Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tit Bonhomme

Options
  • 19-01-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

I would like to express my deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the crew of the Tit Bonhomme. I live close to the fishing community of Killybegs, my family have been deeply involved in fishing for generations and we have suffered huge losses here also. This tragedy as really struck a cord with us all.

I also want to express a deep gratitude to all involved in the rescue efforts, it is at a time like this that communities really pull together. This is very, very evident at this time. So well done to all, from the Gardai down to the children saying their prayers.

Please God will take the remaining missing men home to their families so they can begin the grieving process properly. Also, to the sole survivor Mohammed Add Elgwa, please God his physical, but more impotantly, his emotional injuries will heal in time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Truly awful. The Atlantic really is merciless.
    Was just listening on the radio, the divers have recovered another 2 bodies.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0119/glandore.html
    Two bodies have now been recovered during the search for the crew of the Tit Bonhomme off the Cork coast.
    The second body recovered close to the wreck has been identified as that of 21-year-old Kevin Kershaw.
    Earlier, the body of 26-year-old Attia Shaban was identified by one of his friends on the pier at Union Hall.

Kevin's family were saying how happy Kevin was to be starting a career in fishing and had got his lucky break, aboard the Tit Bonhomme.

May the families get all the support they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Tough 3 days down there. off till monday but please god it will be resolved by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope all the bodies are found that would be some comfort to the family and friends such a sad tragedy, RIP and god help the family and friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

If they are not found this weekend, they won't be found at all, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

If they are not found this weekend, they won't be found at all, sadly.
    That is the most crazy comment i have ever heard in my life!

What makes you qualified to say that?

Usually it takes 3-4 days for the gasses to build up to float a body but this time of year it could take up to 7 days. Sunday being 7 days.

And that is from experience not hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It is said that if a body isn't found by the ninth day then it won't be found. Although this isn't always the case. Please God it won't be in this situation

That is the most crazy comment i have ever heard in my life!

What makes you qualified to say that?

Usually it takes 3-4 days for the gasses to build up to float a body but this time of year it could take up to 7 days. Sunday being 7 days.

And that is from experience not hearsay.

Hopes were banking on crew being aboard when it sunk, perhaps in their bunks. However, vessel has apparently been searched to no avail. Wind and currents have been blowing into the harbour all week, so the hopw would be that any loose remains would float towards the harbour, hence the 2 FVs draging the inner harbour with nets all week. In the meantime the SAR heli has been flying a search pattern to the south, while other local FVs have been combing the shoreline, east and west of the harbour.

Depth of water outside the harbour is such that pressure will impact on remains in a far more dramatic manner than it would on a river or lake. Round these parts, 11 days is the norm for bodies to resurface. Presuming remains are not within the harbour, then they are in the open sea. Currents will carry them quickly in current conditions well beyond search area, most likely east or southeast.

I'm just being a realist, based on experience.

A third body was recovered this morning. It was that of Egyptian Wael Mohammad. As desperately sad as it is, it is wonderful for his family to have his body.

RIP Wael

http://http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0122/glandore.html

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paulclan

So sorry for the huge loss suffered by the families affected by this tragedy.
    We are leisure sailors,but have entered Glandore in the past in bad visibility, tired after a long passage, and found safety inside after peering through the murk for as long as it took.The directions are clear enough when planning your passage.It's a different matter when tired from the force of rough seas, entering in the dark.
    As I said,we are leisure sailors:
    Aquarius of Union Hall found time to haul us back to Baltimore, when a fractured diesel feed leaked all the fuel into the bilge.We had a 6 week old baby on board, no wind and a tide to America off Oilean Cleire.A gift of crabs thumbs, a shove towards Skinners dock, and the Aquarius was off back to Union Hall.We were mere leisure sailors, yet help was there, a few clicks on Ch 6 and say what was wrong."Over to you in a minute" they said!
    Just like to say thanks again ,after all those years have passed, since a kindly deed was done selflessly.So now it strikes to the heart,the loss, we cannot know the terrible pain of those who are in trouble now, but we will always remember the kindness of those so generous of spirit to other seafarers,so many helpers, divers, skippers, all helping in the true spirit of God and the sea.

Another body found today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Another body found today

Hopefully the sea will give up the last victim soon.
    A body found in Glandore Harbour in Cork this morning is thought to be one of the missing Tit Bonhomme crew members.

It is understood that the body was found floating close to the mouth of the harbour on the Glandore village side.

The body has been brought to the quayside at Union Hall where the families of the skipper Michael Hayes, and trawlerman Saied Aly Eldin, have gathered.

Thank God, it is wonderful news for the family. I don't think that unless you have been through the loss of someone and not having their body to bury; you can't fully understand the grief. From personal experience I know this will ease their lose in some small way.

RIP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

C103 news at 4 30pm are reporting it was the skipper who was recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

yes it was the skipper recovered, lets hope they find the last body.

gustafo wrote: »

Last body found today thank god

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    gustafo wrote: »

Last body found today thank god
    Fantastic news. God rest them all

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

So glad they are all found. It was lovely to see the people rallying round,well done to all involved.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

So glad they are all found. It was lovely to see the people rallying round,well done to all involved.

And it wasn't just the people of Cork, it was amazing to see the people from all over the country rallying around, and helping out.

Thanks for posting that Goldie. It's a pity the investigations don't go further back. There are some boat losses from earlier years that I would have liked to read an unbiased report about. It really is a shame considering all the losses which have occurred off our shores.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I read somewhere that the of one of the deceased's family had sued and got a settlement

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nej2013

Lets hope there was insurance in place. Fishing is a tough business, no easy life

Advertisement