Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The reasonable lifespan of a laptop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would be hesistant to automatically assume a hefty price tag assumes better quality, unless specifically called out in the product description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

dudara wrote: »
    I would be hesistant to automatically assume a hefty price tag assumes better quality, unless specifically called out in the product description.
    That wasn't really what I asked.
    Do you think that the judge should have no consideration as to the cost of the item when deciding if it's lifespan is reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cast_iron wrote: »
    That wasn't really what I asked.
    Do you think that the judge should have no consideration as to the cost of the item when deciding if it's lifespan is reasonable?
    Not so much cost as target market.

Take Dell's range of laptops. A top spec Inspiron 17 would almost cost the exact same as the base spec Precision M4600. It's clear as day however that a professional workstation like the M4600 is marketed as being a durable laptop with a long life cycle whereas the consumer Inspiron 17 isn't necessarily advertised as being durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

OP just learn how to or get someone to change the Hard Drive. Cheaper and far less hassle. YOur being ridden if they are asking €800 for a HD repair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Hi guys,

Thanks a million for all the advice. It was really useful to hear everyone's perspectives on the life expectancy of a HD and also how much it would cost to replace it myself.

I've got the problem sorted now. Not only is my Mac back, it's better than ever, with an expanded HD and a more recent OS.

Thanks again everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Apple did it for you without charge?

Zab wrote: »
    Apple did it for you without charge?

No, they didn't; it cost me 140 quid. I know people suggested doing it myself but I'm not confident around the insides of computers and thought this was a pretty reasonable price to know that was done properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    No, they didn't; it cost me 140 quid. I know people suggested doing it myself but I'm not confident around the insides of computers and thought this was a pretty reasonable price to know that was done properly.
    No it wasn't, did they install Operating System?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

€140 could have got you a 128GB SSD or a 1TB HDD possibly with change to spare. I wouldn't call it a fair price unless you got a minimum of a 500GB 7200RPM HDD.

No it wasn't, did they install Operating System?

<SNIP>
    €140 could have got you a 128GB SSD or a 1TB HDD possibly with change to spare. I wouldn't call it a fair price unless you got a minimum of a 500GB 7200RPM HDD.

Not sure what the size of the new HD is but it's larger than the old one. And yea, they gave uploaded a new OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - you can take the discussion about the technicalities of changing the HDD to the Computers & Laptops forum.

Stick to the Consumer Issue here.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dudara wrote: »

Every case is arguable on its own particular merits, but I think it is fair to start with a presumption that a high-price PC should in some way or ways be superior to a budget PC. That can include reasonable expectations about quality of components and build quality.

I'd still not be confident trying to convince a judge about that.

Every case is arguable on its own particular merits, but I think it is fair to start with a presumption that a high-price PC should in some way or ways be superior to a budget PC. That can include reasonable expectations about quality of components and build quality.

I'd still not be confident trying to convince a judge about that.

Although I didn't mention it in the original post, this was where my question arose from; the laptop cost over 3000E. Because of its price, I was afraid that any repair might have been prohibitively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

€140 - New HDD, professionally fitted, with warranty and new OS. Sounds fine to me.

gpf101 wrote: »
    €140 - New HDD, professionally fitted, with warranty and new OS. Sounds fine to me.

Same as. In fact, this would be the going rate where I work at the moment. Hard disk prices are still higher than they used to be.

Advertisement