Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Venues for a Largish Band in NCD?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm in a band and living in NCD. Would like to do some gigs in the region but not sure of any venues that would be suitable for us.

We're a 10 piece funk and soul band, so we can't just fit in the corner of most pubs very easily!

Any suggestions / contacts greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

The Slaughtered Lamb (The Central) Swords Main Street.

I was at an 80's night there on St. Stephen's night and the group on stage was fairly large.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Cheers, I'll check that out for starters.

Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hmmm... the stage in the Slaughtered Lamb isn't the biggest TBH (let's the 5 or us weren't cramped, but we didn't have room to run around either). OP I played a gig in the PSLC in portmarnock recently and they have a huge stage in a pretty big room too, so you'd probably need a decent crowd to fill it or it would appear empty. From my own experience most places we play can just about fit my own group on stage (2 guitars, bass, drums and singer), so you're choice are pretty limited when it comes to playing pubs anyway. Failing that, some of the bigger places in town might be better suited to you. Let us know if you've any gigs coming up, I'd love to see a full soul / funk band in the flesh, it's so rare to see them!

Thanks for the info. Not sure a hall would suit but I'll keep it in mind. We've squashed ourselves into some fairly tight spots but it's tricky. I'll drop into the Lamb and check it out.

Re gigs, I'll PM you in a moment if that's OK, could be seen as spamming if I put stuff up here.

Re the hall thing, what business model did you use? Hire venue and charge at door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Well for the hall, we were just one of the bands playing, it was a fund raiser for St. Michael's house, so they organised it all. But yeah, they had the hall and then charged in at the door. The setup was unreal though, loads of lights, great monitors and all that jazz!

• Advertisement

OK, that is interesting. A good sound / setup is important to us.

I'll check the place out soon enough.

Ta.

Advertisement