Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

DamoKen wrote: »
    Hey All, starting to put together a build list for my new main machine so any thoughts/advice more than welcome, in particular on the graphics card which I haven't included in the list below.

On my current HTPC build I have a Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti Phantom (http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/gainward-geforce-gtx-560-ti-835mhz-1gb-pci-express-hdmi-phantom-7KT0.html?refs=465330000&src=3) which is perfect for the odd spot of gaming.

The display used is a 42" plasma with a native resolution of 1024x768 so this is more than enough.

The display for my main pc however is a 27" TFT with a native resolution of 1920X1080 so guessing something with a bit more grunt might be required. Would I be right in thinking this?

So what card to get? Have to admit I'm a tad confused by the bewildering array of similiarly named cards out there so any suggestions would be much appreciated. I was looking at the GTX 580 range but kinda hard to justify that price range!

I remember reading somewhere that a new range of cards are about to come out so would it be worth holding off on a card for now, use my existing 560TI in the new build and then pick up a reduced price GTX 580 when the new flagship cards hit the shelves?

Anyway below is the rest of my shopping list. Price so far comes to €1,229.87

Cheers!

Asus Intel Gamer Bundle (Includes P8Z68-V/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Core i7-2600K & 8GB DDR3) http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/asus-intel-gamer-bundle--includes-p8z68-v-gen3-motherboard--intel-core-i7-2600k---8gb-ddr3--7VJH.html

Corsair Memory Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Case http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/corsair-memory-special-edition-white-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case-7JR8.html

OCZ Technology 120GB Vertex 3 Series SATA III 2.5" Solid State Drive http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/ocz-technology-120gb-vertex-3-series-sata-iii-2-5--solid-state-drive-7D7X.html

Noctua Dual Radiator and Fan CPU Cooler Multi-Socket http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/noctua-dual-radiator-and-fan-cpu-cooler-multi-socket-73GN.html

Corsair 750 Watt Pro Series Gold AX750 http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/corsair-750-watt-pro-series-gold-ax750-71HL.html

Samsung 2TB SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG SATA3 32MB Hard Drive http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/samsung-2tb-spinpoint-ecogreen-f4eg-sata3-32mb-hard-drive-74TD.html

What is the computer going to be used for? Is there a reason is paticular you are using dabs?

I'd go for a different SSD as the Vertex 3 have a fairly high fail rate. Better off going with a Crucial M4.

If it's a gaming build then a i7-2600k offers no benefit over a 2500k.

750w is too much really, you could drop down to a 550w.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Hi Tij, sorry should have specified that this build will be in the main for gaming, watching the odd movie and also photo editing through Photoshop.

Agree on the 2600K being overkill for gaming alone, have the 2500K on my HTPC build and have to say very happy with it. Had a look through a few threads regarding media apps since posting and didn't see much of a difference between the two when using photoshop so might just go with the 2500K.

Heard about the fail rates on the original run of the Vertex 3 drives but as far as I know this has been addressed, at least seem to recall reading that in PC Format. Also I have this drive in my HTPC and have to say I have been really impressed with it's performance to date so think I'll stick with it.

No reason in particular for Dabs, just did a like for like with Scan who I'd normally go with and saw a healthy price difference in favour of Dabs.ie which surprised me :)

Did a load test on the PSU assuming I dropped a GTX 580 in over the next months and came in at 496W so not a lot of room to maneuver if I went with a few extra drives/fans/etc over the next while..... actually scratch that, since my last build now have a general nas server so no need for additional drives, plus going on past performance I tend to do a full build every 3 years rather than an incremental so at that point will probably be changing the PSU anyway :)

Hi Tij, sorry should have specified that this build will be in the main for gaming, watching the odd movie and also photo editing through Photoshop.

Agree on the 2600K being overkill for gaming alone, have the 2500K on my HTPC build and have to say very happy with it. Had a look through a few threads regarding media apps since posting and didn't see much of a difference between the two when using photoshop so might just go with the 2500K.

Heard about the fail rates on the original run of the Vertex 3 drives but as far as I know this has been addressed, at least seem to recall reading that in PC Format. Also I have this drive in my HTPC and have to say I have been really impressed with it's performance to date so think I'll stick with it.

No reason in particular for Dabs, just did a like for like with Scan who I'd normally go with and saw a healthy price difference in favour of Dabs.ie which surprised me :)

Did a load test on the PSU assuming I dropped a GTX 580 in over the next months and came in at 496W so not a lot of room to maneuver if I went with a few extra drives/fans/etc over the next while..... actually scratch that, since my last build now have a general nas server so no need for additional drives, plus going on past performance I tend to do a full build every 3 years rather than an incremental so at that point will probably be changing the PSU anyway :)

Is there a requirement for using dabs4work.ie as opposed to dabs.ie. Never seen dabs4work.ie and I'm curious because they seem to be very cheap.

EDIT: Here's a build from HWVS to compare to.

Item| Price
    Total build cost: €966.59 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 |€197.91
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile blau PC3-12800U CL9 |€39.95
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB 6,4cm (2,5") SATA3 |€141.74
    Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T, ATX, ohne Netzteil |€149.93
    Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt3, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express |€234.61
    SEAGATE Barracuda Green 2TB 5900.3 SATA 3 6Gb/s 64MB 8,9cm (3,5") |€115.00
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet |€34.44
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W |€53.01

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I'd say dabs4work is for those with a vat number.

k

Sorry Tij, as Karl rightly pointed out this is a business account. Did up a list earlier under my general account but forgot I had logged in under that one this time around! :o. Actual prices shown there are without VAT.

The overall price I quoted earlier in the thread is with VAT.

Cheers for the alternative list btw, not too sure of the Amazon psu, very little I could find on them in English so may stick with a coolermaster or corsair psu which are brands I've always liked in the past.

Never bought off hardwareversand before. Was going to years back but the whole money transfer instead of paying by card put me off. Is this still the case?

Prices look very good overall.

• Advertisement

Sorry Tij, as Karl rightly pointed out this is a business account. Did up a list earlier under my general account but forgot I had logged in under that one this time around! :o. Actual prices shown there are without VAT.

The overall price I quoted earlier in the thread is with VAT.

Cheers for the alternative list btw, not too sure of the Amazon psu, very little I could find on them in English so may stick with a coolermaster or corsair psu which are brands I've always liked in the past.

Never bought off hardwareversand before. Was going to years back but the whole money transfer instead of paying by card put me off. Is this still the case?

Prices look very good overall.

That line of Amazon PSU's are very good and reliable. If you want to go with a Corsair go with this one.

Yeah it's still a bank transfer. You can do it through online banking on AIB and BoI. Or just go down to the bank with all the information. It's very safe and a lot of the people around here can vouch for HWVS. It's unlikely you'd find anything of comparable prices for such a large build. The only issue is the delivery times since it has to come from Germany.

delivery time wouldn't be a huge issue as long as it's not weeks! I'll have a look around the site over the weekend and think about it.

By the way meant to ask in my last post. You have the 6950 listed as a graphics card, not as conversant with the ATI cards as I used to be. How would this stack up against my current GTX560 TI? Would I be justified in buying the new card or use the existing card out of my HTPC for now and buy a more powerful card down the line when the 580 price falls?

Thanks again!

delivery time wouldn't be a huge issue as long as it's not weeks! I'll have a look around the site over the weekend and think about it.

By the way meant to ask in my last post. You have the 6950 listed as a graphics card, not as conversant with the ATI cards as I used to be. How would this stack up against my current GTX560 TI? Would I be justified in buying the new card or use the existing card out of my HTPC for now and buy a more powerful card down the line when the 580 price falls?

Thanks again!

A 6950 is better than a 560ti but I would actually recommend using the 560ti for now and then buy a 7950/7870 when they release soon.

For the 580 you're paying a lot more for that increase in performance. If you were considering the 580 I'd much more recommend the 7970 since it's much better and around the same price point, but it's still over 500 quid. The 580 might drop in price but we'll have to wait and see how the 7950 will fare against the rest.

Thanks again!

Ok answered my own question doing a comparison on Toms Hardware. Not a massive difference between the two so think until there's a reasonable price drop on the 580's I'll take the 560TI out of my HTPC. Hardly ever game on it anyway. Despite a 42" screen still prefer a desktop monitor to a sore neck looking up at the wall :)

/edit beat me to it ;)
    A 6950 is better than a 560ti but I would actually recommend using the 560ti for now and then buy a 7950/7870 when they release soon.

Regarding the 580 yeah think the price as it stands is ridiculous, not a chance I could justify paying that. As you say I'll wait and see what the amd 7*** series affects prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 domolegac

Any help here would be appreciated, what about these specs, I am at max budget, just wondering if these specs will play most of the games out this year, ????
    *BASE_PRICE: [+333]
    BLUETOOTH: USB Bluetooth 2.X EDR Dongle with Led Light Thumb Size [+9]
    CABLE: None
    CAS: NZXT M59 Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Window [+12]
    CASUPGRADE: NONE
    CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK COLOR)
    CD2: Samsung SH-B123 12X Blu-Ray Player (please select the Blue Ray software in the Software section) [+47]
    COOL: NONE
    CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
    CS_FAN: Default Case Fan
    DONGLES: NONE
    EXPAN: NONE
    FA_HDD: None
    FAN: Asetek 510LC / Xtremegear Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (Asetek CPU Water Cooling ***Overclockable XXX***)
    FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 52in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+5] (BLACK COLOR)
    FLOPPY: NONE
    FREEBIE_CS: None
    FREEBIE_NVVC: None
    FREEBIE_OS: Free Microsoft® Office® 2010 STARTER EDITION (Reduced-Functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising)
    GLASS3D: NONE
    HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
    HDD2: NONE
    HOMEINSTALL: NONE
    IEEE_CARD: NONE
    KEYBOARD: NONE
    MEMORY: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS3 w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX*** [+12])
    MODEM: NONE
    MONITOR: 24" TFT Active Matrix LCD/LED Display [+101] (ASUS VS247H 24" 5ms 1920x1080, D-sub, DVI, HDMI, Black Full HD LED Wide Monitor [+20])
    MONITOR2: NONE
    MONITOR3: NONE
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (780L) Chipset DDR3 Socket AM3+ Micro-ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, 1 PCIe X16, 1 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI
    MOUSE: NONE
    NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD
    OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+74] (64-bit Edition)
    OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    POWERSUPPLY: 650 Watts Power Supplies [+37] ( Coolermaster 650Watt GX Bronze Gaming Power Supply, SLI / Crossfire ready)
    RUSH: NONE
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: Logitech S120 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set [+8] (BLACK COLOR)
    TEMP: AEROCOOL 1000 Touch Screen Single Bay Fan Control and Temperature Display, Black [+19]
    UPS: None
    USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    USBHD: NONE
    VC_PHYSX: None
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6790 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card , Eyefinity 3 capable [+64] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
    VIDEO2: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
    VIDEO3: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
    WAP: NONE
    WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 1 Year Parts, 1 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support
    WNC: PCI-E Wireless 802.11n 300Mbps Network Interface Card [+17]
    XWNA: NONE
    _PRICE: (+758)
    _view_: d
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement