Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving birth in water in Galway

Options
  • 19-01-2012 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi, does anybody know if this is possible in any local hospital, even private?
    Any info much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

One or two midwives do it or used to perhaps...maybe they are uninsurable now. I can confirm it has happened in Galway before but not in a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We're going to play underwater chess and charades next week if that's any good to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Ficheall wrote: »
    We're going to play underwater chess and charades next week if that's any good to you?

Yeah, if you dont mind I will join and give birth on side, I wont bother you much, thanks.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    One or two midwives do it or used to perhaps...maybe they are uninsurable now. I can confirm it has happened in Galway before but not in a hospital.

It's strange this option is not available in a hospital, I thought its very popular around the world and doesnt require so much special equipment. (only big bath!?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ireland is crazy about court cases for millions of €s or had you not noticed??

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ireland is crazy about court cases for millions of €s or had you not noticed??

I just read about it, but it's stupid, it happens during "regular" births as well that something goes not right.. pity, because I love water and I think it great for baby too!
    Still if anybody know more about any options, please post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

An older thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52730125

There is also a section on this site for water births.

http://www.homebirth.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Most midwives are not trained in water births. There are a few homebirth midwives that will do a waterbirth with you. The homebirth website posted above will be able to give you some numbers, but you have to book early or they may be booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I enquired about it last year in the Rotunda. The Midwife told me they have a lovely room all kitted out and 2 staff trained in it, but due to an 'incident' somewhere in another hopsital they no longer offer the service. Its a shame really.

That really is a shame. I was watching "one born every minute" on channel 4 recently and birth in water looked so calm and comfortable. Sure there might be different cases. I am very disappointed. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement