Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox not ejecting tray/ not reading discs.

• 19-01-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I flashed my drive about a month ago with the help of you guys but now I have a problem.

Firstly my DVD drive wouldn't eject. I followed this tutorial on youtube and then the tray opened fine. The xbox would then not read any games that I put in, originals or otherwise.

I took the tape off the magnet and then the tray was stuck again.

So took the covers off the DVD drive and powered up the xbox. The tray opened. I threw a game on it and put the magnet on top of the disc. The disc spun up for a few seconds and stopped again. Now the xbox just says open tray all the time.

Any ideas what's gone wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is it a samsung drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is it a samsung drive.
    No, it's a Lite-On.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

clonadlad wrote: »
    I flashed my drive about a month ago with the help of you guys but now I have a problem.

Firstly my DVD drive wouldn't eject. I followed this tutorial on youtube and then the tray opened fine. The xbox would then not read any games that I put in, originals or otherwise.

I took the tape off the magnet and then the tray was stuck again.

So took the covers off the DVD drive and powered up the xbox. The tray opened. I threw a game on it and put the magnet on top of the disc. The disc spun up for a few seconds and stopped again. Now the xbox just says open tray all the time.

Any ideas what's gone wrong?

Your laser is gone or going try the pot tweak or replace it

justryan wrote: »
    I'm after googling the pot tweak and it seems a bit hard. I'll just replace the drive I think. Where would be the cheapest place for a Lite-On drive? I'll check my friends old xboxs first see if they have a Lite-On in them.

Or can I just buy a new laser?

I'm after googling the pot tweak and it seems a bit hard. I'll just replace the drive I think. Where would be the cheapest place for a Lite-On drive? I'll check my friends old xboxs first see if they have a Lite-On in them.

Just replace the laser will be cheaper no point replacing the whole drive if only the laser is at fault.

• Advertisement

Just replace the laser will be cheaper no point replacing the whole drive if only the laser is at fault.
    Are they difficult to replace? Would you say it's the laser that's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes, it's very easy to do. A couple of mins, but remember to de-solder the small ball of solder first.

Four screws to open the drive casing, three to remove the laser rail and you must desolder the anti-static point on the laser you can pick up a laser on eBay for about €10 definitely worth getting your hands dirty. Open tray seems to indicate the laser has failed, everything else is working the discs spins etc.. So it must be the laser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

itsb the jews that own sony compromisnig digital media. aryans 4 lyf

Mmm k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Racist nonsense, no place for it here.

I followed some advice on another website and I took the belt off and left it in some boiling water for a few minutes so it would contract or something. Now the tray opens and closes grand.

But it still wont read any games. So it sounds like the laser. Can ye recommend any sites or lasers? I used modtraders for my equipment and it's a Lite-On drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

boiling the belt will only work for a few days to a few weeks.
    The rubber fibers in the belt are compromised and it will loosen out again your aswell off replacing the belt.
    Laser wise I use these people http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Benq-Liteon-Laser-Lens-Module-HOP-141B-Xbox-360-DVD-Drive-BRAND-NEW-LENS-/350509406472?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item519bfd1908
    A little more expensive then others but the customer service is second to none in regard to faulty lasers.
    And the lasers are of good quality which is more than I can say for most of the Chinese sellers selling second hand lasers that have had pot tweaks done to get them going and then selling them as brand new.

Thanks for the help lads. I got an xbox off my friend which has RROD. Unfortunately it's a Samsung drive. I've heard of spoofing drives before but I don't know what or how to do it.

I'm already banned from LIVE if that helps a bit!

EDIT: This disc tray isn't ejecting either. Is that usual with RROD? Could it be a problem with this xbox aswell or could it be a power brick problem?(I'm using the same brick for both of them.)

its a samsung drive the drive belts are rubbish and the magnet has a tendency to be too strong stopping the tray from opening.

Like I always say a hitatchi sounds like a jet and can scratch your discs if you move the console during play but at least there reliable.

its a samsung drive the drive belts are rubbish and the magnet has a tendency to be too strong stopping the tray from opening.

Like I always say a hitatchi sounds like a jet and can scratch your discs if you move the console during play but at least there reliable.
    I think I'll stay looking out for a LiteOn so. The laser change sounds a bit dodgey for me and I don't want to waste a tenor on it when I could get a new drive for a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think I'll stay looking out for a LiteOn so. The laser change sounds a bit dodgey for me and I don't want to waste a tenor on it when I could get a new drive for a bit more.

Pavarotti_operatic_tenor_white_bow_tie-thumb-250x304-7030.jpg

EnterNow wrote: »
    Pavarotti_operatic_tenor_white_bow_tie-thumb-250x304-7030.jpg

haha :D
    Classic

But really a lite-on drive is 30-40 euro
    A laser Is €8-9.
    You realize you'll have to pull the DVD key off the drive and flash it onto the new drive.
    Its not a straight swap.
    If you don't feel comfortable with it just get someone else to replace the laser

How's it dodgy it really couldn't be easier you just have to man up and get your hands dirty :D

If you feel its dodgy and you might mess it up theres plenty people on here that will do it for you for a reasonable price.

• Advertisement

Fine so lads, fine. I'll buy this laser!:P Will this one do the job for every LiteOn?

I want to buy off these lads instead of the ebay you posted above cause I'm getting a molex power supply. Sick of my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

The pot tweak is very simple to do.All is needed is a scredriver.Make sure to adjust it very slightly do.

Here is a video on youtube of how to do it
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=how%20to%20fix%20xbox%20open%20tray%20error&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTnVKjlpORYw&ei=lnAlT7ChLYiZhQfBl73nBA&usg=AFQjCNHf3pXzyTYW8uomQrxxRhmEr3W79A

I finally tried the pot tweak guys and it worked. Well when I say pot tweak, I mean I just stayed turning the screw until it started to work.:p Hopefully it should keep the laser running for a little while longer. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I finally tried the pot tweak guys and it worked. Well when I say pot tweak, I mean I just stayed turning the screw until it started to work.:p Hopefully it should keep the laser running for a little while longer. Thanks.

Don't tell me you done it with out a multi-meter to measure the resistance.

I need more help guys. My xbox is still running but I have a problem with another xbox. The flash went well but I have the same problem as with my one. I tried the pot tweak but to no avail. So I'm gonna get a new laser.

What equipment do I need to desolder? And can anyone give me a link of a tutorial on what part I need to desolder? I've never done any soldering so I don't have a clue what I'm at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You need a soldering iron anyways, a low wattage one like 15W or so. If buying a new laser you'll need to remove a ball of solder that joins two pads (joined so ESD doesn't wreck the laser during transport). Easy enough job, a quick swipe with a hot iron and you're done. Hook up the cables, slide it on the rails and presto, replaced laser.

You need a soldering iron anyways, a low wattage one like 15W or so. If buying a new laser you'll need to remove a ball of solder that joins two pads (joined so ESD doesn't wreck the laser during transport). Easy enough job, a quick swipe with a hot iron and you're done. Hook up the cables, slide it on the rails and presto, replaced laser.
    Thanks TV. Would this soldering iron do the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yup, would certainly be able to take off the anti-ESD solder ball on a laser :)

Thanks TV. Would this soldering iron do the job?

You can pick up a decent 30w soldering iron in Woodies for about a €10, this is what I used until it was replaced by the BK6000

• Advertisement
Advertisement