Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best commute towns near Limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

TONY DAY wrote: »
    Why would someone not like to live near the city? The countryside for me is for Sunday drives and somewhere to live when i'm over 60 years of age!! Country Villages and small towns depress me. Not enough to do and far too many local noseys and curtain twitchers.
    You can't beat life in a big or medium sized city (i.e Limerick).

Because not everyone shares that view. I grew up in the city but would not like to live there again. Too used to the peace and quiet of the country. Different strokes for different folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

OP, my vote goes to Castleconnell, great spot, would be a fine place to live
    source wrote: »
    Ballina/Kilaloe, together they make up a pretty decent town.There can be some problems with traffic as there is only one narrow bridge connecting the two and it is a big day trip spot when the weather is good. But it usually flows pretty well.

Plans are under way to get the new bridge sorted one km south of the current bridge. Then the old bridge will be pedestranized.

It won't start for another two years.

They've been talking about it for years but Tipp North has the junior minister for transport now and he seems to be pulling in money for Tipperary projects.
    That's what ministers do best, get the money for projects in their area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

mikemac1 wrote: »

Plans are under way to get the new bridge sorted one km south of the current bridge. Then the old bridge will be pedestranized.

It won't start for another two years.

They've been talking about it for years but Tipp North has the junior minister for transport now and he seems to be pulling in money for Tipperary projects.
    That's what ministers do best, get the money for projects in their area

I won't hold my breath. My parents used to live out there and will be moving back there shortly. Been hearing about this bridge for around 5/6 years now and it's always almost about to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

xsiborg wrote: »
    read this:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/murroe_is_like_a_mini_new_york_says_ul_lecturer_1_3310154

Murroe, according to Prof. Stephen Kinsella, Economics Lecturer in UL.

alhough this is the same guy that when i was at a business conference in UL he suggested a LUAS type effort around the anacotty/castletroy area. gave me a giggle anyway! murroe/manhattan was an even worse comparison, but it's a nice village anyway, broadband infrastructure is shíte though! :(

You'd never guess Stephen Kinsella lives in Murroe would you:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Crea wrote: »
    You'd never guess Stephen Kinsella lives in Murroe would you:p

You wouldn't have to it states it in the article

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

nathan184 wrote: »
    Two places I'm looking for info about:
    • Ballyneety
    • Kilfinny (turn left at Adare)
    Any opinions would be welcome.

Hi Kilfinny is a very rural village, church, school there. There is Nevilles pub about 3 mins away. Very close to Adare, Croagh & Ballingarry, biggest drawback is the traffic in Adare. If you will be working regular office hours you will get caught up,especially bank holiday weekends, Fridays ect. But a lovely area. City is about 20 mins away, no traffic (Adare!!!)

Ballyneety is very close to Limerick city, grand enough area, as said your close to city so all amenities are only 10/15 mins away.

Personally I would choose Kilfinny Croagh area, but up to yourself, best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Thanks Clappy

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Hi,

There's a possibility we might be moving to Limerick for work soon but where is the best place to live in Limerick (excluding the city) or what places are the commute towns?

We dont want hustle and bustle or any trouble near us. A nice house in a nice town is preferable.

Any tips and advice appreciated.
    Thank you.

Have a look at Parteen. Technically it is in Co.Clare but it is only 3 miles from Limerick City Centre. You could do worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

If you don't mind me asking Bubs 99 why don't you want to actually live in the city or in one of the suburbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

nathan184 wrote: »
    Two places I'm looking for info about:
    • Ballyneety
    • Kilfinny (turn left at Adare)
    Any opinions would be welcome.

I live just beyond Ballyneety myself and in my opinion it is a great place to live, you could be at the Kilmallock roundabout in Limerick in less than ten minutes, in castletroy in 12 minutes and in Raheen in 15 minutes, primary schools in the area are good, only one pub in the village and it is not bad at all if you just want a few pints, it also has a shop/petrol station and the local garda station which can be handy as well as Kebab shop which isn't the worst.

Its a pity the golf club is closed as the driving range was a great way to waste an hour wacking balls.

It also has the usual gaa clubs and weight watcher club on Thursday.

If your looking for a quiet life then I would recomend it, if your looking for a small town setting then the village may be a bit on the small side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

Why would someone not like to live near the city? The countryside for me is for Sunday drives and somewhere to live when i'm over 60 years of age!! Country Villages and small towns depress me. Not enough to do and far too many local noseys and curtain twitchers.
    You can't beat life in a big or medium sized city (i.e Limerick).

You're joking aren't you? Limerick would be considered a medium/small sized "town" in most countries and a dreary one at that. Something needs to be done about Limerick and fast. It's turning into a ghost town, you'd certainly get alot more life and vibrancy in the commuter villages these days and that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Caherconlish - about 15 to 20 min drive into city, quiet place (mostly) a few pubs & couple of shops

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭howwedoin

bodonnell wrote: »
    Caherconlish - about 15 to 20 min drive into city, quiet place (mostly) a few pubs & couple of shops

Whatever you do, don't move there. Some scum in that place.

howwedoin wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't move there. Some scum in that place.

Predictable response. There are scum everywhere these days. Murroe, Newport, etc have their fair share of them too.

Well said Bazz. The levels of snobbery around in Ireland these days is astounding. And of course the real "scum" are the people in power and the bakers who have bled us dry.

Ha ha meant to say "Bankers" not "Bakers"!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Ha ha meant to say "Bankers" not "Bakers"!!!!

d'ough... :p

Well the bakers do have a lot of "dough"!!!! So maybe they are to blame for the mess we are in as well !!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

mikemac1 wrote: »

I've asked this already,but where are generally the good areas to live in Castleconnell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Ballina Killaloe for me. Traffic not a problem since traffic lights installed. Broadband not a problem. On the lake. Surrounded by mountains. 20min from Limerick. 10min from motorway. Loads of money spent on canals, marina recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I've asked this already,but where are generally the good areas to live in Castleconnell?

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why in Gods name would someone like to live out in the Sticks?? Honestly!! I can't get my head around it. You have to get into the car and drive just to get basic groceries. If you live in town or in a suburb just outside the city centre you can walk everywhere.
    Is that why country people are generally fatter than city people.

Why in Gods name would someone like to live out in the Sticks?? Honestly!! I can't get my head around it. You have to get into the car and drive just to get basic groceries. If you live in town or in a suburb just outside the city centre you can walk everywhere.

That is a very subjective view which is not shared by everyone. You might not contemplete surviving outside the city but plenty of people manage it just fine. Someone in the country might say why on earth would you want to live in a dirty, littered, noisy, concrete pale with drug addicts begging on every corner?

As I said earlier, different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

People want different things in life Tony. I spent my early years growing up in town then moved to the county at about 13. When I was 20 I moved back to town for about 8 years and rented a few apartments then moved back to the county. I love living in the country. Where I am living I don't need to get into my car to get basic groceries\go for a few drinks\go for dinner or much of anything else. If I do need to go to town it's only 10 miles away. It's not like most of the suggestions on this thread are on the side of a montain or anything.

When purchasing a house in the county you can often get a larger house with a larger garden for your money. Which again appeals to some people and not to others.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Bazz i'm not neccesarily talking about living in the city centre. I can walk to town in 10 minutes from my house and can honestly say i have never seen a drug addict begging on the street i live on or indeed burnt out cars or scumbags roaming around!!!
    And anyway most country towns now have a bad element living there. A certain small village near Hospital in Co Limerick is awash with drugs. Someone was arrested there last week .:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Anyone?

Iv a mate living in the Castlerock estate and it seems like a very nice place to live pretty quite and walking distance from the village.hope this helps.

Bazz i'm not neccesarily talking about living in the city centre. I can walk to town in 10 minutes from my house and can honestly say i have never seen a drug addict begging on the street i live on or indeed burnt out cars or scumbags roaming around!!!
    And anyway most country towns now have a bad element living there. A certain small village near Hospital in Co Limerick is awash with drugs. Someone was arrested there last week .:o

Well Tony living in the country doesn't mean living up the side of a mountain in the back of beyond either. This isn't 1950s Ireland, there is better infrastructure now that there ever has been and countryside is nowhere near as issolated as some townies imagine it to be.

I live just outside a village that is 15 mins from the motorway network and 25 mins from the city centre. It takes me slightly longer to get to one of the shopping centres than it took me when I lived in the city stuck in traffic. If I need to buy a loaf of bread, pint of milk, post a letter or order takeaway then I can do all that in the nearby village, again not an eventful task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

• Advertisement

Ah come on now Killaloe/Ballina your having a laugh!!!

Advertisement