Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diy board repair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Little ding on the nose of my board.

I've seen some vids of how to repair yourself and it seems do-able

Any advice on how to go about it?
    I was thinking about getting this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DING-ALL-EPOXY-Surfboard-Repair-Kit-Instructions-NEW-/220919293366?pt=UK_Surfing&hash=item336fd0e5b6]kit

Thanks!

i use the firbreglass version of those kits and find them good.
    i started doing my own repairs and have to say it's the biz, you'll learn along the way and mess a few things up but real surfers should be able to repair their own boards it's not that hard and is very rewarding. also makes you think more about dropping your repaired board! wear gloves btw the resin is so hard to get off hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Just wondering :-(
    How do i know if my board is epoxy or fibreglass?

Mine is a 7'6 circle one
    No other real markings on it...

The guy in tubes said the glass one would be shinier, but thats not helping much!
    Any tips?

http://www.circle-one.co.uk/products/2010/surfboards/jefftownsley/?PHPSESSID=58955d6a1f3bb22d17829b3e0b76ebe2

Its one of these, a Jeff Townsley
    One of the right hand two - but color is different!

http://www.circle-one.co.uk/

99% sure its epoxy!

All custom Circle One surfboards, along with our range of surf kiteboards, skimboards and stand-up paddleboards are hand shaped and laminated using epoxy honeycomb

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think most if not all circle one boards are epoxy. Epoxy basically looks like plastic where as fibreglass looks like, well, glass :D

My board is fibreglass, last time I did a repair i used solarez. Pretty much did it exactly the way he does it in this vid except i used cling film instead of acetate to cover it:

I think there's a solarez you can get especially for epoxy boards too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Just wondering :-(
    How do i know if my board is epoxy or fibreglass?

Mine is a 7'6 circle one
    No other real markings on it...

The guy in tubes said the glass one would be shinier, but thats not helping much!
    Any tips?

Epoxy {edit or polyyester edit} is used to coat a fibreglass mat in fibreglass boards. Hold your board up to a strong light. You should be able to see the 'shinier' woven glass mat. Moulded Epoxy boards like the circle ones have a more solid duller colour and are often painted. There usually heavier than handmade epoxy boards.

here is the best board repair vid i've seen http://www.korduroy.tv/2010/color-match-ding-repair-surf-sufficient

great website too.

As far as I know you can repair any board with a epoxy glass kit. I usually use glass on anything bigger than a pea sized ding for extra strength.

I wouldn't use suncure for a major job especially in ireland. I'd only ever used it once as a temporary quick fix. Been using west system glass kits lately. Very stong and sands flush but leaves a ugly orange repair mark from the resin. Next big job i gonna get some stuff of here http://www.seabase.eu/products/cat/Resins-and-Coatings/Epoxy-Resin/ Proper stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Good thread could be a stickie at the expence of guys who repair boards. korduroys a great site gives me too many diy inspirations though, might end up building your own roof rack with selotape and an old pallet because some kid in mexico made a video how to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think you are getting this mixed up a bit there are two main foams used on handmade surfboard, polyurethane or polystyrene both are glassed with fibreglass cloth and a resin normally polyester or epoxy depending on the foam used. If the form is polystyrene then you must use epoxy resin. If you used polyester resin on polystyrene it will dissolve the foam and turn it into a pile of sticky gue.

Mass produced boards, well they could use either or even something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I think you are getting this mixed up a bit there are two main foams used on handmade surfboard, polyurethane or polystyrene both are glassed with fibreglass cloth and a resin normally polyester or epoxy depending on the foam used. If the form is polystyrene then you must use epoxy resin. If you used polyester resin on polystyrene it will dissolve the foam and turn it into a pile of sticky gue.

Mass produced boards, well they could use either or even something different.

A bit ye:o. didnt realise the moulded epoxy boards use a glass mat thought it was just filler and epoxy. A fibreglass board is a bit of a dodgy term to use. Don't want to get into it too much as its all very confusing and probably needs a new thread altogether. edited the post above to be less confusing.

If your fixing a board just use epoxy resin. It will do the job on any board and wont dissolve any board into a pile of glue so don't worry. If your board is polyester coated you should use polyester resin(nasty stuff)(test a little drop first:D) as it gives a better bond.

AFAIK the only way to tell epoxy from polyester is that polyester is more brittle while epoxy is lighter and more flexible.

Advertisement