Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Dog food

• 19-01-2012 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have 3 dogs, and feed them on the same dry food, Flatazor Adult. €40 and i get 2 weeks out of it.

One of them is sensitive( I keep her on the dry only) but 2 of them will eat anything.

What, if any is the best option for dog food if you don't want to use dry food or raw meats.

Can I get longer out of the dry food that i use now by mixing other foods with it, ie our leftovers.

When i was growing up we fed the dogs scraps but now it seems like a bad thing....can u bulk out their feed with rice or pasta, I was told potatoes are a major NO NO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Dogs dont need carbohydrates so potatoes are a No.

You shouldn't consider any other option besides dry food or raw meat/fish. It will only be a waste of money as the dog wont benefit nutritionally.

Can I ask why you dont want to use meat? If cost is an issue you can ask the butcher for cheaper cuts like chicken neck, beef hearts, liver and bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You could bulk with rice or cooked potato (raw potato I think is poisonous) but that's all it will be a filler, if you were to reduce dry food and bulk with rice or potato every single day while adding nothing else technically they may end up with deficiencies. You could give leftovers (at least they will be varied) mixed in provided you stick to sensible things and don't start mixing in leftover curries and things like that! Also have a look at what foods are poisonous such as onions and raisins and avoid these.

Any reason why you want to avoid raw meats? Some things could be sourced cheaply depending where you live.

No harm looking at some of the higher quality (and more expensive) foods and work out the RDA and how much per day it costs to feed. It may work out cheaper for some of them if you could buy in bulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

what dogs have u got, how much u feeding them. just asking cos i feed whites dry food to 4 dogs including a st bernard and a gsd and it last me 3 and half weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭boodee

I have a rottweiler that's sensitive so i leave her on dry food. The jack russell and the gsd eat fine.

They just seem sooo hungry all the time. The leftovers i would use are mainly meat and veg, i weigh the food anytime i change it so i can keep on eye on portion size, both for financial reasons and because the rottie and jrt gain weight easily, they're neutered.

If there's no nutritional value to adding rice then yes it would be pointless, i'm not against giving meat, i just didn't think of it as on option as it seems to have some pros and cons....but then i suppose everything has.

They really love the Flatazor, Beta gave the rottie the runs. Anything too coloured or cheap makes her sick.

Could i mix in the meat then just for variation and extra nutrition.
    For example liver, do you just chop it up and add it to the dry food. I was looking at the thread on here about fresh food and see it's actually cheaper than i thought, so yes, i'ii be getting meat i think.

Can you give them chicken on the bone, I thought that chicken bones can splinter and get caught in their intestines causing all kinds of trouble.

I didn't know there were so much dogs couldn't have, i found this.....

Toxic Foods and Your Dog

People Foods That Can Poison Dogs

The kitchen can be a virtual playground for your dog's nose and taste buds. Most dogs love food and especially yearn for "people food". Dog experts have discouraged the feeding of table scraps to dogs for years because of the potentials for toxicity, obesity and general poor health. While healthy, well-balanced diets can be prepared for dogs using human food, it is essential to feed the right foods. Know what foods to avoid so you can prevent poisoning and keep your dog healthy. If you suspect your dog has ingested a toxic food, seek veterinary attention immediately.

Grapes and Raisins
    •Grapes and Raisins can cause irreversible damage to the kidneys, possible resulting in death.
    •Ingesting as few as 4-5 grapes or raisins can be poisonous to a 20 pound dog, though the exact toxic dose is not established.
    •Signs of toxicity include vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain, decreased urine production (possibly leading to lack of urine production), weakness and drunken gait.
    •Onset of signs typically occurs within 24 hours (though they can start just a few hours after consumption)

Onions
    •Onions can cause a form of hemolytic anemia called Heinz body anemia, a condition that causes the destruction of red blood cells. Kidney damage may follow.
    •Toxicity may occur from similar foods such as garlic and chives.
    •It is not clear what quantity of onions is poisonous, but the effects can be cumulative. Poisoning can result from raw, cooked and dehydrated forms. Avoid feeding table scraps and any foods cooked with onions (including some baby foods). Check your ingredients!
    •Signs are secondary to anemia, such as pale gums, rapid heart rate, weakness and lethargy. Other signs include vomiting, diarrhea, and bloody urine.
    •Treatment: blood transfusions and/or oxygen administration may be necessary, followed by specific fluid therapy.

Chocolate
    •Chocolate and cocoa contain a chemical called theobromide that can adversely affect the heart, lungs, kidney and central nervous system.
    •Pure baking chocolate is most toxic, while milk chocolate requires a higher quantity to cause harm. A 20 pound dog can be poisoned after consuming about 2 ounces of baking chocolate, but it would take nearly 20 ounces of milk chocolate to cause harm. Ingestion of cacao bean mulch can also be toxic.
    •Signs include excitement, tremors, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rate/rhythm, drunken gait, hyperthermia and coma.
    •Your vet may induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage. Treatment includes administration of activated charcoal and aggressive supportive care with fluid therapy and medications.

Caffeinated Items
    •Caffeine is quite similar to the toxic chemical in chocolate. It can damage the heart, lungs, kidney and central nervous system.
    •Commons sources of toxicity include caffeine pills, coffee beans and coffee, large amounts of tea, and chocolate.
    •Signs typically begin with restlessness, hyperactivity and vomiting. These can be followed by panting, weakness, drunken gait increased heart rate, muscle tremors and convulsions.
    •Your vet may induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage. Treatment includes administration of activated charcoal and supportive care with fluid therapy and medications.

Macadamia Nuts
    •Macadamia nuts, while generally not considered fatal, can cause your dog to experience severe illness.
    •The actually toxin is not known, nor is the mechanism of toxicity.
    •Ingestion of just a handful of nuts can cause adverse effects in any dog.
    •Signs include vomiting, weakness, depression, drunken gait, joint/muscle pain, and joint swelling.
    •Onset of signs typically occurs within 6-24 hours.
    •Dogs are typically treated symptomatically and recover within 24-48 hours. In-hospital supportive care may be recommend for dogs that become very sick.

Xylitol
    •Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener most often found in chewing gum and candy. In dogs, it stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin, resulting in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Xylitol ingestion can also cause severe liver damage.
    • As few as two pieces of gum can be hypoglycemia to a 20 pound dog. A pack of gum can cause liver damage.
    •Signs of toxicity can occur within 30-60 minutes and include weakness, drunken gait, collapse and seizures.
    •Your vet may induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage. The affected dog will likely need to be treated intravenously with dextrose (sugar) and monitored closely for 1-2 days. Many dogs improve with supportive care if treated early enough, though liver damage can be permanent.

Alchohol and Yeast Dough
    •Alcoholic beverages contain ethanol - a seriously toxic chemical compound that causes central nervous system and respiratory depression.
    •Uncooked yeast doughs also produce ethanol.
    •Even small amounts of ethanol can cause toxic effects.
    •Signs include sedation, depression, lethargy, weakness, drunken gait and hypothermia (low body temperature).
    •Ethanol is rapidly absorbed into the system, so it is important to seek medical attention quickly. It is not usually helpful to induce vomiting. Treatment includes aggressive supportive care with fluid therapy and medications.
    •Under controlled circumstances, alcohol is used by veterinarians as an antidote for antifreeze (ethylene glycol) poisoning.

Fruit Pits and Seeds
    •Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, and plum pits contain the toxin cyanide.
    •Signs of cyanide poisoning include vomiting, heavy breathing, apnea tachycardia, cardiac arrhythmias, coma, skin irritation.
    •In some cases, antidotes are available. Other treatments include oxygen therapy, fluids and supportive care.
    •Also take note that the leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Also, the fat content is not healthy for dogs.

Rotten or Moldy Foods
    Moldy or rotten foods can cause many problems for your dog, some more serious than others. Any food that seems "past its prime" should be kept out reach. Be especially careful to keep your dog away from trash cans. •Botulism, often from garbage, can cause paralysis, slow heart rate, constipation, and urine retention. An antitoxin is effective only if poisoning is caught early enough.
    •Rotten fruit produces ethanol, causing the same effects associated with alcohol or dough ingestion.
    •Moldy foods contain toxins that may cause muscle tremors, convulsions and drunkenness.
    •Therapy depends on the toxin. Your vet may induce vomiting. Sometimes, treatment includes activated charcoal. Supportive care with fluids and medications is often necessary.

Other Foods to Avoid

Certain foods, while not considered toxic, can still be unhealthy for your dog. Avoid any foods that are high in fat, sugar or sodium. These foods can contribute to indigestion, obesity, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and more. Dairy products may be difficult for dogs to digest. Corn cobs and bones can cause GI obstruction. Cooked bones may splinter and break easily, risking GI damage.
    Like people, too much junk food can cause poor condition and decreased energy. Remember that your dog is smaller than you and may be sensitive. What seems like "just a bite" for you is more like a small meal for your dog. If you want to feed homemade food, seek advice from your vet. You may wish to meet with a nutritionist for diet recommendations.

i just didn't think of it as on option as it seems to have some pros and cons

Yes as you say everything does but the dog is a carnivore and is meant to eat meat.
    For example liver, do you just chop it up and add it to the dry food.

I wouldn't add it to the dry food. If the dog decides it doesn't like the liver you'll have wasted a whole bowl of dry food. If you feed dry in the morning offer the chopped up liver in the evening. Only offer liver sparingly as it is very high in vitamin A.
    Can you give them chicken on the bone, I thought that chicken bones can splinter and get caught in their intestines causing all kinds of trouble.

Cooked bones will soften and splinter but you could give your dog a raw chicken leg with the bone included without a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Tarmina

I have a sensitive rottie too and a collie with Lupus and I have recently tried the collie with Robbies (grain free) salmon and potato which is a holistic food that you add warm water to and stir up until well mixed. I generally raw feed the rottie and have found this fantastic. See link here:

https://sites.google.com/site/farringtonvet/ageneralrawfooddietsheet

I thought it would be expensive but actually it really is not.....I buy beef hearts which amount to about 5-7 days of meals for €2.50....trays of mince for €3 (3-4 meals) so including vegetables and chicken wings it only costs about €1 a day to feed the dog but is so worth it......huge improvements in her mobility thanks to the oils you add.

If you didn't want to go down the raw feeding route (there is about 5 mins worth of preparation for each meal) the Robbies cereal free food mentioned above is the very best food I have come by for dogs with allergies or dietary sensitivities (and I deal with a lot of such dogs). The cheapest place you can buy it is dogfooddirect.ie (see link below).....but a bag lasts ages (6-8 weeks at least). Have seen huge improvements in weight, coat condition and have been able to reduce way down the steroids the collie is on since he started on this food a few weeks back.

http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/robbies-grain-free-salmon-and-potato-10-kg/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi termina,
    Where are you buying the meat? It sounds like you're getting good value there!

Another good free source is wild game. If you know anyone who hunts you might be able to persuade them to give you a rabbit or a duck, or even just part of one now and then.

Just make sure your strict with your worming when you feed wild meat.

Beef hearts are a great source and its cheap too. Same with chicken heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Some dogs just seem hungry all the time. One of mine is a little piggy, and would eat from morning till night if given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Tarmina

Buying from local butchers......they are very good. Get raw bones for free from them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but the local supplier has gotten this Flatazor food in. Anyone had experience with it? Verdict?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread but the local supplier has gotten this Flatazor food in. Anyone had experience with it? Verdict?
    Purely from an ingredients points of view it's about RC level. First part meat but second and/or third is wheat/corn etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Cheers.

Advertisement