Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non political naming

• 19-01-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I have been invited to speak at a seminar soon. It is discussing social inclusion and integration for all on a cross-border project based in Derry/Londonderry.

I really need to know if I am expected to say "Derry-stroke-Londonderry" each time I need to refer to the place, or is there another 'in' non offensive abbreviation on the go?

This is professional and I don't want to be 'seen' to have an afiliation with either 'side'.

No personal Derry/Londonderry vendetta answers please. This isn't personal it is work related.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

annascott wrote: »
    I have been invited to speak at a seminar soon. It is discussing social inclusion and integration for all on a cross-border project based in Derry/Londonderry.

I really need to know if I am expected to say "Derry-stroke-Londonderry" each time I need to refer to the place, or is there another 'in' non offensive abbreviation on the go?

This is professional and I don't want to be 'seen' to have an afiliation with either 'side'.

No personal Derry/Londonderry vendetta answers please. This isn't personal it is work related.

Go with 'The Maiden City' !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Will obviously depend on context, but could you try replacing some references with "this county"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Is there any guidance on literature etc. about the seminar, i.e. how is it referred to there? Is your target audience a professional group working in cross-border issues or are they members of the general community? You could introduce by mentioning that you're not sure how they would like it to be referred to and do they have a preference? Might be an ice breaker!

Mod Note: The OP's question is work-related and a serious, legitimate question. Any derailing of the thread along the lines that so often characterise any mention of the city in this forum will not be tolerated and bans will be issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

pow wow wrote: »
    Mod Note: The OP's question is work-related and a serious, legitimate question. Any derailing of the thread along the lines that so often characterise any mention of the city in this forum will not be tolerated and bans will be issued.
    I completely agree, but I've got to love the fact that right below that your sig says
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

pow wow wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]Is there any guidance on literature etc. about the seminar, i.e. how is it referred to there?[HTML][/HTML] Is your target audience a professional group working in cross-border issues or are they members of the general community? You could introduce by mentioning that you're not sure how they would like it to be referred to and do they have a preference? Might be an ice breaker!

All literature states Derry/Londonderry with the exception of referring to Diocese of Derry & Raphoe...
    I think I will try to avoid, just say 'this city' or take the lead from others.
    Thank you for your help

• Advertisement

I completely agree, but I've got to love the fact that right below that your sig says

:D

Ah now, fun and turning a thread into a row are two very different things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If in doubt call it "Derry/Londonderry"

You could always ask for advice from whoever invited you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

If I were in your position I would call it whatever I call it naturally. The reason for this would be you are bound to slip back to saying it at some point having said the other, you might trip yourself up and appear to have a lack of confidence.

And besides I don't think I would be worried in your case. If people at a seminar for social inclusion and integration can get their feathers ruffled because of a name, that project is not going to get very far!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

It's a good question. I hope I don't step on anyone's toes as I know it's a sensitive subject, but I work in the city and typically it's referred to as Derry by both sides here and customers in the UK. When someone calls it Londonderry, that's OK too.

It might be an option to use it interchangeably, like the BBC does.

Though maybe your proposal of "the city" might be a good approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well who is in your audience? When you say cross community is it like from both sides or what. And are you talking about the city or the county. If city I would just call it Derry and refer to Londonderry every so often no one calls it Londonderry. If referring to the county just call it Londonderry Derry quite alot call it Londonderry as the history of that is different to the city. And to ease it up a bit I would recommend calling it the city or the county aswell.. I don't recommend calling it what you think because that can be seen to be quite offensive and arrogant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

muffler wrote: »
    If in doubt call it "Derry/Londonderry"

You could always ask for advice from whoever invited you.

This ^^^ sounds like a good idea :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would try to slip in the odd 'Foyle area' or 'around the North West' instead of Derry/Londonderry if possible. That would get rid of some of them.

Then maybe alternate between Derry and Londonderry? That way you can't be accused of coming down on one side or the other?

Perhaps it might also depend on who your audience will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

"This city", "the city", "this county", "the area" etc are probably the best. If you have something written (like in a Powerpoint presentation) then either use "Derry/Londonderry", or write "Londonderry" for the first mention and "Derry" for all subsequent mentions.

If you have to actually say it, you could say "Derry Londonderry", i.e. without the stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

And for the following (should you happen to mention any of them!) there is only one correct name:

Derry City Council (not Londonderry city council)
    Derry GAA
    Foyle and Londonderry College (a school)
    Londonderry Port

I think if you want to cover your bases you could say 'Derry Londonderry'.

It now seems to be an accepted phrase in the NW. When talking about the City of Culture award folk are starting to use it. You hear 'its a great event for Derry/Londonderry to get' etc. It rolls off the tongue easy enough.

And for God's sake, forget about getting Doire into your talk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Richard wrote: »
    And for the following (should you happen to mention any of them!) there is only one correct name:

Derry City Council (not Londonderry city council)
    Derry GAA
    Foyle and Londonderry College (a school)
    Londonderry Port

Derry Londonderry seems to be the best one which everybody is Ok with

Foyle and London College has rather controversially being renamed to Foyle College. I wouldn't even mention this unless it is absolutely neccesary as this renaming has been a huge issue recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Barrgain

Just call it Derry everybody does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Barrgain wrote: »
    Just call it Derry everybody does.

No...they don't.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

owenc wrote: »
    Well who is in your audience? When you say cross community is it like from both sides or what. And are you talking about the city or the county. If city I would just call it Derry and refer to Londonderry every so often no one calls it Londonderry. If referring to the county just call it Londonderry Derry quite alot call it Londonderry as the history of that is different to the city. And to ease it up a bit I would recommend calling it the city or the county aswell.. I don't recommend calling it what you think because that can be seen to be quite offensive and arrogant.

Had a lecture last year where the lecturer (from Monaghan I think) said 'as much as it pains me! I have to call it Londonderry County because of its history and origins' she referred to the city as Derry as it had pre-plantation origins etc but apparently this argument can't be applied to the county itself.

County Londonderry is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

NIMAN wrote: »
    County Londonderry is correct.

No its not.;)

We can agree to differ - I'm sure the OP managed just fine at her event which is probably long over by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Derry City is the official name for the City. The county is known as Londonderry for administrative purposes, Derry in football and Derry by the majority of people living there. Its fine to use Derry for everything in most contexts unless talking about a specific government or administrative body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This has been debated to death over the years and in the context of this thread I'm sure, as pointed out above by pow wow, the event in question is most likely over now.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement