Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to train for first mma fight?

• 19-01-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I started training bjj about 10 months ago. I'm happy with how I am progressing. I am very athletic, strong for my size, and take to new sport very well.
    I have no previous combat sport training (except for 3 months muay thai 2 years ago!) and i would like to have a c class mma fight in 2-3 years time but i am wondering what diciplines i should focus on most and what path i should take (eg fight in submission grappling then mma league then c class???).
    Since bjj was totally alien to me i decided to focus on this first.
    What level of bjj would you need to take an mma fight? I assume at least blue belt level? (I don't train gi but I mean to be at the level to submit blue belts in sparring.)
    I assume muay thai is the best striking art to focus on next?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

monkey8 wrote: »
    I started training bjj about 10 months ago. I'm happy with how I am progressing. I am very athletic, strong for my size, and take to new sport very well.
    I have no previous combat sport training (except for 3 months muay thai 2 years ago!) and i would like to have a c class mma fight in 2-3 years time but i am wondering what diciplines i should focus on most and what path i should take (eg fight in submission grappling then mma league then c class???).
    Since bjj was totally alien to me i decided to focus on this first.
    What level of bjj would you need to take an mma fight? I assume at least blue belt level? (I don't train gi but I mean to be at the level to submit blue belts in sparring.)
    I assume muay thai is the best striking art to focus on next?

What do you guys think?

Join a club, train MMA and get your coach to advise you on what path you need to follow, after 2-3 years you could have 10-15 c class fights under you, in my club if you want to fight and train for it you can fight, so for example if your training 6 months you will be matched with another lad about 6 months training.

Imagine joining soccer only to have your 1st match after 3 years when your very skilled, but with no practical experience, C class is practise for going pro and also to help you realise what area's of your game need work.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Join the MMA club with the best record that you can get too

Train hard

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

do ye think its better to join an mma club rather than training in a club that only trains muay thai one day and a club that only trains bjj the next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quick question, are any on the coaches in ireland grading no-gi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

do ye think its better to join an mma club rather than training in a club that only trains muay thai one day and a club that only trains bjj the next?

If mma is your aim then training mma is better than training 1 day of each, even if you get good at both you might not be able to put them together like you would in mma class.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

BJJ will not teach you GNP

Thai will not teach you footwork to avoid a shot

Just small examples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BJJ will not teach you GNP

Thai will not teach you footwork to avoid a shot

Just small examples
    Plus a huge amount of BJJ doesn't apply to MMA. I think Roger Gracie said 80% of his BJJ doesn't work in an MMA fight.
    So, that would need to be adapted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

OP if you have a good BJJ instructor, ask him. He'll be able to recommend somewhere for striking, for wrestling and MMA. Get the best training you can, don't be hung up on whether it's "MMA" or not. It's much easier to pare down techniques and skills to those useful for MMA, rather than adding things that are best developed in isolation to a generic MMA base.

If you're near (or indeed training in) a good MMA gym then you're sorted, but bear in mind that they differ greatly in terms of when, how and if you'll be fighting.

So, in essence, train with good people and compete in whatever your instructors think is appropriate (if want to of course). Having a semi-pro fight in a few years is a good distant goal, but just make sure you're enjoying the journey or you'll be disappointed when you arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Go join an MMA gym and get a few classes. I joined one a few weeks ago, spent the first two weeks on fitness and technique and got a bit of wrestling against an opponent this week.

Id say I'll be ready for a proper fight in a few months the ways things are progressing.

I'm finding MMA really addictive, and there's a real drive to learn the moves and become fitter than the rest of the lads :D

I trained in TaeKwonDo and boxing before this. MMA is by far the best.

Advertisement