Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redhat linux change display

Options
  • 19-01-2012 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I am using a redhat linux system at the moment that hasn't been set up in years. When I get to the login in screen the monitor goes black. I bypassed that by pressing ctrl, alt, f1 and logged in that way. I now need the correct commands so I can change my display so that I can use the interface.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Hi,

I am using a redhat linux system at the moment that hasn't been set up in years. When I get to the login in screen the monitor goes black. I bypassed that by pressing ctrl, alt, f1 and logged in that way. I now need the correct commands so I can change my display so that I can use the interface.

What version of Red Hat is it? What does "uname -a" show?

TBH it's not easy to describe how to start fixing a problem like that.

Is it possible the monitor goes out of range when you switch to the GUI login? Maybe try a better monitor?

Hi,

Given that the system is a few years old you are probably looking at configuring XFree86 or something like that (*shudder*).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Try running 'redhat-config-xfree86' wizard

Edit
    Failing that have a look at the /etc/X11/XF86Config config, try a lower rez

Thinking about it, Xfree86 is pretty ancient now, it was superceded by X.org in most distros. You could look for file xorg.conf if you don't find any XF86Config files.

Again, if you can identify the version of Red Hat that would help a lot.

See if there is a file called /etc/redhat-release or /etc/issue or something like that, and see what's in it.

*Edit* - Obligatory xkcd reference: http://xkcd.com/963/

Advertisement