Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price: for Painting doors frames skirts

• 19-01-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi Im gonna get work done soon and I would like to know what kind of price il be paying.

First off I have 13x 6 panel doors+frame and architrave. Then skirting board in Sitting room, dinning room kitchen hall stairs and landing.

All the doors were painted about 5 years ago and are in good condition.

What kind of prices should I expect for the lot?

Whats the going rate per door etc.

Im going to be buying the materials I presume all I will need to provide a painter is the paint. Is there anything else I could be overlooking?

The house is 7 years old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well you would be probably be better off with a day rate as you can get great price now for a painter for a day....

My estimate would be 2/3 days at 100 to 120 a day.....

Whats involved, all frames crack and probably need filling. Scraping out cracks first then filling. Sanding down and undercoating, glossing,etc....

All this will take time as painter will have to cover up as he goes along, plus take off any door furniture and cut in frame to wall and same for skirting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

mad m wrote: »
    Well you would be probably be better off with a day rate as you can get great price now for a painter for a day....

My estimate would be 2/3 days at 100 to 120 a day.....

Whats involved, all frames crack and probably need filling. Scraping out cracks first then filling. Sanding down and undercoating, glossing,etc....

All this will take time as painter will have to cover up as he goes along, plus take off any door furniture and cut in frame to wall and same for skirting....

only 2-3 days......I thought it would take longer than that. Why would they need an under coat. They are white now so surely fill sand paint.

You have to undercoat the polyfiller as the gloss will just sink into it. Also it gives the gloss a key for a nice finish.

They havent been painted in a few years, so they will have grease marks from hands and probably scuff marks you don't notice, plus they may look white to you but heat from a house does make white go dull over a time.

Also to consider would be to do a Satin Finish (Satin finish is mid sheen) instead of a gloss...But thats up to your personal taste...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

If you get a 'painter' to gloss over them without undercoating then you haven't got a 'painter'!

You are asking and will receive long term problems if you gloss over gloss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

tiocimarla wrote: »
    Hi Im gonna get work done soon and I would like to know what kind of price il be paying.

First off I have 13x 6 panel doors+frame and architrave. Then skirting board in Sitting room, dinning room kitchen hall stairs and landing.

All the doors were painted about 5 years ago and are in good condition.

What kind of prices should I expect for the lot?

Whats the going rate per door etc.

Im going to be buying the materials I presume all I will need to provide a painter is the paint. Is there anything else I could be overlooking?

The house is 7 years old
    You would probably be looking at about 35 euro per door/frame and arca, inc filling. Skirting would be charged per metre depending on size and moulding etc.

Also never get anyone to work on a day rate as the job will cost you twice as much!

• Advertisement

You would probably be looking at about 35 euro per door/frame and arca, inc filling. Skirting would be charged per metre depending on size and moulding etc.

Also never get anyone to work on a day rate as the job will cost you twice as much!

If you got a painter for 4 days at 100/120 a day the OP would still be paying less for a day rate than paying 35euro for a door and frame....13 X 35=455euro...then its the skirting on top of that...

If you got a painter for 4 days at 100/120 a day the OP would still be paying less for a day rate than paying 35euro for a door and frame....13 X 35=455euro...then its the skirting on top of that...
    You really think someone is going to do more work on day rate than they are on price?

You really think someone is going to do more work on day rate than they are on price?

Look those days are long gone, I was one of them years ago. On site doing 3/4/5/6 beds on price.

I know loads of painters who would give anything just for a bit of ( get out of bed and doing a bit) work.....

Look those days are long gone, I was one of them years ago. On site doing 3/4/5/6 beds on price.

I know loads of painters who would give anything just for a bit of ( get out of bed and doing a bit) work.....
    Thats not the point, a fellow that gets paid by the day is under no obligation to do anything. Could paint 6 doors a day and say that is what he considers a days work and there aint much you can do about it.

And if your charging 100 a day, how much tax are you paying out of that. Or is tax just for us geezers who work on price and pay tax, PRSI and insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lads,this isnt going anywhere,than to ruin the OPs thread.

For the record,some trades people do work for cheap rates these days,and are fully legit,this is to avoid them loosing it completely and at least keep their spirits and motivation up,to get out of bed and go to work.

The 1 group/sector that has been hit hardest in this country by depression/mental illness,is the construction/trade skills group/sector.

I really really hate how anyone that works for a cheaper rate in this day and age (just to get some work and keep their motivation up) automaticly gets tainted with this 1 same brush,and is accused on this forum of being a non professional,being dodgey and being a tax cheat.

Leave it out will you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I agree with paddy147. The OP just wants advice ......... not read the stupid bickering. He pays the piper ....... it's not up to him to ask about the painter's tax affairs.

Advertisement