Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indian take-away?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 9:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

Which is the best and most reasonably priced Indian in Galway?

Some of them charge up to €5 for delivery which is awful dear, are they getting a taxi or something :pac: especially when it's like €11 for a curry.

In fact a basic curry and rice is about €15 delivered... is it even that expensive to eat-in??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tulsi is by far the best but im unsure on delivery. Eastern Tandoori a close second, the rest are not up to it in my opinion and tend to be far dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

Tulsi is by far the best but im unsure on delivery. Eastern Tandoori a close second, the rest are not up to it in my opinion and tend to be far dearer.

fairly spot on, but I would have those 2 choices in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's all opinion but these were voted the best recently
    Eastern Tandoori
    Haldi spice
    Tulsi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Anyone eaten in Kumars recently? I haven't been there since it was owned by the little fat lad with the greasy baseball cap (1998?)

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Anyone eaten in Kumars recently? I haven't been there since it was owned by the little fat lad with the greasy baseball cap (1998?)

'cptr

I keep wanting to like it there as I love the building. Have been pretty disappointed with the grub mostly, topped off by a horrible delivery experience last year (late, burnt, small, cold), so I've kinda given up on it. I think the staff are nice though and one friend loves going there.

For delivery I've loved Paprika in Salthill. Good portions and reasonable prices. Delivery skips a day or 2 though, maybe early in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Tulsi only 1 of note in Galway, rest are poor imitations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Only got Tulsi once and found the sauces over-watery.
    Was a while ago though so maybe they've upped their game since.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Shai Palace, love their fresh naan bread, easy parking out front too for a quick drop and collect, and the €5 kebab is gorgeous, nicest I've had in Galway,

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Tulsi is the best I've tasted in Galway. Been a fan the past 10 years :)

coleria wrote: »
    Sahi Palace, love their fresh naan bread, easy parking out front too for a quick drop and collect, and the €5 kebab is gorgeous, nicest I've had in Galway,
    FYP. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Brought 2 guests out to Tulsi Tuesday night because I've heard good reviews about the place. Left very disappointed. Good points lamb(briyani) and chicken(tandoori) cooked perfectly ie not under/over cooked. lamb was tender. that's about it.
    So flavourless and bland..there's over a dozen spices that goes into a briyani but I just couldnt get any flavour. Tandoori chicken looked like it was mainly marinated in a red dye of some sort. Ordered chapati as a side but what they gave us was naan bread claimed by the waiter to be chapati. Onion bhaji,dry and overcooked. All mains tasted more on the sweet side. Both my guests never finished their mains and I still have it in the fridge. Sorry to say but, over the years I've been to 4/5 Indians in Galway,none of them have ever been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

'cptr

Went there Nov 2011.Never going back.

Went to the (cant remember the name) Indian across the fire station & opposite the tyre place in 2010.Never going back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

Khazana in clare galway is by far the nicest. there just outta the way and dont deliver but any main course and ya can get pilau rice with it for a tenner and ya can throw in pretty much any naan for less the 3 euro and foods lovely

Brought 2 guests out to Tulsi Tuesday night because I've heard good reviews about the place. Left very disappointed. Good points lamb(briyani) and chicken(tandoori) cooked perfectly ie not under/over cooked. lamb was tender. that's about it.
    So flavourless and bland..there's over a dozen spices that goes into a briyani but I just couldnt get any flavour. Tandoori chicken looked like it was mainly marinated in a red dye of some sort. Ordered chapati as a side but what they gave us was naan bread claimed by the waiter to be chapati. Onion bhaji,dry and overcooked. All mains tasted more on the sweet side. Both my guests never finished their mains and I still have it in the fridge. Sorry to say but, over the years I've been to 4/5 Indians in Galway,none of them have ever been good.
    Dissappointing stuff alright. Ive been many times over the years and never had a bad experience once. Murgi Makhanwala and Chicken Patala are their 2 best dishes in my opinion. The garlic naan is always perfect too.

Sorry to say but, over the years I've been to 4/5 Indians in Galway,none of them have ever been good.
    Went there Nov 2011.Never going back.
    Went to the (cant remember the name) Indian across the fire station & opposite the tyre place in 2010.Never going back.
    See charter about post anti-recommendations
    Taste in food, as many other things, is very subjective and that's why people enjoy different things. One man's favourite meal could be next man's worst experience. Or the other way around.
    That's the reason behind the "no anti-recommendations".

While Paprika in Salthill isn't the most scenic place to eat-in (it's plain enough, but the service is very good), but we love it for take-away/delivery, and find that it is definitely the best value, particularly for veggie stuff, in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 netty_K

Kumars beside spanish arch is Yum!

netty_K wrote: »
    Kumars beside spanish arch is Yum!

Did you join just to tell us netty? lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 netty_K

Haha - Noooo, that just happened to be my first post , have been a lurker for while and decided to take the plunge
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I have to agree with the Kumars they even gave me a free bottle of beer because I was picking up a big enough order

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 getthem

Another one for Kumars here... A class above the rest IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I have to agree with the Kumars they even gave me a free bottle of beer because I was picking up a big enough order
    Last time I picked up an order from Kumars it was just a Chicken Balti and rice for myself. They still gave me a bottle of beer though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

cooperguy wrote: »
    Last time I picked up an order from Kumars it was just a Chicken Balti and rice for myself. They still gave me a bottle of beer though

and there was me thinking i was special :o, but seriously great people in there and great food, gotta say to great date spot too

Does any of the places serve Phal or Vindaloo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

all them, they might not be listed but can still be ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the freesatter

My wife and i had a meal in the Kashmir on Sunday last. Very dissapointed by the food. We ordered lamb madras and lamb dopiaza,could'nt tell which was which,both tasted the same.Meat was fatty and chewy,complained to waiter
    but no joy.
    W'ont be going back
    This was our first time in Galway and enjoyed our visit to this fine city apart from the Kashmir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Kumars seem to have had delivery problems of late, waited 1hour and 10 mins to get a delivery in the Renmore/GMIT locality, this happened twice and while Kumars were very apologetic the service left a lot to be desired.Tried Sahi Palace and liked it, prices cheaper than most other places for the same quality.

As I've said before I love the building Kumar's is in, and have really tried to love the food. After many many tries, nope. Never. Worst delivery experience *ever* too with them. On a positive note, the staff are very nice, and though the place was *freezing* they tried to bring heaters etc to our table (I was there for a work related do).

I was chatting about this thread to a friend who likes them - he reckons they do his favourite chicken dish well, and one lamb dish , and that's it. He brought a date last time and all her veggie dishes were disappointing. He's a creature of habit and it works for him for his chicken. Can't remember which dish it was? Korma maybe.

A lot of reviews of these places depend on what you order too. Some places seem to do certain dishes well and not so much care with others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

inisboffin wrote: »
    Can't remember which dish it was? Korma maybe.
    That's a bit like being recommended a pub by someone who only drinks water.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Can't remember which dish it was? Korma maybe.
    That's a bit like being recommended a pub by someone who only drinks water.

Ha ha! For some people, eating Indian food is not always about having the mouth burnt off ya! A really good Korma is subtle and delicately spiced and hard to get right! But you have a point, my friend tends to like spicier and dryer so I probably wasn't Korma.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement