Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a D a fail?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Neice just rang in tears.

She is in first year and failed 3 exams. Is a D a fail? Also, her QCA is 1.25 (I think)- is she screwed? I know she can fail 4 in an academic year but i'm worried about her ability to get the QCA up in the summer in order to go on to 2nd year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

its called a compensating fail, if she works hard next year, has no F's, and gets her average qca to 2 or above, she'll be fine, no need to repeat the d's

F's must be repeated in the August repeats.

failed a few myself this term, 3 regrettably didnt do a tap last term, but will work my ars off next term, and catch up !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

If she works more next semester and gets better results she may can get the QCA up past 2.0 and If she still comes short she can repeat one or two if necessary to get a capped C3 grade to get the QCA up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

At a QCA of 1.25, she could be in serious trouble. Her QCA for each semester must be 2.0 or higher to progress to the next academic year. She needs to meet her academic advisor asap and see what her options are.

Ref: http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/388196739.pdf section 1.5.3
    The minimum academic performance standard for each semester, unless otherwise specified by the Academic Council, shall be the achievement of a cumulative QCA of 2.00, with full credits awarded in all modules of the prescribed programme to date

Chimaera wrote: »
    At a QCA of 1.25, she could be in serious trouble. Her QCA for each semester must be 2.0 or higher to progress to the next academic year.

It must be above 2.0 at the end of the year with both semesters combined.

one of mine was below for first year and the other above
    they both balanced out to be 2.2 or something and that was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

And if you read the section of academic regulations I just quoted, each semester must be above 2.0 also - you can't average out bad grades in one semester with good ones from the next.

There's also a more fundamental question to be asked about whether the person is doing the right course after results like that. It's harsh I know, but it's expensive to repeat, and the further you go with something you're not able for, the more it'll cost to do something you are good at later on.

• Advertisement

And if you read the section of academic regulations I just quoted, each semester must be above 2.0 also - you can't average out bad grades in one semester with good ones from the next.

I did, so did a few of the lads i know did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

There's also a more fundamental question to be asked about whether the person is doing the right course after results like that. It's harsh I know, but it's expensive to repeat, and the further you go with something you're not able for, the more it'll cost to do something you are good at later on.

Each semester does not need to be over 2.0. Your cummulative qca (qca at the end of each year) must be over 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Thanks for the replies folks. She is very relieved she can stay on and repeat in the summer. I had a word with her and she's e-mailed her course advisor. I also talked to her about her commitment and ability in relation to the course and she admitted that she didn't exactly study her ass off so hopefully she's learned her lesson and will be ok from now on.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

if your cumulative qca is below 2 but your residual is above two does that mean that if the work is put in in semester 2 the qca can be salvaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    if your cumulative qca is below 2 but your residual is above two does that mean that if the work is put in in semester 2 the qca can be salvaged?

As I told you already on FB, yes it can.

• Advertisement

I know, I just like to be reassured constantly. the stress hasn't fully left me.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I know, I just like to be reassured constantly. the stress hasn't fully left me.:pac:

CALM DOWN, YOU'VE PASSED!

Happy now? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I got my results today, got 1 D2 and passed everything else.. I'm pretty sure your QCA gets written off after first year, so she should be grand. But she'll still need to put the work in.

They use first year in UL to weed out the slackers. If she just gets through this year and works hard, then second year should be much easier on her.

ya first year qca only matters as far as progressing to year 2. nothing to do with your final year qca

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

ya first year qca only matters as far as progressing to year 2. nothing to do with your final year qca

It matters for coop too. Depending on when you go on coop, first year will account for greater than or equal to 50% of the total semesters you will have received results for by the time you go on coop.

well ****. I'm gonna end up in somalia now for co-op or something because of my xmas results :pac:

They use first year in UL to weed out the slackers.

liesssssssssss, Im in second year :D

Advertisement