Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a whiskey for february

Options
  • 19-01-2012 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Started drinking whiskey last year and I've developed a taste for it.

I'm going to buy a nice bottle in Feb, when I'm back on the wagon, and looking for advice.

I've been doing a bit of research and I like the sound of Writers Tears. Am I correct in saying that no colourants are added and it's not chill filtered? It looks like the only one in the €40 bracket with these characteristics.

Budget is about €70 max.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks
    CJ
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

Id say check out some of the japanesse range!

Im a big fan of the NIKKA black or red!
    The black is quite peaty/oak

where as the red has alot more vanilla,fruit,floral notes and just just awesome!

But the black for its buck would be my pick! only around 45/50 in Celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Some of the bottles I'm particularly enjoying at the moment are Monkey Shoulder,Bowmore Tempest,Laphraoig Quarter Cask,Glenmorangie Signet and Talisker 10yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I've been doing a bit of research and I like the sound of Writers Tears. Am I correct in saying that no colourants are added and it's not chill filtered? It looks like the only one in the €40 bracket with these characteristics.

CJ

I am not sure if it's chill filtered or coloured. I can't find anywhere on the bottle where it says whether it is or not, although maybe it's on the box. Maybe it's the cask strength version that's not chill filtered or coloured?

It's worth buying. Very nice. Or, if it's this style of whiskey you like (that said, this one is unique, being a blend of pure pot still and malt...), you might try the Redbreast 12, Redbreast 12 cask strength or Redbreast 15. The last two are not chill filtered and are great whiskeys. They're all pure pot still.

I think colouring depends on the batch. Hard to know if it's been coloured or not, but they do colour some of it, I believe.

Powers John's Lane and Green Spot are other options in this category. Both great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Thanks for the replies. Definitely going to try those Japanese and Scotch but I have my heart set on an Irish bottle.

I think I'm going to go for the Redbreast but:

Gun to your head........the redbreast 15 v the 12 cask strengh......what do you do....what do you do?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks for the replies. Definitely going to try those Japanese and Scotch but I have my heart set on an Irish bottle.

Gun to your head........the redbreast 15 v the 12 cask strengh......what do you do....what do you do?

the cask strength will go further as you need to add more water to it. The 15 has more ageing so should have different characteristics.

If it were me, I'd see if I could get two bottles in te 35-40 region rather than one in the 70-80 region. So a rb 12 standard bottling and a writers tears would be better than just one of the cask strength or the 15. Why not buy two bottles and drink them side by side with water in between so you can taste the difference in the two styles.

• Advertisement

I don't know really. Personally, I'd probably go for the Redbreast 15. Although it's not cask strength, it's bottled at a higher abv than regular Irish whiskey - 46%.

But as Johnnyskeleton says, you might be able to get too good bottles for the price. Again, this is just my taste, but I'd prefer the Powers 12 to the Writers Tears. That's good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd suggest going to a bar with a good whiskey selection and trying one of each. You should have a good idea which is the one then. Personally I would go for the Redbrest 15 as well!

Thanks again for the advice. I think I'm going to try a few in Bowe's and see how I get on.

Anyone have a preference between the RB 12 and the Powers John's lane?
    I was recommended the Powers just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Thanks again for the advice. I think I'm going to try a few in Bowe's and see how I get on.

Anyone have a preference between the RB 12 and the Powers John's lane?
    I was recommended the Powers just there.

Personally I prefer Redbreast, but both excellent.

Can anyone tell me how Redbreast 15 compares (i.e. is it worth twice the price)? I don't like Greenspot at all (seems very bland to me), love redbreast 12 and like powers john lane and powers 12 if that helps.

f.

Redbreast 15 is more intense, more sherry influenced, in my opinion. I think it's a bit heavier and oilier than the 12 - a better mouthfeel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Greenspot is amazing, it hurts me to hear you think its bland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't think I've heard bland and greenspot in the same sentence before.

Granted Greenspot is not everyone's cup of tea but bland it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I'll try it again, but i definitely thought it was bland rather than unpleasant. Might try the rb 15 in a bar first and thenspring for a bottle.

I tried a few in L. Mulligan's and tasted most of the ones I had my eye on, including both of the RBs. They had run out of the Writer's Tears which was a disappointment, but overall a great selection.

I went for the Powers John's Lane in the end. I thought it was head and shoulders above the rest.

Just a personal opinion of course.

It's a great whiskey, sure enough. Might have some myself tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Bought a bottle of the Tyrconnell 10 year old Port Finish.

Wow - what a whiskey - it's like Black Bush on steroids. Beautiful flavours and balanced finished. I'll defo be checking out the Madeira finish which is supposed to be even better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Check out the Madeira finish if you can, also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lads,
    I've always hugely preferred scotch over Irish for my sins. Laphroaig being my favourite by a county mile, on the quarter cask now, which I hugely recommend.

So clearly I love the peaty type, what Irish single malt would give my Laphroaig I good run for its money??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well my first piece of advise would be to try a range of whisky's that are not peated but to answer question, try something like connemara peated whiskey.

There's also Turf Mor - which some people rave about my I don't personally rate at all but if you are into peated whiskies you should certainly at least try it.

Not a huge amount of other peated Irish whisky's that I know about.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lads,
    I've always hugely preferred scotch over Irish for my sins. Laphroaig being my favourite by a county mile, on the quarter cask now, which I hugely recommend.

So clearly I love the peaty type, what Irish single malt would give my Laphroaig I good run for its money??

Of the single malts, you'd have to get a Cooley, as mentioned above. In my opinion, the best Irish peated single malts are the single casks from Cooley or the Cadenhead Cooleys. They might be a little hard to get.

Connemara 12, Connemara and Connemara cask strength are the regulars from the range. The Celtic Whiskey Shop will have some single casks, but they're expensive. They would have also done some bottles for various places.

Locke's is slightly peated and very nice, I think. As is Innisowen. I'm not such a big fan of that one myself, though.

Hewitts used to be peated many, many years ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lads,

I would describethe different islays as follows:

ardbeg and laphroaig are very peaty, tcp flavoured whiskies whose 10 yo or less are too peaty for me. The older laphroaigs are quite nice though as the iodine flavour decreases. I'd like to try the ardbeg aligator (from a very charred cask) but at 120 squid it's too expensive for me.

Bowmore is less peaty than those two and has to my taste a more complex, heavier whisky.

Caol ila and lagavulin are more smoky than peaty and have a richer, oilier flavour. The laga 16 is often considered the benchmark islay.

Bruichladdich is not very peaty usually (well except the octomore) but they have many interesting varieties. They also have the slightly mental x4 + 3 which is an almost overpowering whisky.

I haven't really tasted much bunnahabhain, kilchoman or the closed port ellen.

So maybe try some other islays or perhaps talisker.

Bunnahabhain is gentle and not very peaty at all - sweet shop. I love it.

Port Ellen is peaty - I'd say a bit like Caol Ila.

Kilchoman is very good, for a distillery with such young whiskies. Peaty too.

My two favourites, that are somewhat affordable, are the Ardbeg Corryvreckan and the Lagavulin 16. Bowmore, they say, went through a period of producing a very perfumed whisky that wasn't to the taste of the bloggers etc. It appears they have rectified this, if it was ever the case. The best Bowmores are brilliant.

Brockagh wrote: »
    Port Ellen is peaty - I'd say a bit like Caol Ila.

Port Ellen haven't produced whiskey since 1983. you would be doing well to find a bottle much less afford one.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Port Ellen haven't produced whiskey since 1983. you would be doing well to find a bottle much less afford one.

The whisky exchange sells them. AFAIK they are doing limited releases of the last batches at the moment.

While were on the I lays, has anyone tried the unpeated caol Ila? I have a bottle but don't want to open it just yet

You can buy it there yeah, not cheap though ...

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/B-40-Port_Ellen.aspx

TBH if I was spending that kind of money on a bottle I'd go in a different direction,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ardbeg and laphroaig are very peaty, tcp flavoured whiskies

This reminds me of the time I tried to explain what TCP was to my American boss via IRC to demonstrate why I dont like Laphroaig. A hard task since he loves Laphroaig.

syklops wrote: »
    ardbeg and laphroaig are very peaty, tcp flavoured whiskies

This reminds me of the time I tried to explain what TCP was to my American boss via IRC to demonstrate why I dont like Laphroaig. A hard task since he loves Laphroaig.

Medicinal iodine? Is that what it is? They probably have something similar in the us, sure they aren't that technologically backwards.

Reminds me of an anecdote I heard that laphroaig could be legally sold in the us during prohibition because the excise authorities couldn't understand why someone would drink it for pleasure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Medicinal iodine? Is that what it is?
    It's mostly chlorinated phenols. Phenols are what makes Laphroaig (and any smoky beer or whisk(e)y) taste smoky.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Medicinal iodine? Is that what it is?
    It's mostly chlorinated phenols. Phenols are what makes Laphroaig (and any smoky beer or whisk(e)y) taste smoky.

I was talking about what alternatives to tcp they might have in the us rather than what makes laphroaig taste how it does.

EDIT: ah, tcp is phenols. Makes sense

Advertisement