Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Computing and Communications Museum

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭

I've got a mate visiting at the weekend and we were thinking of going along to this museum. I can't find anywhere that gives opening times for the museum however. Their facebook page has virtually no information apart from where it's located and some contact email addresses. I've mailed them this morning but have had no response so far.

Does anybody know if they open on a Saturday afternoon?

It looks like a great museum but I wish they were a bit more customer focused as it's hard to even establish that the place is up and running by the looks of the information they have out there.

Has anyone any idea of their opening hours or what the story is at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Never heard of it :-o
    Where is it supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Had to google it
    The National Computer and Communications Museum is in NUI Galway’s Digital Enterprise Research Institute. It will open to the public from November 14th.

Maybe there's more on NUIG or DERI site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I think the Museum was part of the Science Festival last November and not open on a permanent basis. DERI were running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah feck! I thought it looked like a premanent exhibit :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It was running during science week, I don't think they have a permanent display but set up for events and pull the gear out of storage. It is heavy on computers more than communications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Speedie

squonk wrote: »
    I've got a mate visiting at the weekend and we were thinking of going along to this museum. I can't find anywhere that gives opening times for the museum however. Their facebook page has virtually no information apart from where it's located and some contact email addresses. I've mailed them this morning but have had no response so far.

Does anybody know if they open on a Saturday afternoon?

It looks like a great museum but I wish they were a bit more customer focused as it's hard to even establish that the place is up and running by the looks of the information they have out there.

Has anyone any idea of their opening hours or what the story is at the moment?
    I am amazed at such a negative comment. The museum is a volunteer effort that facilitates group visits and special events every single week. As we say on Facebook, it is open to public Mon-Fri. But guided tours by appointment. I take it that ii was the person above who contacted me yesterday & I immediately offered to facilitate him & his 3 friends as best I could this Sat. Website up and running next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Interesting, please post when website is up so others that have interest can come and visit.

Btw, I didn't perceive that comment as particularly negative.

I'd be interested in visiting this.

Six and a half years to make your first post is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Funny just got a mail in work about this place, that right squonk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Seems to me that the problem might be in the name:

National <<whatever>> Museum != volunteer effort, IMHO.

Fair play to whoever got it off the ground, and to the folks who keep it operating. But maybe a more realistic title might help people understand .....

• Advertisement

kayos wrote: »
    Funny just got a mail in work about this place, that right squonk ;)

Yup, I did send a mail! I'm going to reply to the other message about negative comments but I was impressed that they offered a tour on Saturday so I wanted to throw open the opportunity to as wide a field as possible to make it worth their while. It is Saturday afterall.

Speedie wrote: »
    I am amazed at such a negative comment. The museum is a volunteer effort that facilitates group visits and special events every single week. As we say on Facebook, it is open to public Mon-Fri. But guided tours by appointment. I take it that ii was the person above who contacted me yesterday & I immediately offered to facilitate him & his 3 friends as best I could this Sat. Website up and running next week.

I'm sorry if my comments came across as negative. I was in contact with two members of the staff and have been accomodated this Saturday but there won't be 4 of us so it's perhaps another group. I am very impressed by that and I can only say great things about that alone.

Where I came from is that it didn't stand out on the facebook page that the exhibit was a volunteer effort only open at specific times. I came across two articles, one from the Irish Times saying the museum was open and a second from a science event last November saying the museum was open on Saturday. Rightly or wrongly, on the facebook page I was looking for opening hours and prices of entry etc. Those didn't stand out so I started to wonder if the museum was only a temporary item, especially as there was no dedicated website either. I'm sorry if my comments came across as being negative. They certainly weren't meant to be taken in that respect. I merely wanted to enquire from other boardsies if they knew the museum was definitely open or what the exact story was.

What you're doing is fantastic and I was also a bit disappointed when I thought the museum was something only open the odd time for events or else closed as it's a great collection and I really want to see the exhibits.

Sometimes when you are looking at an event or some such, you're just focused on opening hours and such so that's where the confusion lay as I was expecting to see a list of days with opening hours somewhere, and I couldn't find that.

Advertisement