ain't exactly in crowded area's also.

Waterford may not be perhaps the best marathon for first timers I suppose

Does the WAC have any involvement in this event? I've seen no mention of it on their website, they've done an excellent job year on year with the half marathon so it would be a shame for them not to be involved in a marathon event.

Advertisement