Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovefilm in Ireland

Options
  • 19-01-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

There have been rumours floating around for a while (inc boards.ie), but nothing concrete, that amazon's lovefilm will become available here. There is nothing on their website to substantiate, so I am just putting it out to the masses - does anyone know more or is it just a pipedream?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hart

From what I understand the powers that be in the company are waiting to see how the Irish will react to Netflicks before testing the waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Hopefully they'll open up shop here too. I saw an ad for Lovefilm today and it seems like they have an unlimited pay monthly plan now, whereas I was under the impression they were only pay per view. Anyway, competition is always good for the consumer, so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

hopefully they come here because netflix is absolute rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PhilK

Yep, got to agree. Just cancelled after the first month's free trial. Way too small a catalogue and no indication of if/when they're going to add to it.

Now something that would let me watch 'Community' or 'Parks and Recreation' without breaking any laws would get my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

PhilK wrote: »
    Yep, got to agree. Just cancelled after the first month's free trial. Way too small a catalogue and no indication of if/when they're going to add to it.

Now something that would let me watch 'Community' or 'Parks and Recreation' without breaking any laws would get my money.

What laws would you be breaking? Google ads on You tube have ads for Unblock Us and other services to relocate your IP address, if it was illegal Google/You tube wouldnt be advertising them.

• Advertisement

MrChavcore wrote: »
    hopefully they come here because netflix is absolute rubbish!

Couldn't disagree more, in the last month have watched thru my PS3 in amazing quality on my 40 inch HD TV around 8 amazing documentaries, The first series of the fantastic Boss about a corrupt Mayor of Chicago (up there with Sopranos and Mad Men), the first episode of Lillyhammer with Steve Van Zandt, True Grit (2010), Enter The Void, and 2 of the 3 "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo" films plus a few episodes of Cheers, absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 michaelX

I certainly agree that Netflix in Ireland doesn't come close to what you would expect after you lived in the US and subscribed to the service there.
    I don't mind that it is online only, but the selection of films is just ridiculously small. Where are the new DVD releases? Where are films from the 40s, 50s, 60s? (yes, I've seen the handful they have up there) Where are the more artsy films released on DVD by Eureka, Artificial Eye, BFI etc.? Where is "The Wire", "Mad Men", "Lost" etc.?
    Unless they add significantly within the next couple of months I will definitely not using them.
    What I expect is a service that comes close to offer everything released on DVD in UK and Ireland.
    Lovefilms looks much better especially with their integration to amazon.co.uk. I just sent them an email to inquire if they have any plans to expand to Ireland, but the answer was only a Thank You for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What laws would you be breaking? Google ads on You tube have ads for Unblock Us and other services to relocate your IP address, if it was illegal Google/You tube wouldnt be advertising them.

You mean Google weren't recently fined something like half a million for advertising what they knew to be illegal pharmacies?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

michaelX wrote: »
    I certainly agree that Netflix in Ireland doesn't come close to what you would expect after you lived in the US and subscribed to the service there.
    I don't mind that it is online only, but the selection of films is just ridiculously small. Where are the new DVD releases? Where are films from the 40s, 50s, 60s? (yes, I've seen the handful they have up there) Where are the more artsy films released on DVD by Eureka, Artificial Eye, BFI etc.? Where is "The Wire", "Mad Men", "Lost" etc.?
    Unless they add significantly within the next couple of months I will definitely not using them.
    What I expect is a service that comes close to offer everything released on DVD in UK and Ireland.
    Lovefilms looks much better especially with their integration to amazon.co.uk. I just sent them an email to inquire if they have any plans to expand to Ireland, but the answer was only a Thank You for feedback.

I totally agree with you and the previous posters. I was all hyped up for Netflix when it came but I was so disappointed with it when I actually signed up for the trial. Maybe in time they will bring a wider selection of movies/shows, including ones that are actually new - not ancient like most of them currently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

For 7 euro a month? That's not realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I just sent them an email to inquire if they have any plans to expand to Ireland, but the answer was only a Thank You for feedback.

Amazon is all about profit. If they see a profitable market here they will move lovefilm in. I think Michael is on to something..... If they get enough enquiries it may open their eyes:rolleyes:

You are right. But I would happily pay a higher subscription fee or per download or whatever if I could watch the films I want.

Just checked again the collection: Martin Scorsese (only 3 films available), Steven Spielberg (only 2 films), no "Avatar", no "Lord of the Rings", no "Casablanca" - this is (good) mainstream cinema that I would expect even for 7 euro a month

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Christ, not another Netflix bashing thread. Uninformed one too.

That's right, I got carried away - this is a Lovefilm thread.

But please educate me about Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

adox wrote: »
    Christ, not another Netflix bashing thread. Uninformed one too.

I don't agree... It's just a discussion re lovefilm. Some people during the debate want to discuss the related Netflix. Some like and some dislike. I for one love Netflix, they hooked me from day one and I'm a paid subscriber now. I started this thread as, in my opinion, love film would nicely augment Netflix.:cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Anyone thinking that within 1 month of launching, Netflix UK and Ireland would have the same catalogue it's taken them the best part of ten years to build up in the US is thinking with an addled brain, especially at €7 a month. For the money netflix will cost me in a year, I could buy some DVDs, but I find netflix a useful "watch-once" option for stuff I'll enjoy but not particularly want to rewatch. YMMV.

One thing to note about Lovefilm is that while they're backed by Amazon and have some good items in their catalogue, their streaming service in the UK has long had an appalling reputation (because it was seen as a "free" bolt-on to their DVD-through-post service). It's only with the launch of Netflix that they've started offering a streaming-only service, and I've yet to see any indication over here that the standard has improved.

If Lovefilm are waiting to see how Netflix goes down before launching in Ireland, I wouldn't go holding my breath that they'll be pushing the DVD side of the offering, and the best catalogue in the world won't help a streaming-only service if the quality and reliability of the streams is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I've seen loads of posts on UK forums consisting of posters saying they were ditching Lovefilm and jumping to Netflix because it is better. Lovefilm have some newer releases but most of them are not included in the all you can eat streaming option. Instead you have to pay extra to rent them. And Netflix apparently has a much better selection of tv shows.

Plus, you can easily access Netflix USA which is brilliant. And I don't see how that is illegal? It may be against the Netflix T&C's but that doesn't make it illegal.

Thats just not a realistic economic model for anyone, for instance I can rent 3 older (not new titles) titles for a tenner from my Local Laser, if I was to do that twice a week for a month that would be 80 euro a month, or once a week 40 a month, to compete with that and provide unlimited streaming a service would have to charge at least 35 to 45 a month not 6.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Plus, you can easily access Netflix USA which is brilliant. And I don't see how that is illegal? It may be against the Netflix T&C's but that doesn't make it illegal.

How is this done?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

dceire wrote: »
    How is this done?

As per this post from the Netflix recommendations thread, discussion of how to bypass regional restrictions on Netflix or other services isn't allowed on the forum any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

I still think Netflix is great value, I am watching alot of great movies, but have to say their PC website is atrocious, on the consoles better but not by much. The new release section has the same movies since I joined when it started here, but I know by searching their is more coming every week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

And yet this is exactly what they offer in the US and UK!
    It doesnt take them time to "build up a catalogue" They already have the catalogue they have just restricted access to it!

I would love lovefilm to come here and set up a bit of competition that would encourage Netflix and others to improve their Irish offerings, sadly I dont see this happening as other providers are looking at Netflix and seeing the poor uptake (because of said crap catalogue) and thus deciding not to bother. Catch 22.

As it is I have to illegally torrent anything I want to watch. Does it bother me that much that the fat cats aren't getting their cut? No not really, but if there was a good legal way of getting such services in Ireland I'd be willing to pay for it for the peace of mind that some MPAA idiot isn't going to decide I'm the next saddam hussein of the media world.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

wolf99 wrote: »
    As it is I have to illegally torrent anything I want to watch.

Nobody has to torrent illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Galvasean wrote: »
    Nobody has to torrent illegally.

True.

If you like signing up to ridiculous SKY contracts or love watching the same old codswallop ad infinitum on RTE then good luck to ya.

(or can splash out for a saor tv)

I didnt mean to say that it was a reason for torrenting illegally, just a way to illustrate that media services should come to Ireland

PS I also just realised how old the thread was that I resurrected. Apologies for that.

Advertisement