Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best commute towns near Limerick?

• 19-01-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi,

There's a possibility we might be moving to Limerick for work soon but where is the best place to live in Limerick (excluding the city) or what places are the commute towns?

We dont want hustle and bustle or any trouble near us. A nice house in a nice town is preferable.

Any tips and advice appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Castleconnell is a nice spot!
    Also has a train service to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 galteeview

Murroe is a nice possibility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

+1 for Castleconnell - it's a lovely little village (with the best Chinese around :) )

Bunratty is also nice (not in Limerick per se, but definitely close enough to commute).

O'Briens bridge is nice too, again, I think that's Clare.

But I suppose it depends where in Limerick you'll be working...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Killaloe
    Adare
    Bruff
    Castleconnell
    Newport
    Thre's loads of them....have a look at some houses on Daft.ie, myhome.ie (or wherever). If you find something you like ask again about the specific town or village and see what sort of replies are posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sixmilebridge over the border in Co Clare is a nice spot. It's less than 20 minutes drive to Limerick City Centre, 20 minutes to Ennis, 15 minutes to the airport and 10 minutes to Shannon Town. It has all the amenities, 2 restaurants, 6 pubs, a library, church and a GAA club amongst others things.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the railway station, easy access to Limerick, Ennis and Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Villa05

galteeview wrote: »
    Murroe is a nice possibility!

For whom, regeneration and over-development has destroyed the area. It was a beautiful village but as ever Gov schemes have destroyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

+1 for Castleconnell. I'm here for nearly 6 years now.

- bus/train to Limerick (if you aren't driving)
    - good access to Limerick (if you are driving)
    - 1h45m to the Red Cow in Dublin (if that's important to you)
    - Easy access to Shannon airport (just a couple of miles from bypass)
    - Nice, picturesque laid back village with good supermarket, good takeaways and nice pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Broadford in Clare is good too. 10 mins to corbally and close to both Shannon and ennis. Good fresh air out there

Castleconnell is great too and has lots of amenities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Hi,

There's a possibility we might be moving to Limerick for work soon but where is the best place to live in Limerick (excluding the city) or what places are the commute towns?

We dont want hustle and bustle or any trouble near us. A nice house in a nice town is preferable.

Any tips and advice appreciated.
    Thank you.

read this:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/murroe_is_like_a_mini_new_york_says_ul_lecturer_1_3310154

Murroe, according to Prof. Stephen Kinsella, Economics Lecturer in UL.

alhough this is the same guy that when i was at a business conference in UL he suggested a LUAS type effort around the anacotty/castletroy area. gave me a giggle anyway! murroe/manhattan was an even worse comparison, but it's a nice village anyway, broadband infrastructure is shíte though! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

xsiborg wrote: »
    read this:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/murroe_is_like_a_mini_new_york_says_ul_lecturer_1_3310154

Murroe, according to Prof. Stephen Kinsella, Economics Lecturer in UL.

alhough this is the same guy that when i was at a business conference in UL he suggested a LUAS type effort around the anacotty/castletroy area. gave me a giggle anyway! murroe/manhattan was an even worse comparison, but it's a nice village anyway, broadband infrastructure is shíte though! :(

I genuinely think you're missing Kinsella's point. he's talking about the dynamics behind Murroe etc, why it functions the way it does, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Sixmilebridge over the border in Co Clare is a nice spot. It's less than 20 minutes drive to Limerick City Centre, 20 minutes to Ennis, 15 minutes to the airport and 10 minutes to Shannon Town. It has all the amenities, 2 restaurants, 6 pubs, a library, church and a GAA club amongst others things.

with one bus in the morning and one in the evening if you don't have a car you're screwed

I genuinely think you're missing Kinsella's point. he's talking about the dynamics behind Murroe etc, why it functions the way it does, etc.

no no, its not that i missed his point amazo, from talking to the guy i know his enthusiasm and his ideals to make the comparison may have come across as easily misinterpreted, i understand he meant the community dynamics but it just struck me as facetious at least for a learned economist to try and compare the dynamics of a metropolitan area like manhattan to a sleepy village in the mid-west of ireland.

murroe is an attractive prospect to those who want to get away from "the rat race", as it is expanding accomodation wise at least, but the infrastructure hasnt caught up with the housing boom, same as newport- all houses, but no proper economic infrastructure in place to meet the future demands of the future generations that will be living there.

castletroy at least is closer to the city without being TOO involved with the city, and it has the infrastructure and amenities to accomodate the people living there now, as well as future possible expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

no no, its not that i missed his point amazo, from talking to the guy i know his enthusiasm and his ideals to make the comparison may have come across as easily misinterpreted, i understand he meant the community dynamics but it just struck me as facetious at least for a learned economist to try and compare the dynamics of a metropolitan area like manhattan to a sleepy village in the mid-west of ireland.

I don't think it's that facetious, it's about communities, whether it's a successful city one or a successful village one. Seemingly on average most people only ever know 150 people well at any one time. All through life we move within little communities and from little community to little community. Why some communities are successful and others aren't is an interesting topic imo, are there underlying reasons for each state etc. That's what Kinsella is driving towards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Broadford in Clare is good too. 10 mins to corbally and close to both Shannon and ennis. Good fresh air out there

Castleconnell is great too and has lots of amenities

Love Broadford, I bought a house there - but there is no public transport, and next to no amenities. But if you do have a car, and like space, fresh air and stunning views, and can keep yourself entertained - then its idyllic.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

murroe is an attractive prospect to those who want to get away from "the rat race", as it is expanding accomodation wise at least, but the infrastructure hasnt caught up with the housing boom, same as newport- all houses, but no proper economic infrastructure in place to meet the future demands of the future generations that will be living there.

I think the infrastructure isn't too bad actually. Just wondering what infrastructure you think is missing? I don't want to turn this into a silly, your place v my place kinda thing now. The roads are reasonably ok, no roads anywhere are in very good nick these days reallly, sewerage capacity is fine, public lighting and signage is all up to date, 3 shops including a filling station in the village, 2 pubs in the village, 2 takeaways, hair salons, creches, post office, church, gaa club, soccer club, parish hall, nice pitch and putt course, glenstal is a lovely amenity to have at the village doorstep for walks, cycles etc, all 10 mins from the motorway. Sounds alright to me. We don't have a cinema or a light rail system :D So no film buffs or train spotters need apply

ACV

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Hospital is a good spot too - about half hour's drive away along good roads. I find it nice and peaceful, really friendly locals, few pubs, 2 good grocers, chipper, butchers, hardware, bakers etc. There's a bus that will get you in Limerick for about 8.40 in the morning and one out again around 5.30 in the evening. Countryside around is lovely too and it's really handy for Tipp., Charleville and Mitchelstown as well.

The only downside is telling people you live in Hospital - they tend to take a step backwards:)

Good luck wherever you land - I love Limerick (county and city)!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Try Enniskillen !

No house levy soon to be property tax...
    No Universal social charge...
    No Health insurance levy...
    No increase to road tax
    No new water charges
    No DIRT taking what little interest savings get...
    No VAT pushed up to 23%...
    No Import duty errrrr... first time registration fee
    No turn around on road tax for low emission cars...
    No etc... etc... etc...

With all money you'd save living there, the extra commute may be worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

+1, lovely little spot. Was there for their Winter music festival last weekend. Nice pubs, a few nice eateries,and close to town too. Kind of has a Ballykissangel feel to it!

I think the infrastructure isn't too bad actually. Just wondering what infrastructure you think is missing? I don't want to turn this into a silly, your place v my place kinda thing now. The roads are reasonably ok, no roads anywhere are in very good nick these days reallly, sewerage capacity is fine, public lighting and signage is all up to date, 3 shops including a filling station in the village, 2 pubs in the village, 2 takeaways, hair salons, creches, post office, church, gaa club, soccer club, parish hall, nice pitch and putt course, glenstal is a lovely amenity to have at the village doorstep for walks, cycles etc, all 10 mins from the motorway. Sounds alright to me. We don't have a cinema or a light rail system :D So no film buffs or train spotters need apply

ACV

no absolutely agree with you there, but from the rest of the things you mention in your post i can see already we'd have different points of view because myself im not really the outdoorsy type, whereas one thing that would be an absolute must for me is the availability of access to decent broadband. while all the amenities you mention are lovely, and ideally myself i would love to live out the country, but i just wouldn't be able to work, as i work a lot from home and depend on broadband.

admittedly the last time i was out in murroe was about two years ago on a job, just before ICE broadband went títs-up and were taken over by ripplecom (frying pan/fire situation), but i see from www.murroe.net that now www.munsterbroadband.ie is available, again though only a wireless effort (weather dependent access!).

incidentally, those mary from murroe pictures look like they were uploaded on a 56k dial-up connection! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Limerickhurler

Have a look at Adare its a beautiful little town with thatched cottages, plenty of shops, pubs and restaurants and two golf courses. Theres always a great buzz around the place and lovely walks along the river and the Manor grounds and Limerick is only a stones throw away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Eircom broadband now available in Murroe. :)

Things have got a bit raucous after the Valley Inn closes on a weekend - wasn't always like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Mr E wrote: »
    +1 for Castleconnell. I'm here for nearly 6 years now.

- bus/train to Limerick (if you aren't driving)
    - good access to Limerick (if you are driving)
    - 1h45m to the Red Cow in Dublin (if that's important to you)
    - Easy access to Shannon airport (just a couple of miles from bypass)
    - Nice, picturesque laid back village with good supermarket, good takeaways and nice pubs.

Where is nice in Castleconnel?I don't know it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

no absolutely agree with you there, but from the rest of the things you mention in your post i can see already we'd have different points of view because myself im not really the outdoorsy type, whereas one thing that would be an absolute must for me is the availability of access to decent broadband. while all the amenities you mention are lovely, and ideally myself i would love to live out the country, but i just wouldn't be able to work, as i work a lot from home and depend on broadband.

admittedly the last time i was out in murroe was about two years ago on a job, just before ICE broadband went títs-up and were taken over by ripplecom (frying pan/fire situation), but i see from www.murroe.net that now www.munsterbroadband.ie is available, again though only a wireless effort (weather dependent access!).

incidentally, those mary from murroe pictures look like they were uploaded on a 56k dial-up connection! :p

Oh god I remember those Ice Broadband days. I get a shiver up my spine just thinking about it. Yeah, it was great when Munster Broadband arrived. Great customer service, and very rarely needed which is even better of course. With Voadafone at Home now which, (suprisingly when you look at the voadafone problems on their threads here), the service has been absolutely perfect since day one. Just did a speed test and it came back download 2.57 and upload 0.31. Not great but a lot better than Ice used to be :D
    I'm sure the more you spend the more bandwith you'd get though.

Oh god I remember those Ice Broadband days. I get a shiver up my spine just thinking about it. Yeah, it was great when Munster Broadband arrived. Great customer service, and very rarely needed which is even better of course. With Voadafone at Home now which, (suprisingly when you look at the voadafone problems on their threads here), the service has been absolutely perfect since day one. Just did a speed test and it came back download 2.57 and upload 0.31. Not great but a lot better than Ice used to be :D
    I'm sure the more you spend the more bandwith you'd get though.

off-topic slightly but that sounds like you're getting great speeds on the 3MB package, i just wonder were you aware that for an extra €4 a month you could have their 7MB package?

sounds like the one thing that puts me off living rurally might just be solved in murroe at least! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Adare would be my choice most certainly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Two places I'm looking for info about:
    • Ballyneety
    • Kilfinny (turn left at Adare)

Any opinions would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

Castletroy on the outskirts of the city is ideal. Regular Euro bus into town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

off-topic slightly but that sounds like you're getting great speeds on the 3MB package, i just wonder were you aware that for an extra €4 a month you could have their 7MB package?

sounds like the one thing that puts me off living rurally might just be solved in murroe at least! ;)

[Off topic]
    I'm on the Vodafone at home 7Mb package in Murroe too and last speed test was 5.67Mbps down and .3Mbps up ping was 54ms not too bad all things considered.[/Off topic]

I think Murroe is a great little village. Yes there are some knackers around but it is not as bad as people would lead you to beleive. Most villages/towns around the county suffer from the same problems. Not too far from town either.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Adare is a traffic nightmare!

If you don't get out of the city at just the right time you can be stuck in huge tailbacks.

And if there's anything on in the manor, just forget about heading out there at all. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful place but I for one couldn't be dealing with the traffic.

Edit: I feel I should probably add something positive to this post as the above is very negative.

Good spots, Cratloe great little village with forest park, playground, national school and pub and shops. Only 10 from town and airport by N18 dual carriageway.

Ballina/Kilaloe, together they make up a pretty decent town. 15 to 20 mins by motorway (M7) to city. Restaurants and takeaways (Indian Chinese chippers) bars, petrol stations, it's on the mouth of lough derg, absolutely beautiful. There can be some problems with traffic as there is only one narrow bridge connecting the two and it is a big day trip spot when the weather is good. But it usually flows pretty well.

Nenagh, big town, pretty much every amenity you could think of. Administrative centre for north Tipperary, it has banks, hospital, shopping, restaurants and bars, cinema, everything you could want really. Half hour from city by M7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

Why would someone not like to live near the city? The countryside for me is for Sunday drives and somewhere to live when i'm over 60 years of age!! Country Villages and small towns depress me. Not enough to do and far too many local noseys and curtain twitchers.
    You can't beat life in a big or medium sized city (i.e Limerick).

Advertisement