Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another NCT question!

Options
  • 19-01-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have a peugeot 306 and I'm about to put it through the NCT next week, had a problem with what I think is called the silencer half way down the exhaust. I got one of those DIY patch jobs because it had a pretty flithy hole in the side but I did manage to do a decent enough job :) so the question is will it pass haha or will I have to replace it with a shiny new one :mad:

Thanks for any replys!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

They won't pass that no. Maybe get one out of the scrappers as a new one can be quite expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

swhyte027 wrote: »
    They won't pass that no.

On the contrary, they might! It's just two months since the exhaust broke on my friend's car at 5pm when it was due the test at 9-30am next day. Obviously there was no time to get a new exhaust. We decided to botch a job. We joined it with a bit of tin and jubilee clips then sealed the gas leaks with Gungum. The next morning I was amazed to be told it had passed.

The important thing (and the only thing) is the emissions. If the engine is OK and there are no air leaks in the repair, the emissions should be right. The NCT don't care about the aesthetics, they just check the emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 unreal_event

i agree with wheelnut there, those patch kits are up to scratch and once it is fully sealed and no leak and emissions read right you should be in the clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Eddie Smart

They don't check the condition of the exhaust and if it is not leaking on emission test then you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

if you intend to keep the car you would be as well off to replace the silencer with a new one or one from a scrapyard ,as those botch jobs dont last, and you will be under the car again in a few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Jimmy Savel

I see your point dharn but like a lot of people these's days the finances are low ha just need the car to do me until the end of may for getting in and out of college so hopefully I'll be alright for those few months! I did manage to do a dencent enough job of it, hopefully its ok for the emissions! Thanks for all the help lads and I'll let you's know how it go's next weekend

couldn't believe it but it passed on the exhaust although it had that putty and repair straps all over it lol but it failed on a worn ball joint time to get that hands dirty again, thanks agin for all the help chaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

well done on updating, most people dont bother

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Eddie Smart

Jimmy, one worn ball joint is not bad at all. Could be worse. Good luck with the re-test.

Dharn my aim is to please haha yeah should be a simple enough fix, hopefully, gonna retest on friday or saturday hopefully that will be an end to it and I can move on to tax, its all money money money

• Advertisement
Advertisement