Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A nice restaraunt?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Well lads, just wondering if someone could recommend me a nice restaraunt to bring the girlfriend for her birthday, was surprised that there wasn't already a large thread about it.
    Be looking to go somewhere on the south side of the city center, maybe even as far out as Rathmines or Ranelagh.

I'm looking for somewhere fairly classy but at the same time in a reasonable price range, where a main course wouldn't cost you much more than 12-15 euro. We're both 20 so not really in a position to be spending big bucks. Food-wise it doesn't really matter, I suppose Irish or Italian preferably, just somewhere nice, maybe a bit fancy and a change from the norm.

I tried a couple of websites but i find them hard to handle really as there is so many conflicting views and doesn't really give you the insight you want.

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

To be honest alot of the classy places won't do main courses on the a la carte menus from 12-15 euros.

If you are willing to eat a bit earlier alot of them do great early bird/pre theatre menus.

A few examples would be FXB, Trocadero, Odessa & Marco Pierre White.

Try Green 19 on Camden street for good food at great prices. Might not be classy enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Peploes, Town bar and Grill, Il Segreto, Rolys, L'ecrivan, The Mansion House and Chapter One

I have been to Town Bar and Grill and the Mansion House for anniversaries/birthdays and food was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

kkdela6 wrote: »
    I'm looking for somewhere fairly classy but at the same time in a reasonable price range, where a main course wouldn't cost you much more than 12-15 euro

Fair enough and fair play to you, things are tight, but you're getting out there. Dublin is very very cheap when it comes to dining out if you look out for the deals.

The Green Hen is unusual, very nice, but mains can hit the €17 to €23 mark.

If you can get to the Pig's Ear before 6.30 there are two courses for €20 each. (I can appreciate you not wanting to go to an early bird when trying impress a new girl, but if she's with you a while she won't mind. A couple of drinks afterwards might be nice)

I think the best one for you is The Porthouse. Very very romantic, tiny, candles everywhere, good wines and it's Tapas... you eat what you want, hang on to your menu. I have walked out of this place full and slightly tipsy with a friend after spending €30 between the two of us.

Problem... you can't book it. You have to hover, see if there's a table, head off for a pint and come back. I have never NOT got a table though.

Best of luck.

Edit... forgot websites. Menus have prices on all three.

http://www.thepigsear.ie/
    http://www.thegreenhen.com/site/index.php
    http://porthouse.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Cheers for the help lads, ended up in Green 19. Lovely little restaraunt, great food and great prices. would recommend it to anyone

Advertisement