Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anfocal.ie

• 19-01-2012 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

go go go go go go go

what do people think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

It actually looks very impressive, I like the design a lot! :)

I suppose the fact that it was done by a former boardsie might have something to do with it. ;)

So far, I've only found one error (courtesy of bazkennedy) but it's been noted by the team, so it should be patched up quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

1. The navagation bar - all the links say "Unauthorized Action"
    Edit: This has been fixed, but now there's a huge white space between the first and subsequent entries

2. The search feature, there's a huge white space between the first and second search result.
    3. The logo on the bottom right of the page... Kieran Caplice created AnFocal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Polar Ice wrote: »
    1. The navagation bar - all the links say "Unauthorized Action"
    Edit: This has been fixed, but now there's a huge white space between the first and subsequent entries

2. The search feature, there's a huge white space between the first and second search result.

He created the site. He's doing the new version of the ULFM one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

The same error is causing the white space in both pages. If you're familiar with WP themes, category and search results use the same theme file to display posts.
    Myself. Do you have any positive thoughts on the site?

Only things I don't like so far is the speed at which the top story rotates. Currently it's about five seconds, imo a bit too fast. But that's just me.

And also the topics sidebar is a bit cluttered, showing too many topics in an untidy way.

Other than that, a really impressive site. Really like the layout and presentation of stories.

Particularly happy that there's a Gaeilge section, hope this is updated regularly as well.

Good job to all involved, should only get better with time I reckon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    He created the site. He's doing the new version of the ULFM one as well.

I am sorry but you are just plain wrong

TfMdo.png

proof that he did indeed create an focal and not just the site :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Why buy a new domain when a subdomain of ulsu.ie would have worked, and helped reinforce the fact that it's a ULSU publication?

Extra space in sections has been fixed.

yuppy700 wrote: »

TfMdo.png

Haha sorry...ddn't even pick up on this when Polar Ice posted it. I'll fix that shortly.... :D
    Only things I don't like so far is the speed at which the top story rotates. Currently it's about five seconds, imo a bit too fast. But that's just me.
    Yep, can change that. It was at 6 seconds, I've increased it to 10.
    And also the topics sidebar is a bit cluttered, showing too many topics in an untidy way.
    Any suggestions to improve it?
    Other than that, a really impressive site. Really like the layout and presentation of stories.

Particularly happy that there's a Gaeilge section, hope this is updated regularly as well.
    Good stuff!smile.gif
    Why buy a new domain when a subdomain of ulsu.ie would have worked, and helped reinforce the fact that it's a ULSU publication?
    Don't ask me about that...I just designed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Chimaera wrote: »

It can be accessed by either www.anfocal.ie or anfocal.ulsu.ie

The answer for why the domain was bought-well, if the site was setup on just the subdomain some would say well why was the domain not setup. Considering the site itself is quite professional the domain was a nobrainer.

TfMdo.png

Fixed. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Decryptor wrote: »
    Myself. Do you have any positive thoughts on the site?

TfMdo.png

Haha sorry...ddn't even pick up on this when Polar Ice posted it. I'll fix that shortly.... :D

Success! I managed to solicit the typical ULSU response, due to a lack of realisation. Thanks for actually spotting it Kieran, not everyone always does. :pac:

Success! I managed to solicit the typical ULSU response, due to a lack of realisation. Thanks for actually spotting it Kieran, not everyone always does. :pac:
    No problem...I think. Actually it was the way you said it that confused me. Of course the screenshot was the winner. :p

BTW, I wouldn't consider my reply to be a "ULSU response"...it's not official or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

. Thanks for actually spotting it Kieran, not everyone always does. :pac:

He must have went to specsavers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I think it looks excellent, fair play to all involved!

Nice, sleek and tidy design, not too cluttered and easy to navigate and read. Ticks all the boxes for me! Quality of pictures is very good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

does look sweet in-fairness, good job to all involved, i have it bookmarked on my toolbar, and will defo look at it regularly, the last site flash based i think, was a joke

1 feature request if possible, enable RSS ?

Stuxnet wrote: »
    1 feature request if possible, enable RSS ?
    Link in the footer - http://www.anfocal.ie/feed

Also works for any of the sections, just add /feed to the URL, e.g. http://www.anfocal.ie/section/comment/feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Link in the footer - http://www.anfocal.ie/feed

Also works for any of the sections, just add /feed to the URL, e.g. http://www.anfocal.ie/section/comment/feed
    legend !! i was looking in my addressbar for the icon !!

cheers

Stuxnet wrote: »
    legend !! i was looking in my addressbar for the icon !!

cheers
    Address bar icon should now be there...

Any suggestions to improve it?

Maybe have it with a list of the most viewed stories over the past 24 hours or something?

Also, could the site have been launched at a better time or what? I reckon ye bribed SAA to make a balls of the results on purpose to have a story to draw in views. :pac: :pac:

Maybe have it with a list of the most viewed stories over the past 24 hours or something?
    I decided it was best to remove it altogether....didn't like the look of it.
    Also, could the site have been launched at a better time or what? I reckon ye bribed SAA to make a balls of the results on purpose to have a story to draw in views. :pac: :pac:
    :D
    Not sure about that...like I said:
    Don't ask me about that...I just designed it.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Would it be possible to have a navigation pane letting the viewer pause, fo forward or go back, on the montage of news stories, similar to Yahoo's frontpage ?

Nice site anyway, good job Decryptor.

Would it be possible to have a navigation pane letting the viewer pause, fo forward or go back, on the montage of news stories, similar to Yahoo's frontpage ?
    Yep, definitely possible. I should be able to add that within the next week or two, I'm a bit caught up with other stuff at the minute...thanks for the suggestion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

well done guys. Was always a sticking point that an focal was not online and that most news was weeks out of date. gladly thats behind us now

well done to the designer, a real professional job. Good luck to kelly and the rest of the an focal team juggling the two (plus ULFM).

It's nice to have ULFM linked on the site, but could I recommend that when you click the link it opens in a popup like the player on the ULFM site, rather than a new tab as it does now?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It's nice to have ULFM linked on the site, but could I recommend that when you click the link it opens in a popup like the player on the ULFM site, rather than a new tab as it does now?
    Yep, will get that done when the ULFM site is finished. If I forget, please remind me! :)

anfocal.ie shone today imho. Breaking the news about the shops was a major coup, and shows the value of this site.

One minor thing about the comments though. At the moment it sorts them by time, which is fine, it's not a major issue, but maybe it might be worth considering implementing the IGN system, whereby the comments that get the most replies and likes are shown on top?

(Although I suppose this mightn't really be feasible since most comments seem to only get 2 or 3 likes each, but just an idea to consider)

One minor thing about the comments though. At the moment it sorts them by time, which is fine, it's not a major issue, but maybe it might be worth considering implementing the IGN system, whereby the comments that get the most replies and likes are shown on top?

(Although I suppose this mightn't really be feasible since most comments seem to only get 2 or 3 likes each, but just an idea to consider)
    Yep, the option is available to sort by "popular" or "best" first, where "best first" displays comments with the most likes first and "popular" displays comments that are gaining popularity quickly - which, I think, is calculated based on the amount of likes/replies it gets in the time it exists.

But for now, I think your second point makes sense - there aren't enough comments being "liked" for the time being, but when more people start reading/liking, we can enable it.

Yep, the option is available to sort by "popular" or "best" first, where "best first" displays comments with the most likes first and "popular" displays comments that are gaining popularity quickly - which, I think, is calculated based on the amount of likes/replies it gets in the time it exists.

But for now, I think your second point makes sense - there aren't enough comments being "liked" for the time being, but when more people start reading/liking, we can enable it.

Ooopsie. :o:o:o:o How'd I miss that? :o

Sorry to revive this topic, but for anyone interested I've just added a mobile version of the site so you can browse the site a bit more easily on your phones. :)

Any issues let me know - I've no doubt there will be some.

EDIT: also some visual changes being made to the site as requested by the new editor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement