Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing Kitten to occasional visitor dog

• 19-01-2012 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I know there are quite a few threads on here with people asking about introducing kittens to dogs but I think mine is a little different & was hoping people would have some advice.

My partner & I are getting a kitten this weekend, we don't own a dog but over the coming year my Mam & her rescue mutt Toby will be coming to stay with us fairly regularly (and may stay with us for a couple of weeks at a time). Toby has been with my Mam for about 6 months (some git dumped him down a back lane near her) & is a terrier type dog of varied heritage (he genuinely looks more like a goat than a dog, barrel body, long legs, tiny head.) He's never, as far as we know, been around cats but he does have form for staring at my sisters guinea pigs like they're dinner & trying to chase down cows. My sister has also discovered that if you fake 'miaow' at him he immediately snaps to attention and starts looking around for the cat/miaow source.

Sorry, that's a lot waffley, but just to profile the Tobster. Terrier, likes to chase things, murderous glint in eye when hears a 'miaow'. What can we do to introduce them and try and make sure they can live together as harmoniously as possible? I'll be putting the kibosh on the whole thing where someone miaows at him and sits there laughing while he goes into hunter mode tonight!

Advertisement