Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private water well blocked

• 19-01-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone might know the best way around our issue. The family well drilling about 15 years ago seems to have collapsed in but I cannot be sure. If I drop some gravel down, it hits water but using a weighted string stops after about 9 meters down, so I assume its blocked. I don’t have any way to figure it our so we thought, a camera. The costs/quotes so far have been outrageous at 160e an hour with no guarantee :confused:. Because the well is already lined with steel I’m told that the well cannot be re-drilled :( Anyone know a better solution or a cheaper solution or experienced this issue themselves..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Hoping someone might know the best way around our issue. The family well drilling about 15 years ago seems to have collapsed in but I cannot be sure. If I drop some gravel down, it hits water but using a weighted string stops after about 9 meters down, so I assume its blocked. I don’t have any way to figure it our so we thought, a camera. The costs/quotes so far have been outrageous at 160e an hour with no guarantee :confused:. Because the well is already lined with steel I’m told that the well cannot be re-drilled :( Anyone know a better solution or a cheaper solution or experienced this issue themselves..

seen these lads advertising on donedeal, maybe they could help?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherfarming/2423291

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I've heard of blasting a well, but that is usually done to free up more water flowing from the rock into the well. Are the pipes ok, and what depth did the rock start?

If there is space around it you could get a track digger in, but it would be a fair big hole to get down 9-10 meters. Was done near here when the drill bit came off while drilling a well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Can you pull up the pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

djmc wrote: »
    Can you pull up the pump

No, the piping dropped down when I unplumped it but the electric cable is still there and is stuck so I'd hoped that the pump is with it.

seen these lads advertising on donedeal, maybe they could help?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherfarming/2423291

Cheers, will give him a bell tomorrow.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    I've heard of blasting a well, but that is usually done to free up more water flowing from the rock into the well. Are the pipes ok, and what depth did the rock start?

Can't be too sure. I rang the orginally drillers but they only have records for the last 7 years on file :( I would consider blasting if it was further than the eight meters down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just to clarify..
    You have a submersible pump?
    The pipes have dropped down but you still have the electric cable...

Is it possible your string is hitting the end of the pipes rather than a blockage in the bore??

Where is the rope which should be connected to the pump ??

I think I'd be thinking of a set of sewer rods (new) and a grapple on the end, see what it comes against... maybe just loose stone in well which could be moved or maybe it could catch the rope or pipes even...

Few years ago my mothers well went very slow due to sediment build up.. We managed to clean it ourselves... Lowered the pump to the bottom..pumped it out... flushed IBC down the well and pumped it out again... Repeated a half dozen times and left to settle... That was about three/four years ago and no bother since...

bbam wrote: »
    Just to clarify..
    You have a submersible pump?
    The pipes have dropped down but you still have the electric cable...

Is it possible your string is hitting the end of the pipes rather than a blockage in the bore??

Where is the rope which should be connected to the pump ??

I think I'd be thinking of a set of sewer rods (new) and a grapple on the end, see what it comes against... maybe just loose stone in well which could be moved or maybe it could catch the rope or pipes even...

Few years ago my mothers well went very slow due to sediment build up.. We managed to clean it ourselves... Lowered the pump to the bottom..pumped it out... flushed IBC down the well and pumped it out again... Repeated a half dozen times and left to settle... That was about three/four years ago and no bother since...

Sry about the delay in getting back to you. I had presumed that all pumps were submersible pumps but I cant be sure (and no'one to ask). The water pipes dropped and the electric cable is still in place but caught on something (could be the pipe but i dont know). I've managed to get to the water now, about 30 meters down and looking for sewer rods with a grapple if possible for rent.. hopefully i'll get some time next week.. would be great to sort out as these water charges for the farm will kill us..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

and looking for sewer rods with a grapple if possible for rent.. hopefully i'll get some time next week.. would be great to sort out as these water charges for the farm will kill us..

Buy new rods, they aren't that expensive, at worst rent some but buy 5m of new ones to go on the end. I would not stick used rods down my fresh water well, fook knows where they were last used. Wish you the best of luck, hope it goes well (ha, ha) and never know, you might strike oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Odelay wrote: »
    fook knows where they were last used.

truth is we all know well where they were used last...
    New rods only down the well....

• Advertisement
Advertisement