Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Keenan Banjo Festival moves to Tullamore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Here's the letter I submitted to the Longford Leader:
    Madam,

I was disappointed on hearing the news this week that the Johnny Keenan Banjo Festival will no longer be hosted in Longford town. Its relocation to Tullamore is yet another black mark on the local area, which will now be deprived of its economic and cultural benefits.

I was also surprised to read the comments made by the Chamber of Commerce President, Seamus Butler, who placed blame for the decision on the local population, claiming that the people of Longford did not support the festival. While it is obvious that attendance figures had dwindled in recent years, I must disagree with the conclusion reached by Mr. Butler for the event's demise.

Firstly, it is unreasonable to suggest that an event of the Banjo Festival's nature can be sustained by local patronage alone, especially in a town of Longford's size. Like most other music festivals, it must draw visitors from farther afield if it is to succeed. Indeed, in its heyday, the event did attract many revellers from the rest of the country and from across the globe. While there appears to be no exact figures available, anecdotal evidence suggests that attendance from this sector experienced a marked decline in the last two years.

Secondly, a music festival's success hinges on its ability to book marquee artists and to maintain a healthy variety of acts year-on-year. Worringly, six of the 14 acts booked for the 2011 edition of the festival had already appeared at least once in the previous two years, while it was also noticeably bereft of artists of the same calibre as Earl Scruggs, Bela Fleck and Steve Earle, who performed at the festival during it's height and attracted large crowds. Sure, popular acts such as Brian Kennedy and Mundy did make appearances in recent times, but their music bears no relation to the festival's main theme, and so would have been of little interest to lovers of banjo music.

I wholeheartedly believe these two points are central to the festival's failure, rather than the accusation made by Mr. Butler. Furthermore, I hope the organisers take note if they are to avoid encountering the same issues with their new venture in Tullamore.

Yours, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Really gutted to hear this,but not surprised.
    Not too impressed with Seamus Butlers remarks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

Probably having to deal with the Longford Arms Hotel more than anything TBH. That would send you mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Look lads this is disappointng alright and while im not a fan of s butler there is a lot of truth in what he says. there is a cohort around longford and the town in particular who will support nothing and bellyache about nothing. all they will spend their money on is cheap tracksuits in heatons and luigis chips and fcuk all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'm from Tullamore and I think its a disgrace. Sounds like sweeteners were offered, IMO.

It belongs in Longford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

It feels like Longford is been totally abandoned. Bye bye festival and the army barracks and the VEC builing to nearby counties.

I hope the town doesn't turn into a ghost town once this bypass is completed!

IPR_Iain wrote: »
    Probably having to deal with the Longford Arms Hotel more than anything TBH. That would send you mad.

The Longford Arms shouldn't be the defining factor in all of this.

It always surprised me that the Backstage Theatre wasn't exploited more for the festival...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

So they are moving the banjo festival from one kip to a slightly bigger kip.

I just dont see the logic.:confused:

I simply cannot understand why the largest, most vibrant, and most civilised town in the region...namely Athlone has not been considered for this great event.:mad:

We have the venues the bars the population and above all else the unique atmosphere to make it a truely successful festival.

martin1 wrote: »

I simply cannot understand why the largest, most vibrant, and most civilised town in the region...namely Athlone has not been considered for this great event.:mad:

We have the venues the bars the population and above all else the unique atmosphere to make it a truely successful festival.

Whilst I agree Athlone is a nice town, I take great offence at you calling Longford a kip. The festival was run successfully here for a decade, with great pubs and venues hosting the gigs. :mad:

It was needed a lot more by Longford than it is by Athlone for the revenue it brought into the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

:P

• Advertisement

Can @Martin1 explain precisely how Tullamore is a kip? I was annoyed but now I'm amused. You're clearly very out of touch with the view and reality of Tullamore. Its a well-liked town, very few ever have a bad word to say about it. Only ignorant naysayers. YOu're also clearly out of touch with the history of the Festival and who its founded in aid of? No one here is claiming Longford's festival for THEIR town except YOU ?? How thick is that? What connection has it to Athlone? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, pray tell, what's missing from Tullamore that Athlone has (for tourists) and bear in mind all of the events that Tullamore has held that leave far larger towns scratching their heads... Athlone included. The business community in Athlone could learn a lot from Tullamore. Same goes for Mullingar and Longford. Same goes for the night-life. Mods, maybe do a Midlands nightlife poll? I think Tullamore will be near the top.

Be precise now. Your credibility is on the line on Boards.ie. I would say its ebbing away to be honest. You can retort all you like. Be precise in your criticisms or, frankly, you'll look like an ignorant fool.

Might I remind you that this is a moment of hypocrisy for you: -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76360123 Mullingar out of control.
    post 24 "Can you give some examples to back up this ignorant statement." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And to think I thanked you on that post. Presumed you were for things not against things...... my mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

'Boom badda boom boom badda badda boom boom'. All I hear are tribal drums.
    Giuve it a rest lads or settle it the dacent way, with an all out brawl on de GAA pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GtotheD

You needn't be a lover of Banjo music to enjoy the Festival, I used love heading down to Escabar for the dinner and the band in the corner.. or out for a couple of pints and find the same..

'Boom badda boom boom badda badda boom boom'. All I hear are tribal drums.
    Giuve it a rest lads or settle it the dacent way, with an all out brawl on de GAA pitch!

You only hear the drums now buster because the banjos have stopped playing........

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Well we all know what they say about banjo players:

They spend half the time tuning and the other half playing out of tune:D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Well we all know what they say about banjo players:

They spend half the time tuning and the other half playing out of tune:D

I take great exception to that comment,

:D

A banjo is a unique and verstile instrumnent that different and unique

well At least we"banjo players" can pick a tune?

what Insturment do you play?

as regards athlone

well they held the euro music festival in 2010 during tri- Athlone

In my opninion it was not a a sucess, I mean Athlone cannot compete with the tullamore fleagh, it draws in huge crowds on the streets during the day and evening,

The johnny keenan will need to generate buzz if its going to Survive at all.

I mean you will nead to emulate the tullamore fleagh as a benchmark.

the festival in itself has stagnated, i mean the 10th was a serious flop interms of numbers, I was there!

IF they move to tullamore, should not that iniatate a name change, I mean Johnny was from longord after all, not tullamore? to me thats the most daftest thing of all.

Advertisement