Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road newbie, to competent 100km+ cyclist.

• 19-01-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

5 years of MTB experience, built like a sprinter not a climber and not extremely fit. New bike on BTW scheme and a willingness to spend some time on it getting fitter and road-adept. Full-time college and full-time work mean that I don't have a lot of time to spend till the end of the summer, so my progress will be not that fast. I'm currently 5'10 and 200-205lbs, carrying maybe a stone of excess at the moment. I'm in my early to mid thirties and in good enough health, non-smoker and fairly clean living.

Current state of play, I can cycle ~20km in about 50 minutes, heartrate of about 170-175 average, then turn around and retrace my steps. I have a 6.7km route that involves a failrly long hill in Castletroy in Limerick that I will do laps of depending on how much time I have available.

I'd like to be able to keep up with the Limerick Saturday morning cycling groups, comfortable at an average of 28kph for 2-3 hours, and to be able to do a 100km cycle without feeling dead afterwards.

Next year I'd like to be able to take a week's holiday near Briancon and hit a few of the Cols for fun. I've been kayaking out there a lot and I know the region, and I'd like to say I cycled up to the top of the great climbs. That's a plan for next year instead ;)

I know that I've to start cycling to my heartrate, going for ~2 hours at 140-160 and trying to extend the time that I can cycle, and as I adjust to that, gently pushing the pace a bit. I'll try to update fortnightly as I get miles in the saddle.

Current odo reading ~110km.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi Popoutman,

Good luck with the log, in the same situation myself but I have a log in ART as it also involves running.

I do three bike session a week. 2 short ones, 60 - 90 mins which I push a bit say 140+ bpm, and then one long one, 2.5 hrs and over where I keep the heartrate below 140. The general concensus is that long, slow and steady is the way to build endurance.

As mentioned, I'm also running 3 times a week so this helps my aerobic base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've got no real ability to plan my cycling at the moment, so I tend to take what I can get when I can get it.
    Equipment-wise I've changed the saddle for a Fizik Antares, and a pair of Ultegra 7700 brake calipers arrived in the post and have been installed on the bike - big difference for both the saddle and brakes, I now have more confidence on the bike.

Recently I've completed 5 laps of a ~8km loop around Castletroy with two hills on it (groody r/b, bloodmill road r/b, old tipp road, golf links road, schoolhouse road, past Superquinn, along the Dublin road inbound until the Groody r/b again) 42km at a rate of 2m 32sec per km average. Heart rate for the first two loops was ~175 then I dropped back the pace to a comfortable 160-165. Total time about 1h45.

I did 3 laps of that loop this afternoon between waking up and work for 1 hour on the bike and ~24km distance, trying to keep my heartrate under 175 and mostly succeeding, average was 164 for the hour.

Odo meter reading is currently at ~175

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Got about a 2-hour window today to go for a cycle, so I did 7 laps of Castletroy, for a distance of 54km, in a time of 2h10 or so. Pace of 2m24 per km, average speed of 24.97kph. Average heart rate for the 2 hours (including a 7min pause for a bar and a drink after lap 4) was 154 - that's a big improvement for me.

Ass is not that sore after the cycle, but I have found that I am getting lower back pain across the muscles either side of my spine, from kidneys to pelvis. I think my fitting needs fettling..

Advertisement