Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a whiskey for february

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

adrian522 wrote: »
    Port Ellen haven't produced whiskey since 1983. you would be doing well to find a bottle much less afford one.

There are lots of bottles available. They won't be producing anymore, because it's just a maltings now - the distillery equipment has been dismantled. But Diageo do an annual release and there were tons of casks, particularly 1982 casks, sold to independent bottlers. The price of them has gone up lots in the last few years. I bought a good few for around £50 in years gone by.

They can be great, but it maybe receives more attention just because it's closed and it is on Islay.

Best value ones these days are done by Old Bothwell.

The whisky exchange sells them. AFAIK they are doing limited releases of the last batches at the moment.

While were on the I lays, has anyone tried the unpeated caol Ila? I have a bottle but don't want to open it just yet

I have - the 8 yr old? It's grand, quite nice. And on the other end of the scale, the usually lightly peated Bunnahabhain are now making some heavily peated whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

my current favorite is the Oban single malt 14 years...
    http://www.whisky.com/brands/oban_brand.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brockagh wrote: »
    The whisky exchange sells them. AFAIK they are doing limited releases of the last batches at the moment.

While were on the I lays, has anyone tried the unpeated caol Ila? I have a bottle but don't want to open it just yet

I have - the 8 yr old? It's grand, quite nice. And on the other end of the scale, the usually lightly peated Bunnahabhain are now making some heavily peated whisky.

So it's nothing special? I have the 12, but I feared that for my 50quid I'd only be getting a fairly ordinary single malt, but it will be interesting to side by side it with normal 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

They probably have something similar in the us, sure they aren't that technologically backwards.

I said "Do you have TCP over there?" and being hilarious(and Director of InfoSec) he said"No, only UDP ha ha". If you didnt get that, it was a poor computer joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

syklops wrote: »
    They probably have something similar in the us, sure they aren't that technologically backwards.

I said "Do you have TCP over there?" and being hilarious(and Director of InfoSec) he said"No, only UDP ha ha". If you didnt get that, it was a poor computer joke.

TCP/IP protocol or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I bought my father a bottle of Bunnahabhain Totach which seems to be the one you're referring to. He's quite a fan.

So it's nothing special? I have the 12, but I feared that for my 50quid I'd only be getting a fairly ordinary single malt, but it will be interesting to side by side it with normal 12

Ah no, it's very nice, but I just don't think it's brilliant, but someone else might. Great to taste an unpeated Caol Ila.

Morf wrote: »
    I bought my father a bottle of Bunnahabhain Totach which seems to be the one you're referring to. He's quite a fan.

Yeah, the Toitach, or something like that, and the Moine are the peated versions of the Bunnahabhains. There might be another name too.

I've a 10th share in a heavily peated Bunnahabhain that's maturing in Bladnoch, Wigtown. I forget I have it every now and again. Get excited when I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

The older laphroaigs are quite nice though as the iodine flavour decreases. I'd like to try the ardbeg aligator (from a very charred cask) but at 120 squid it's too expensive for me.

Try masterofmalt.com they do smaller samples. The alligator is much nicer than the 10 even if i only got 30ml of it ;)

• Advertisement

It could be in my head, but the pre-LVMH Ardbeg 10 is better than the current one. It's a truly great whisky.

I think they were using older whisky in it, as they didn't have the stocks of the 10 as the distillery was closed for a period. They may have also done things differently at the distillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

It could be in my head, but the pre-LVMH Ardbeg 10 is better than the current one. It's a truly great whisky.

I think they were using older whisky in it, as they didn't have the stocks of the 10 as the distillery was closed for a period. They may have also done things differently at the distillery.

Possibly a touch less sherry cask in the blend too maybe ... I had some of the old 17yo and it was wonderful.

I thought Ardbeg 10 was all bourbon cask matured? I don't know.

They have these rectifiers in the stills that they can turn on or off, which affects the whisky, and all sorts of other things, the way they peat the barley etc.

Ardbeg is very good, although there are lots of people out there who say everything they produce is a world-beater, regardless of how good it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Picked up some Connemara peated recently, sipping some here, tis lovely.
    Not quite as peaty as laphroaig, has that distinctive Irishness (if that makes sense) off it that i like.

Advertisement