Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JobBridge - Do payments increase as normal?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm 24 and currently receiving €144 p/w on Jobseekers' Allowance. If I were to remain unemployed, this payment would automatically be increased to the full rate of €188 p/w as soon as I turn 25. My question is, if I take up an internship with JobBridge, will my payment be frozen at €144 p/w (plus the €50 for doing the internship) or will it automatically increase when I turn 25?

The JobBridge and Dept Social Protection websites give conflicting information. They claim that a) you get the full rate you're entitled to (suggesting that it increases as your entitlement increases); and b) you get the rate you're on at the time you begin the scheme (suggesting that it's frozen).

I'm hoping someone might be able to answer this question from first hand experience? I've tried getting this information from JobBridge, FAS, my local SW office, and the Dept Social Protection. I've spent goodness knows how long on hold listening to muzak and, when I get through no one can give me a straight answer. It's incredibly frustrating! Surely I can't be the only person who's ever asked this question..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

When you turn 25, your rate will increase automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

Definitely? That's great. I wish the people being paid to know this information could be half as helpful. Thanks mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 facemuch

Hey, sorry to bring this back, but did you get the internship and get your internship and money increased too? I'm in the same position now.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

Hey Facemuch,

I got the internship about a month before I turned 25 and my payment increased automatically after my birthday. I didn't have to do anything, they just started paying me the extra. If it doesn't kick in automatically for you, let your local SW office know and they'll sort you out (though it might take a couple of phonecalls). You're entitled to the full rate once you turn 25, even while on JobBridge.

And I got a job out of it in the end so, despite its faults, JobBridge isn't all bad.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 facemuch

bluntspoon wrote: »
    Hey Facemuch,

I got the internship about a month before I turned 25 and my payment increased automatically after my birthday. I didn't have to do anything, they just started paying me the extra. If it doesn't kick in automatically for you, let your local SW office know and they'll sort you out (though it might take a couple of phonecalls). You're entitled to the full rate once you turn 25, even while on JobBridge.

And I got a job out of it in the end so, despite its faults, JobBridge isn't all bad.

Best of luck!

Thank you! That really helps! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement