Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchanging Irish licence for UK

Options
  • 19-01-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I have recently moved full time to Worcester and need a UK driving licence for work etc.

It is a permanent move but I would like to retain my Irish licence if at all possible.

It is a full B and full C licence if that makes any difference.

I have the documents needed to change it over but it says I need to surrender my Irish one. Is there any way around this? Should I have to move back to Ireland eventually, would I be able to change it back? Mainly worried about losing my truck qualification.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Nope, no way unless you resit the test over here. I think legally you can drive on your Irish license for up to 6 months, dependant on insurance, etc., then you have to exchange (*open to correction*) Same applies going the other direction. Also worth noting if it's a national identity thing that worries you, you'll still be listed as "Irish" on the UK license.

I have a UK license and will be very reluctant to swap it if/when I return to Ireland.

Forgot to say, there should be no issues changing it back when you return permanently to Ireland. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

No, definitely not an identity thing. England is providing me a home, a future wife and (if I get a positive response from the 20+ applications just this week) a job!

Thanks for the reply, all I was really worried about was losing out on anything along the way. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

I always thought if you lost your licence they would give you a replacement back in Ireland, then should you ever find your licence, you could hand in one of them to the English Authorities and in effect you would then have two licences.

cronin_j wrote: »
    I always thought if you lost your licence they would give you a replacement back in Ireland, then should you ever find your licence, you could hand in one of them to the English Authorities and in effect you would then have two licences.
    I thought that the DVLA would check with the Irish authorities whether there were any restrictions/bans that weren't listed on the license. In doing this they'd also notify that the person was swapping their license to a UK one and the Irish one would become null and void - regardless of how many copies you had made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I thought that the DVLA would check with the Irish authorities whether there were any restrictions/bans that weren't listed on the license. In doing this they'd also notify that the person was swapping their license to a UK one and the Irish one would become null and void - regardless of how many copies you had made.

How would it become null and void though. There's nothing actually on it to null and void. It's only a piece of paper

• Advertisement

How would it become null and void though. There's nothing actually on it to null and void. It's only a piece of paper
    Your original license is returned to the licensing authority in Ireland, meaning it is no longer legal to use it (or any copies) to drive on in the UK, Ireland or anywhere else.

Actually OP, I've had a quick look through the DVLA website. You may not need to surrender it just yet.
    DVLA wrote:
    European Community and European Economic Area

Licences issued in the European Community and European Economic Area make up two groups that are treated equally. The full list is:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

Visitors

If you hold a valid community licence and are visiting GB, you can drive any vehicle if the full entitlement for that vehicle is shown on the licence.

Residents

A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:

Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):
    •until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

Lorry, minibus, bus driving licence holders (vocational driving licence):
    •until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
    •if you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period
    •if you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident

In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.
    Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I thought I was the only Irish man in Worcester, don't steal my thunder.

Cheers for the replies as I was going to ask the same question myself. Want to get driving over here soon and was wondering about the license situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I swapped my UK licence for an Irish one. I didnt want to as it was valid until i was 70 or 75 and they couldnt put any penalty points on but it was the old paper ones without a picture and it took explaining to the guards at checkpoint when i didnt have it with me. If it had my picture on it then i dont think i would have swapped it as i was entitled to use it.
    If i moved back to the UK i wouldnt swap back unless told to do so by the police .
    I had to change cars after a few months as the customs kept asking questions as to why the car was over here so long. I had it taxed and insured in the UK.
    OP, just take a photocopy of your Irish licence for your own records and if you swap back then everything should transfer from licence to licence like it did for me and you have the photocopy as proof if any questions gets asked.

OP, why do you need (or did at this stage ) a UK licence for work? did they not accept the Irish one? .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Nope, no way unless you resit the test over here. I think legally you can drive on your Irish license for up to 6 months, dependant on insurance, etc., then you have to exchange (*open to correction*) Same applies going the other direction. Also worth noting if it's a national identity thing that worries you, you'll still be listed as "Irish" on the UK license.

I have a UK license and will be very reluctant to swap it if/when I return to Ireland.

Forgot to say, there should be no issues changing it back when you return permanently to Ireland. Good luck!

you can legally drive on your Irish licence for as long as it is valid. There is no 6 months restriction on an EU licence. I cannot find the citation at the moment but you are not permitted to simply apply for and sit a UK driving test if you already hold an EU licence which is vald for exchange. There is no reason why you should lose any Irish entitlement if you swap over and then back. That eing said, if you have the permission on your Irish licence but it would not transfer, why consider exchanging at all?

Marcusm wrote: »
    you can legally drive on your Irish licence for as long as it is valid. There is no 6 months restriction on an EU licence. I cannot find the citation at the moment but you are not permitted to simply apply for and sit a UK driving test if you already hold an EU licence which is vald for exchange. There is no reason why you should lose any Irish entitlement if you swap over and then back. That eing said, if you have the permission on your Irish licence but it would not transfer, why consider exchanging at all?
    Yeah I corrected myself later, I didn't know there was a restriction on sitting a test in another country if you've passed elsewhere though.
    Residents

A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:

Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):
    •until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

Lorry, minibus, bus driving licence holders (vocational driving licence):
    •until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
    •if you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period
    •if you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident
    Link

As for reasons to exchange, well the UK license just 'looks' better. Fits better in my wallet anyway!

• Advertisement

Found a link to confirm you cannot hold more than one EU licence
    europa.eu wrote:
    Is it possible to have two driving licences issued by different EU countries?
    NO — You may not hold a driving licence from more than one. This includes licences that have been revoked due to a driving offence.
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

hey guys. does anyone know where to go or what the exact protocol is to exchange a irish licence to UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    hey guys. does anyone know where to go or what the exact protocol is to exchange a irish licence to UK?

Get a form from UK post office and send it off to DVLA Swansea with the fee and your irish licence. Keep a photocopy of your Irish licence, just in case it gets lost in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

As this is my 51st post on boards.ie Here is the link...

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Always pay for registered post too it tends to speed things up. I had mine changed over within 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i recently exchanged my licence and my partner did hers on the same day, i uses registered post and she didn't

we both received our uk licences on the same day 4 working days later and i received my supporting documents on that day and she got them the following day

its a really quick turnaround and really easy to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just so you know you don't have to exchange it straight away.

Your Irish licence is ok to use up until its expiry date and then you can change over.
    As its a EU licence its ok to use EU wide.

EU law trumps the UK 6 month law.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Can someone please tell me what I need to do.
    I have lost my Irish driving licence but I am living in the UK.
    How can I apply for a UK driving licence?

Advertisement