Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stimulate milk production

Options
  • 19-01-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Does anyone know where I can get mothers milk tea from? I need something to stimulate my milk supply and fenugreek capsules haven't done the job so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Are you eating porridge/oats? I've heard mothers saying one or two bowls of porridge a day really helps. Amazon sell mothers milk tea but a health food shop probably does too. I can attach links because I'm using my iPhone but look up kellymom for ways to increase your supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

How much fenugreek are you taking?

I agree with the porridge/ oats as well- a generous bowl a day :D
    Also plenty of water...
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed put this in (feel free to delete mods) but motilium is meant to help with boosting supply as well.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html
    This is a link to the supply section on the Kellymom site.

liliq apparently there was a study recently which found side effects to taking motilium in such large quantities. I heard this from mums who were previously taking it to increase their supply. I don't know the ins and outs of it but I'd urge mothers to inform themselves of the pros and cons before taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I found it pretty easily in Evergreen in Galway, so I'd imagine most other health food shops would have it too.

This is the brand I got
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holle-Organic-Nursing-Teas-Breastfeeding/dp/B003U3ZBSK

Honestly I can't say I have noticed if it has made any difference, but I haven't taken very much of it & I haven't had any supply problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Its the domperidone in motilium thats used to increase supply.. 3, 3 times a day.. for about 3 weeks. its a lot easier i the states to get these amounts over the counter (where everything is in bigger quantities) but i'd ask the gp before you try anything this extreme.

The best thing is frequent feeding. the more often you feed the more milk you produce, plenty of water and make sure you're eating regularly and enough..you need up to 500 extra calories per day, you don't say how old your baby is... if under 6 weeks your milk supply won't be fully established, so more frequent feedings best..;)

• Advertisement

Yes definitely frequent feeding without any set routine is the best way to increase supply. If that means getting into bed or sitting on the bed/sofa with a box set or a good book for a few days then try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Yogi Tee do a breastfeeding tea with fennel which I found worked really well (a little too well sometimes!). I got some in Down to Earth on Camden Street. You can just infuse a fairly strong dose of fennel seeds too. Keeping well hydrated is really important too, as is demand feeding for the first little while at least. All the best, and well done for sticking at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mauzouni

Thanks for all your advice! I have taken more fenugreek over the past days and could notice a slight increase. I'll give it a go with the tea as well as pumping as often as possible (we have a latching issue).

mauzouni if you have latching problems you should see a la Leche league or ciudiu counsellor because your supply issue won't resolve itself otherwise. Feeding your baby from the breast is the most effective way to establish, increase and maintain supply.

Advertisement