Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future country legend Zoe Muth & The Lost High Rollers, Whelans Feb 4th

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Whelanslive.com presents

Zoe Muth & The Lost High Rollers
    Plus special guests

Saturday 4th February
    Whelan’s Of Wexford St
    Doors 8pm
    Tickets: €14 (inc booking fee) available to buy online from whelanslive.com or call the WAV Box Office [Lo-call 1890 200 078]. Also available from Tickets.ie

“We rarely talk about country music as being "soulful" or having "soul", but thank god Zoe Muth is here to change this…the gentle truth of her songwriting and the softness of her voice lend a weight to the music that gives Starlight Hotel, a true feeling of soulfulness… an astonishingly good songwriter.”
    - No Depression

I just can't stop playing this. - Bob Harris BBC Radio 2
    'Our own Emmylou' - Seattle Weekly

Whelans are delighted to announce the debut irish performance of Americas newest alt country / roots talent, Zoe Muth (pronounced Mewth). Despite having just a couple of albums to her name Zoe has created sound, space and mythology all of her own. Like Hank and Merle before her, she seems to provide a soundscape of a life lived in dive bars and flatlands yet delivers it in an angelic authenticity reminiscent of Emmylou or Iris Dement.

Like Gillian Welch and Townes Van Zandt (whom The Lost High Rollers are Named after) Zoe has an ingrained empathy with the downtrodden and marginalised in American society and her songs weave delicate melodies around age-old themes of browbeaten workers and lovelorn losers, “For me so much of the history of American music is based not just in the drive to make “art” or perfect it, but to escape what can often become the drudgery of the working class life and to escape poverty when most of the avenues offered by mainstream society just aren’t any fun”

"How does a kid growing up in Seattle’s legendary grunge scene end up making country music?"

“ I didn’t learn about the really old stuff until high school when my fascination with the labor movement and the histories that never got brought up in textbooks led me to seek out the roots of all that music. The field recordings of Alan Lomax and Harry Smith’s Anthology of American Folk Music had just been rereleased and I devoured it all. I have always been one who out of fear or a need for security, tried to keep a full time job and pay the bills, so I travelled in my mind down the roads of Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, and the Carter Family, weaving elements of history and traditional country and blues into my music and lyrics.”

Zoe and her Lost High Rollers arrive in Whelan’s on February 4th 2012 for what promises to be a sensational show.

Advertisement