Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indestructible dog bed?

• 19-01-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a dog bed that their dog has not been able to destroy?

Since the arrival of Izzy she has destroyed everything in sight, sofa/wall/beds...

The sofa I dont mind we were getting a new one anyway, The wall, that annoyed me but its fixed now. But the beds get to me, she loves her new beds when she gets them but after a few days I wake up to a kitchen full of fluff and fabric everywhere! What is worse is that she loves trying to eat it, usually after a night of wrecking the bedding she gets sick a couple of hours later a ball of fabric/fluff.

So I am on the hunt now for a bed which is not so easy for the dogs to eat, any help lads/ladies??

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Vet bed... is your only man... its excellent.... and extremely difficult to chew / destroy

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/251997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

What about the plain hard plastic ones with either vet bed or just old sheets in it until she gets out of her chewing phase (presuming she will!). Il have a look later on but I have a magazine somewhere that reviewed non-destructible beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Cheers Zappery I have thought of getting one of those hard plastic ones but because I have a cage for both her and buddy I wanted something like a liner for the bottom tray in the cage. I hope she goes out of the chewing phase, constantly making sure she hasn't eaten threads is a nightmare!!

Thanks Cocker they look great, something like that though I think would be gone in 5 minutes, but I just never know what takes her fancy!

Buddy makes it worse when she starts it, he takes all the available fluff thread he can in his mouth and brings it to me when I go into the kitchen... His face says "look what we have got for you" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Kuranda are supposed to be brilliant, and indestructible, just checking on their site, they now do a crate bed :)

http://kuranda.com/dog-beds/dog-crate-bed

That site is in America, but there are stockists here and in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got vet bed when my guy was smaller and he used to try and pluck the fluff out so I banned it lol - he LOVES it now though. I got 2 big slabs of it at pet expo from Broteglen and it seems much better quality than the one I got from PetMania http://www.bronteglen.ie/. He's a retriever so I got the wheat coloured one so hairs don't show up ;) the last one was brown and always looked grotty lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def try the vet bed, its the only bedding i use on mine now and wouldnt use anything else.
    But dont buy it online as i costs a fortune, get some at the dog shows, much better value :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i got vet bed from bronteglen while it is good, it's not in strips rather than a big mat as my dog has it chewed. I have no alternative but said I'd let u know that vet bed isn't an amazing solution like i thought it was going to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Vet bed is great my lot find it so cosy they wouldn't even dream of chewing on it. But some dogs will try to chew everything, maybe for now a rubber mat or something, do you pop a strong dog toy like a black kong in for the dog to keep their mind off it or would the pooch chew that up as well? Maybe a dog trainer can help with the problem itself, if the vet bed doesn't work it might be an idea.
    We got our vet bed from Bronteglen.ie maybe just buy one piece for now to see if it works then if it does invest in some more. It lasts for years and isn't that expensive. I've had vet bed here for 5 or 6 years only changed it recently just because I wanted another colour it was still in full working order. We've gone for pink for the girls and a macho black with grey paws for our boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭eoinburke67

In regards to the vet bed. I've made 4 beds out of vet bed, all destroyed in 5 hrs. I tied them to the bed with 6 cable ties and it was still destroyed. I made these beds in the dogs house for during the day. But she has one inside and it's never been destroyed. I second the idea on a strong kong. Found then recently and now believe it should be bought the day you get the dog absolutely brilliant. Best of luck finding the "indestructible" bed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ISDW wrote: »
    Kuranda are supposed to be brilliant, and indestructible, just checking on their site, they now do a crate bed :)

http://kuranda.com/dog-beds/dog-crate-bed

That site is in America, but there are stockists here and in the UK

+1
    These are super beds. They're difficult to destroy and don't have the "fluff factor" which may be motivating pup to start chewing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I would go with the plastic tub shaped beds for now and fill them with cheap fleeces , old bed linen etc.

I used to use them for my spaniel sized dogs when they were outdoors but now the whole gang have camped inside. A friend called over with her dogs one day and brought her beds and my hounds loved them. So I dug out my old tubs and put some bedding into them My hounds even prefer to sleep in the beds rather than on the sofa. its kind of funny to see as the beds are the medium sized ones and the hounds just squeeze themselves into them and curl up into tiny balls .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lyz2012

THE ONLY ABSOLUTE INDESTRUCTABLE DOG BED I HAVE FOUND IN 20 YEARS OF OWNING DOGS, IS THE TROJAN COSY DOG BED. I HAVE ONE IN EACH OF THE 3 SIZES AND THE DOGS LOVE THEM, ESPECIALLY WITH VET BED THROWN ON TOP..MADE FROM BULLET PROOF MATERIAL !! HONEST. ITS THE ONLY BED MY BOSTON TERRIERS HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WRECK. BETWEEN 40-85EU PLUS POST 5. FROM BRONTEGLEN NORTH IRELAND. THE ABSOLUTE BEST VET BED IS PROFLEECE, ONLY AVAILABLE FROM UK CAN PURCHASE ONLINE. THE FLEECE IS SO DENSE IT WEIGHS A TON.. EXPENSIVE TO BUY AND GET POSTED BUT LASTS A LIFETIME..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Lyz2012 wrote: »
    THE ONLY ABSOLUTE INDESTRUCTABLE DOG BED I HAVE FOUND IN 20 YEARS OF OWNING DOGS, IS THE TROJAN COSY DOG BED. I HAVE ONE IN EACH OF THE 3 SIZES AND THE DOGS LOVE THEM, ESPECIALLY WITH VET BED THROWN ON TOP..MADE FROM BULLET PROOF MATERIAL !! HONEST. ITS THE ONLY BED MY BOSTON TERRIERS HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WRECK. BETWEEN 40-85EU PLUS POST 5. FROM BRONTEGLEN NORTH IRELAND. THE ABSOLUTE BEST VET BED IS PROFLEECE, ONLY AVAILABLE FROM UK CAN PURCHASE ONLINE. THE FLEECE IS SO DENSE IT WEIGHS A TON.. EXPENSIVE TO BUY AND GET POSTED BUT LASTS A LIFETIME..

You can get the Trojan Cosy bed from Bronte Glen in Longford - www.bronteglen.ie

I have dealt with the folks in Longford before - very good service & delivery costs low.

I have 2 of the regular Trojan beds (not the cosy ones, works out cheaper) - they are waterproof and made from ballistic nylon. I have them in my living room. I was told my Bronte Glen at the time that potentially they could be destroyed - might take them at bit longer! At night my dogs sleep in the utility room with plastic beds with vet bedding. I could give them the Bronte Glen Trojan beds but they could be ripped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

cocker5 wrote: »
    Vet bed... is your only man... its excellent.... and extremely difficult to chew / destroy

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/251997

my gsd and husky can destroy a vetbed in 1 night, they are tough but just not tough enough

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Brian728

Having went through about six beds with my Labrador (one of them very expensive!!) a friend suggested a cow mat. Find it great. You can cut it to any size. I just have a fleece blanket laid over it. They can be bought in any co-op store. Might be worth a look...

When i purchase something that is classified as "indestructible" My husky goes out of his way to destroy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

When i purchase something that is classified as "indestructible" My husky goes out of his way to destroy it.

:D

My lot have never destroyed vet bed, they must like the softness, not proper huskies at all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

It's times like this that I envy owners of small dogs.

With a 1 yr old GSD, a 1 yr old Rottie and a 5 yr old Dane, if such a nondestructable product really existed I'd jump on it. But I'm hardly going to fork out €€€€ to try something that will likely be gone in hrs. I've checked out the links provided in this thread and I have no doubt that they would not survive for long under our roof.

So for now our Dane has an old duvet from a charity shop as her own private "bed" and the other two have to "suffer" on the floor by the woodstove. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ayla wrote: »
    It's times like this that I envy owners of small dogs.

With a 1 yr old GSD, a 1 yr old Rottie and a 5 yr old Dane, if such a nondestructable product really existed I'd jump on it. But I'm hardly going to fork out €€€€ to try something that will likely be gone in hrs. I've checked out the links provided in this thread and I have no doubt that they would not survive for long under our roof.

So for now our Dane has an old duvet from a charity shop as her own private "bed" and the other two have to "suffer" on the floor by the woodstove. ;)

Funnily enough my dogs bed is a dspca one that we've had for 2 years and no probs with it. It was half price @ €25 - I never would have entertained paying €50 for a bed but if anything every happens to this one I might splash out. He's good though and doesn't destroy stuff which would make it less risky lol!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

these are meant to be very good - they even come with a money back guarantee if they get wrecked! http://www.tuffies.co.uk/dog-beds.asp#chewproof

they are v expensive though - but I suppose if you never need to buy a bed again, it may be worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

They use vet bed in nala's dog creche and it seems to last well i've seen big dogs play tug of war with it and it hasn't ripped they wash and tumble dry it a couple times a week too. It does seem expensive but i've bought about 5 €10 pillow beds for nelson in the last few months and had to throw them out after he peed on them so i'm after buying 2 vet beds so i can have a spare one when i'm washing the other

Advertisement