Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What alarm?? Help?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

We've renovated a house and the electrician has wired all the windows and doors for an alarm but we really have no idea what to put in, doesn't need to be all singing and dancing a basic alarm that covers 2 doors and 11 windows.

Any suggestions would be really helpful and if its not to much of a stretch a rough indication of price please.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Price wise about €600, you are better off getting a few installers to give you quotes for the alarm. The HKC Securewave 10/70 would be a good system I would recommend. It has 10 hard wire zones for the zones to install wired devices on the windows and doors that are covered. It also has the ability to take a whole suite of wire free devices down the road if there was ever a problem with cables.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Always compare is my advice. Get in at least 3 installers & make sure you get all quotes in writing.Insist on them calling out to do a survey. Never accept a quote over the phone. This prevents any extras later Also endure you get in writing whats covered & what the guarantees are.
    Also take a look at the Siemens 4000 range. See the attached data sheet.
    Price wise its around the same, but some extra & differend features are available.
    I know you say a basic system but its nice to future proof as well.
    So also get information included on maintenance cover ,costs etc.
    Some companys limit the number of calls covered here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thank you both i'll phone around tomorrow and arrange for some to give me quotes you've both given me things to think about and make sure i ask questions about.

piperh wrote: »
    Thank you both i'll phone around tomorrow and arrange for some to give me quotes you've both given me things to think about and make sure i ask questions about.

Your welcome, any other questions let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Another vote for the siemens but if you want basic then you should probably specify this when ringing around as the two panels mentioned here would not be classed as "basic"
    A basic system would cost a lot less than €600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

The first quote came in today at €1100 for a hkc sw1070 ( i wasn't given a choice of systems), this is for shock sensors or €995 for magnetic sensors. I was told that shock sensors are the way to go but the lane is a very busy one with milk trucks, tractors and all sorts passing all day so am not sure if this is the way to go. Its a wired system as all the windows and doors are wired ready for the alarm.

Do i have to have a motion sensor as we have dogs that roam the house and i'd be worried about setting them off?

This seems expensive so i hope the other 3 companies i have coming to quote are a bit cheaper.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

€1100 is way too dear for just 11 windows & 2 doos using wired sensors.
    Also not giving you a choice of systems is very unprofessional IMO.
    I would always want at least 1 PiR. You can get that pet tolerant it you want.

piperh wrote: »
    The first quote came in today at €1100 for a hkc sw1070 ( i wasn't given a choice of systems), this is for shock sensors or €995 for magnetic sensors. I was told that shock sensors are the way to go but the lane is a very busy one with milk trucks, tractors and all sorts passing all day so am not sure if this is the way to go. Its a wired system as all the windows and doors are wired ready for the alarm.

Do i have to have a motion sensor as we have dogs that roam the house and i'd be worried about setting them off?

This seems expensive so i hope the other 3 companies i have coming to quote are a bit cheaper.

Both quotes for shocks and the magnetic sensors only are way over the top.
    I would keep getting quotes.
    Shock sensors have gross and pulse setting that can be adjusted to suit your bust lane.
    A PIR is used as a back up. If you did decide to go for magnetic contacts only on the windows and an intruder was to take the pain of glass out of your window without opening the window then the alarm will not activate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jimmy Gogola

Hi,

Has anyone tried a wireless Wisdom system? Would you recommend it?

Hi,

Has anyone tried a wireless Wisdom system? Would you recommend it?

The agility would be the better than the wisdom. More expensive but uses two way compared to the older one way on its devices. As an alarm, it will comply to EN50131.

• Advertisement
Advertisement