Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any use for coal dust in gardening or other activities?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

I have recently emptied my coal bunker and have been left with approximately 10kilos of coal dust. Maybe this is the wrong Forum for this question but I am wondering how I might use the dust rather than put it in the waste for dumping. Would it be of any benefit in any aspect of gardening?

Is anyone aware of any other use it might be in some other activity?

I have a PC in the office only and will be leaving shortly but I will acknowledge any suggestions tomorrow.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

coal is toxic so should not be used in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Yeah don't use it in your garden but I have heard of people using it to make DIY briquettes...someting to do with toilet rolls and tape. Absolutely no idea if it works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Wet some of it to make a lump, throw it into the back of the fire while you are going away. The fire will last for a few hours without wasting coal and other firing when it's not needed. Slack is very handy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Many thanks for the suggestions. I should have realised it was toxic given the dangers of smoke from fires.

Will try mixing it with a bit of slack and gradually use it up that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It can be used to fumigate carrots of carrot fly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's toxic. it should not be used near your carrots.

Advertisement