Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic book prices

Options
  • 19-01-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey everyone,
    I just started reading and collecting comic books recently. I was charged €4.50 for Wonder Woman #1 and €5.50 for Incredible Hulk #4 and Amazing Spider-man #677 each at my local store. Just wondering what kind of prices others are being charged at other stores around the country because I don't really think I should be paying the equivalent of $5.80 and $7.10 for $2.99 and $3.99 comics respectively. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭draven3410

They're around the right price. US prices aren't what you get charged here because
    a) Diamond Distributors add fees on the price when bringing across the pond
    b) Diamond give the shops the RRP based on their increased prices
    c) Irish Tax increases the price also.

Just get the graphic novels. Much cheaper, about 15-20euro for a serial (about 6issues).

Plus easier to store and collect!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Unfortunately, that's one of the reasons not to read single issues in Ireland (at least, not ones in print that you buy through a shop). The prices you're quoting sound expensive even by Irish comic prices, but tbh five years ago in Cork I was paying €3.50ish for a $2.25 cover price :(

This is why I'm generally getting sick of single issues altogether. It's damn rare to read a single that:
    1) features an entire self-contained story,
    2) has enough meat on its bones that you don't breeze through it in 5 minutes,
    3) isn't made up of at least 1/4 ads
    4) costs £2.50/€3 or less.

The more I think about this, the fewer US comics I want to read in serialised form. At least I can still get those Cinebook reprints at a reasonable price...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Where are you buying from? A lot of comic stores (in Dublin at least) have adopted a $ = € price system, so that if a regular DC comics is $2.99, you'll pay €2.99. €4.50 is mental for WW...

Advertisement